Thread: Petition to Correct the White House's Definition of 2A

Petition to Correct the White House's Definition of 2A

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ution/QmQ5xKzV

On the whitehouse.gov website, The summary of the Second Amendment is as-follows:

The Second Amendment gives citizens the right to bear arms.
    Please join to have this under-addressing of the meaning of the Right corrected.

WHY do people think that signing some on-line petition is going to have any meaningful effect on legislators/executives who are not already inclined towards to object of the petition.

Call your Congressman and both of your Senators and tell them you want them to take action (refuse to fund is the usual route) to stop the White House/Executive Branch from continuing the web page unless they add "keeping" to "bearing" arms.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

WHY do people think that signing some on-line petition is going to have any meaningful effect on legislators/executives who are not already inclined towards to object of the petition.

Call your Congressman and both of your Senators and tell them you want them to take action (refuse to fund is the usual route) to stop the White House/Executive Branch from continuing the web page unless they add "keeping" to "bearing" arms.

stay safe.
    Feel-goods, that's why.
    Same reason for that whole "Kony2012" fad: sign some petition, "Like" some social media page, and/or put a little sticker on your notebook.
    Besides, it's much less labor intensive than actually acting on the problem to try to effect change.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    Best to get their constituent's emails/letters together and show them that Americans are not as brain dead as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    And the WH gets a list of names, email adresses, and other personal info that most of us would prefer they don't have!
    If there is a list that I am not on, I have done something wrong.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

There are some lists that we must and should be on.

What world do you want to live? When they use that list and come to take your guns then take one or two with you into that good night. Go to church, have a faith, confess, take communion, be ready.

How many of the petitions at WH.gov have accomplished anything, the ones directing FedGov particularly? This one is more such feel good puffery.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-10-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

"The 2A "gives" the right to bear arms?"

Shyeah....

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    And the WH gets a list of names, email adresses, and other personal info that most of us would prefer they don't have!
    Don't fool yourself. They already have it.

Of course, we all know the flip side to this petition - in a month or 2 the gov will look and say "Everyone must like our change". Only 18 signed the petition.
    Last edited by wittmeba; 08-10-2014 at 09:09 AM.

[QUOTE=Nightmare;2081338How many of the petitions at WH.gov have accomplished anything, the ones directing FedGov particularly?[/QUOTE]

As a student of history, I realized five years ago precisely what Obama was up to, collecting dissenter info for future reference.

Please don't tell me you actually gave the bastard your info... (hangs head very low)
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Much ado about nothing.

It is usually considered polite Interwebz etiquette to post a link to the site referenced.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/our-govern...e-constitution

There is, on that page, a link to the full text of the US Constitution.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    As a student of history, I realized five years ago precisely what Obama was up to, collecting dissenter info for future reference. Please don't tell me you actually gave the bastard your info... (hangs head very low)
    A student of history? What does your history say of the Buddhist monks' self-immolation, of Thích Quảng Đức for instance?

History is written by the victors, but we are doomed for not remembering the past. We are doomed for not remembering our past under tyrant governments very much like Obama's FedGov. Confess a faith, be shriven, be ready. MOLON LABE
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.