• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ron Paul talks about Anarchy

sudden valley gunner

Someone who gets it!

I find it laughable when people will call me an anarchist and then ascribe to that term one of violence and chaos and destruction of private property. Yet I am one who is for respecting property, paying for your crimes, non initiation of violence and coercion, and for liberty. Something their very adherence to the state over individuals is the opposite of.

waskel

Possibly. It's been attributed to several people, unlike this,

"To be called to account publicly for what others have said in your name, when you cannot defend yourself, is a sad situation indeed."

77zach

We won't be allowed the choice. Any freedom we have is a matter of cultural preference or convenience, not principle. The mass of humanity operates on a situational ethic where each new problem is completely novel to them. This combined with a love of authority figures and the libido dominandi make general freedom impossible with this many people. It's fun to talk about though.

That's why it's so important to get people interested in guns and shooting. They won't defend their rights but they may if it's their hobby too.

stealthyeliminator

Anarcho-Capitalist...works until your neighbor, that owes you 'X', decides not to pay you. How is a redress of wrongs then accomplished.

Take them to court, obviously. :rolleyes:

Edit: or numerous other methods. There are numerous methods used today depending on the specific circumstances, why would any in particular not be an option in an "anarchical" society?

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Sue them in court?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism

You may not be a anachro-capitalist if you need a court.

I am pretty familiar with 'anarcho-capitalism,' more than the Average Joe I would imagine... Third sentence in the Wikipedia article "In an anarcho-capitalist society, law enforcement, courts, and all other security services would be operated by privately funded competitors rather than centrally through compulsory taxation."

Primus

I am pretty familiar with 'anarcho-capitalism,' more than the Average Joe I would imagine... Third sentence in the Wikipedia article "In an anarcho-capitalist society, law enforcement, courts, and all other security services would be operated by privately funded competitors rather than centrally through compulsory taxation."

Privately funded competing police departments and courts? Guys get mad about citation or arrest quotas but want it be "competitive"? Can anyone else imagine that nightmare?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

Privately funded competing police departments and courts? Guys get mad about citation or arrest quotas but want it be "competitive"? Can anyone else imagine that nightmare?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I think that you're applying the word competitive incorrectly. It would be possible that so-called "citations" wouldn't even exist, as a matter of fact. Since transportation systems would also be privately owned and operated, they would likely create a set of rules and a fee schedule for violations. Violation of the rules and refusal to pay the fees would easily result in being trespassed and denied access to the company's transportation system. Competing transportation systems would likely compete to create the most appealing ruleset and fee schedule. Mostly theoretical, but there are of course privately owned and operated roadways and other transportation systems in existence today. As there are privately owned and operated law enforcement/security agencies. And repossession companies. And private courts (which are regularly employed in favor of taking a matter to government court). etc...

Edit: You may be asking "what's the damn difference, then?" The difference is actually pretty subtle. Subtle but crucial.

Last edited:

77zach

I think that you're applying the word competitive incorrectly. It would be possible that so-called "citations" wouldn't even exist, as a matter of fact. Since transportation systems would also be privately owned and operated, they would likely create a set of rules and a fee schedule for violations. Violation of the rules and refusal to pay the fees would easily result in being trespassed and denied access to the company's transportation system. Competing transportation systems would likely compete to create the most appealing ruleset and fee schedule. Mostly theoretical, but there are of course privately owned and operated roadways and other transportation systems in existence today. As there are privately owned and operated law enforcement/security agencies. And repossession companies. And private courts (which are regularly employed in favor of taking a matter to government court). etc...

Edit: You may be asking "what's the damn difference, then?" The difference is actually pretty subtle. Subtle but crucial.

I haven't studied Anarchy that much, but I am a firm believer in the Non-Aggression Principle (NAP). In my mind it's obvious there must be an end to appeals (by law) for courts to function well. I believe Murray Rothbard said the same thing. It's not government laws and courts that I object to as much as government violating the NAP. If my state had a small sales tax because the citizenry wanted to pay for certain things in common, I'd have no problem as long as businesses not willing to pay weren't threatened at gunpoint as is the case now.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Anarcho-Capitalist...works until your neighbor, that owes you 'X', decides not to pay you. How is a redress of wrongs then accomplished.

It worked well in the west before it become "wild" with the movement of government intervention westward.

Yes there still can be common law courts. Private security, and responsibility for you and your belongings without having to ask the state to do protect us.

acmariner99

The key is the Non-Aggression Principle. It doesn't matter what kind of government you have or even no government at all (like anarco-capitalists describe), aggression can be imposed at any time. I don't see a difference between something like eminent domain and a private road builder seizing your home at gun point because you refused to sell it to them.

IMO - anarchastic societies require everybody to abide by the "rule" of the non-aggression principle and a will to enforce proper behavior if that rule is violated. If everyone is on the same page, then it works. Somebody can come and impose their will at any time if they have the means and influence to do so.

beebobby

The main difference between libertarianism and anarchy, is that libertarianism allows the rich man to keep his money and power.