• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster help

Ak diesel

Hey everyone,
New and interested in OC. My firearm is a Glock 30S and I have CCd but have never found a holster good enough for an all day ordeal or that did a perfect job of concealing. I am looking for a nice holster and am open to input

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In this case Google is truly your friend - leather, kydex, IWB, OWB - whatever is your pleasure.

MamaLiberty

I won't carry anything but leather, but this outfit has quite a few innovative and useful products in kydex. I have a "stick-up" on my bed frame so my pistol is safe and in reach at night. http://2aholster.com/ Take a look. He has some good CC stuff as well.

This company ALSO has kits, so you can build your own for less money. Holsters and belts. http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop/category/holsters/

Good luck! Just remember that you will undoubtedly buy more than one holster before you find what really works for you. Then, as you gain experience and your needs or preferences change, you'll be looking again. Buy a nice tote now, so you can properly store all your extras. LOL

Last edited:

wittmeba

As GrapeShot suggests I'd use Google for a specific gun, holster type, right or left OWB carry. Click "images" at the top on the google results page for lots of pictures. This may help you identify what you want.

Yes, you will end up with a couple to fit different dress codes. The price will vary depending on how special and which leather-smith you choose. I have 4 for my S&W M&P .40 and can cover any conditions I need.

Here are lots of links to major mfgs:
http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/Holsters.html

If your holster doesn't work just right you probably won't carry as much as you would like. It has to be right.

Last edited:

waskel

If you're looking for a good CC holster (OP sounded like you were), I've been very happy with my SHTF Gear ACE. Fairly deep conceal, adjustable depth and cant, easy access and good retention. Seems to get more comfortable the longer I wear it.
They have one for the Glock 30S.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Carrying should be comforting, not comfortable." It was either Awerbeck or Cooper who said that.

As much as it is like sending a lamb down the chute towards the slaughter's knife, you might get better info by asking in some of the Glock fora.

A hint - do not ask for input. Use the survey feature and list a few holsters you think you might be interested in and let them vote for which one they would give their little brother who is just starting out carrying. (Notice the subtle attempt to avoid trolling?)

Or browse through several of the "For Sale/Trade" sites and see what folks are selling off - those are probably the ones you want to avoid.

Since it is Tupperware, look at what the local cops are wearing and find something like it.

stay safe.

Silvertongue

Making your own holster really isn't difficult if you have an eye for detail and no aversion to elbow grease.

Besides, you could probably make up a few holsters for different situations, decide what works the best, and sell an extra or two for a little profit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Making your own holster really isn't difficult if you have an eye for detail and no aversion to elbow grease.

Besides, you could probably make up a few holsters for different situations, decide what works the best, and sell an extra or two for a little profit.

If he sells what he does not like/want, how will he ever accumulate a respectable holster box/drawer?:uhoh:

Everybody knows that a person without a holster box/drawer is just a poser.

stay safe.

JustaShooter

If he sells what he does not like/want, how will he ever accumulate a respectable holster box/drawer?:uhoh:

Does it count if I have a box of holsters but each actually has a purpose and gets used? I've found I can limit the number of excess holsters by doing research up front, which has done wonders to keep from accumulating a bunch of useless leather and plastic...

Last edited:

Gil223

Hey everyone,
New and interested in OC. My firearm is a Glock 30S and I have CCd but have never found a holster good enough for an all day ordeal or that did a perfect job of concealing. I am looking for a nice holster and am open to input
You didn't say if the holster was for OC or CC. Personally, I like the Fobus Roto's for OC - no magical buttons or retaining straps, but when holster tension is properly adjusted, you can hang upside down and your pistol is secure. For CC, I like my Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB, and I love my Remora IWB holsters. The thing I love about the Remora's is (if you wear a belt) that they can be placed in the exact same spot every time, regardless of where pants manufacturer put the belt loops - hence the name "Remora", after the "suckerfish" or "pilotfish" - they're pliable and they stick to your body. No hooks or snaps (I'm carrying 'a few extra pounds' around my middle, so sometimes after sitting I have to push it back down about an inch). Pax...

P.S. The Remora holsters are very inexpensive also... <$30, and they hold my G23, G26 and Kahr K9 very nicely.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

stay safe.

Unless one only owns one make, model, size or type then one might need a box/drawer or two filled with holsters.

When I buy holster for my glocks I try and get ones that well work with the smallest to the largest ones I own 9mm to 40 work in the same ones.

But a large revolver holster doesn't work well with a J frame.

Last edited:

Ak diesel

You didn't say if the holster was for OC or CC. Personally, I like the Fobus Roto's for OC - no magical buttons or retaining straps, but when holster tension is properly adjusted, you can hang upside down and your pistol is secure. For CC, I like my Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB, and I love my Remora IWB holsters. The thing I love about the Remora's is (if you wear a belt) that they can be placed in the exact same spot every time, regardless of where pants manufacturer put the belt loops - hence the name "Remora", after the "suckerfish" or "pilotfish" - they're pliable and they stick to your body. No hooks or snaps (I'm carrying 'a few extra pounds' around my middle, so sometimes after sitting I have to push it back down about an inch). Pax...

P.S. The Remora holsters are very inexpensive also... <$30, and they hold my G23, G26 and Kahr K9 very nicely.

I was leaving this open for opinions on both. Thanks for giving me that. Are you talking about the no clip Remora? They look really nice. My issue is I like IWB carry but hate having to buy all new pants since I wear more fitted jeans, like Wranglers or Levi's, most of the time but in the summer I wear looser fitting shorts which are no problem. I saw an OWB holster that the barrel end sat level with the bottom of your belt allowing it to be concealed easily. Any help with something like that? I'm not opposed to completely open carrying I just prefer to be a little discreet. I also am not a very big guy (5'4" 165) so a G30s may not have been the correct CC gun for me haha so I am opening my options up.