Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: ...Scrappy Young Mother Prevails...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301

    ...Scrappy Young Mother Prevails...

    http://www.ksla.com/story/26236309/d...-home-invasion

    ...she needs some training but she's surely got the spirit of self-defense down!!!

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    She fought hard, but for not being badly injured why is her arm in a sling?

    Some one please buy this young lady some ammo so she won't have to use an unregistered hammer next time.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Wow! Scary incident. Glad it all turned out for the better. Good on her for fighting back and going for the gun.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    I wouldn't want to fight her...

    Like my fiance always says...never mess with a Mama and her baby...
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I wouldn't want to fight her...

    Like my fiance always says...never mess with a Mama and her baby...
    A great site, lessons to be learned, for mothers (fathers too) is: http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

    Also read the various books in the Armed & Female series by Paxton Quigley - outstanding.
    http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Female-T.../dp/0312951507
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Only rule in that fight is win! Good on her. Suggest some practice and training with the firearm.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301
    ...somebody oughta donate that gal a good handgun and teach her how to use it...kinda hard to get to a shotgun with a baby in your hands, let alone use it...bet she wouldn't have a problem at this point OCing in her home...like some of us old dogs do...

    ...hope the locals get those two scum arrested before they decide to get even...

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    http://www.ksla.com/story/26236309/d...-home-invasion

    ...she needs some training but she's surely got the spirit of self-defense down!!!
    As hard as it is to get a lot of "non gun guys" to train it is even harder to get females to train or take training.

    There seems to be a lot social stigmatism to taking self defense training.

    The anti's have been working very hard at wimpifying self defense for decades.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301
    ...sadly so, because every woman I've introduced into shooting handguns shoots better than a lot of men I've known...my wife'd never fired a handgun and got 242 of 250 on her license test...they just seem to instinctively point and squeeze...

    ...the value of a well-trained spouse/daughter to the family's safety is exponential...

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    ...sadly so, because every woman I've introduced into shooting handguns shoots better than a lot of men I've known...my wife'd never fired a handgun and got 242 of 250 on her license test...they just seem to instinctively point and squeeze...

    ...the value of a well-trained spouse/daughter to the family's safety is exponential...
    A woman, particularly a women with a baby or young child, goes a looong way to destroying the myth that only white haired ol' pharts carry guns.

    They are golden & platinum to the cause

    and they are taking responsibility as they should.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-11-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Well it will make you happy to know that we are in the process of outfitting my fiance with a pistol, and she is going to get her CHP as well! I rented her a Sig P238 9mm at the range the other day, but she didn't like it at all. Honestly I didn't like it at all either, and I love Sigs. The slide jammed TWICE in 50 shots I think she is more of a revolver kinda girl, as she has these tiny little kitten paws that keep her from being able to work all the mechanisms on a semi-auto properly. She can't wait to OC, however.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Well it will make you happy to know that we are in the process of outfitting my fiance with a pistol, and she is going to get her CHP as well! I rented her a Sig P238 9mm at the range the other day, but she didn't like it at all. Honestly I didn't like it at all either, and I love Sigs. The slide jammed TWICE in 50 shots I think she is more of a revolver kinda girl, as she has these tiny little kitten paws that keep her from being able to work all the mechanisms on a semi-auto properly. She can't wait to OC, however.
    Lots of possible reasons for jambs, failure to feed or eject - not the least of which is limp wristing.

    I always recommend that someone find a gun that suits their likes - that will be the one they will carry and develop proficiency.

    I was a diehard revolver person for years in a previous lifetime. Still hold them in high regard.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    It is always nice to have new gun owners and activist come into the fold.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301
    ...great for you to be introducing her to SD...maybe you can find a range that has a .38 revolver to rent...she may prefer it to semiautos...whatever she chooses, learning to hit every time is most important...since she's going to OC, a 3 or 4" round butt revolver may fit her hands well...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Well it will make you happy to know that we are in the process of outfitting my fiance with a pistol, and she is going to get her CHP as well! I rented her a Sig P238 9mm at the range the other day, but she didn't like it at all. Honestly I didn't like it at all either, and I love Sigs. The slide jammed TWICE in 50 shots I think she is more of a revolver kinda girl, as she has these tiny little kitten paws that keep her from being able to work all the mechanisms on a semi-auto properly. She can't wait to OC, however.
    You mean the 938? Good gun; prefer that over the .380 model. I have kitten paws too, and smaller guns are more difficult to work. Seems counterintuitive, but small hands on a smaller gun don't always equal good fun.

    I dislike revolvers because they seem to kick harder, IMO. My personal favorite is a midsize single stack 1911 chambered in 9mm.

    As for difficulty with the slide; I think that's more an issue of technique and hesitation. I had difficulty at first because I was pulling the slide instead of the frame, and I was trying to avoid slide bite. If she can try a few different holds on the slide, and use her supporting hand to move the frame instead of the slide when racking, it might be easier.

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    Takes practice. Not bad, not good, just a option.

    http://www.21footrule.com/2012/01/mo...-draw-imd.html
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  17. #17
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Takes practice. Not bad, not good, just a option.

    http://www.21footrule.com/2012/01/mo...-draw-imd.html
    I actually OC condition 3 ~90% of the time. It's just how I'm comfortable. I actually dry-practice the modified israeli mossad draw every now and then, I just didn't know it was called that. Thanks for the post!

    *awaits flame*
    Last edited by The Truth; 08-11-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I actually OC condition 3 ~90% of the time. It's just how I'm comfortable. I actually dry-practice the modified israeli mossad draw every now and then, I just didn't know it was called that. Thanks for the post!

    *awaits flame*
    It should be noted that even the Israeli military and LE when in a hot zone are in condition 1.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Duly noted.

    It should also be noted that I apply different carry conditions to different circumstances.

    Walking to my truck after getting off work downtown at 3am, or walking outside at night = Condition 1

    OCing on a daily basis with my 19 month old daughter = Condition 3

    As soon as daughter goes to bed or if I am without my daughter = Condition 2

    It just so happens that I am caring for my little girl about 90% of the time

    You guys are really damn helpful. No sarcasm whatsoever.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Takes practice. Not bad, not good, just a option.

    http://www.21footrule.com/2012/01/mo...-draw-imd.html
    Except u can't shoot one handed that way or from hip. Need full presentation for this to work. It seems close to being as "fast" at closed safe environment like a range. But good luck employing it when SHTF.

    Also it says "modified" Israeli mossad draw. What's the original or not modified version?

    Also not sure about you guys.... But I'm no mossad agent...

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    Could be hard to remember what condition one's handgun is in under stress.

    I've seen many strange things happen when the pressure is put on.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Could be hard to remember what condition one's handgun is in under stress.

    I've seen many strange things happen when the pressure is put on.
    Every seen someone try to take the safety off on a traditional revolver? Only to have them pause, look at the handgun, and shake their head in frustration

    There are those that will carry a 1911 with the manual safety off - it is a redundant feature. Tupper glocks don't normally even have such.

    IMHO training/presentation needs to be consistant to properly develop muscle memory.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Except u can't shoot one handed that way or from hip. Need full presentation for this to work. It seems close to being as "fast" at closed safe environment like a range. But good luck employing it when SHTF.

    Also it says "modified" Israeli mossad draw. What's the original or not modified version?

    Also not sure about you guys.... But I'm no mossad agent...

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

    ...since I was a lad, I've heard and read of the Israelis carrying empty chamber...seemed nutty to me...till I saw demonstrations by the FBI at police academy showing us how easy it is to rake the slide on our holster, belt, or down the side of our pants and chamber a round...finger off trigger, of course...as I carried a Combat Commander, I practiced till I was good at it...not because I carried chamber empty, but in case I lost the use of a hand...safely done, it's fast and sure...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k
    Last edited by sheepdog; 08-11-2014 at 10:23 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Every seen someone try to take the safety off on a traditional revolver? Only to have them pause, look at the handgun, and shake their head in frustration .
    One sees many strange things when one works as a RSO, OIC and instructing.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    ...since I was a lad, I've heard and read of the Israelis carrying empty chamber...seemed nutty to me...till I saw demonstrations by the FBI at police academy showing us how easy it is to rake the slide on our holster, belt, or down the side of our pants and chamber a round...finger off trigger, of course...as I carried a Combat Commander, I practiced till I was good at it...not because I carried chamber empty, but in case I lost the use of a hand...safely done, it's fast and sure...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k
    Operating the slide by one above techniques we taught all recruits going through our academy just for that reason a disabled hand.

    Carrying one way or the other, 3 ways are just to confusing for me too easy to forget what one your in.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •