• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at AZ DMV ("MVD") - Revisited

Rusty Young Man

This thread is inspired by an older thread in the AZ subforum:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83531-Open-carry-at-dmv

I simply didn't want to bring back a dead thread.:)

That said, I find myself in the VERY unfortunate situation of having to go to a DMV.:(

If I understand it all correctly, they fall under the category "Public Establishment" referred to in ARS 13-3102, and would therefore be ok to OC there.
If they would like for me to disarm, then "temporary and secure storage" must be provided, else I should be able remain on the premises and conduct my business.

I am unsure of the law regarding CC at the DMV, but I am also unwilling to cover up as though OC were a shameful thing.:mad:

I was hoping someone here had already conducted their business at the DMV while OCing with no issues?

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Open or discreet carry is irrelevant at the DMV. It's a "Public" (state or local government) building. If they have a no guns sign you must disarm but they are supposed to have lockers available.

If they do not have storage that does NOT allow you to ignore the sign and there is no recourse against them for not following the law.

Fred

Rusty Young Man

Open or discreet carry is irrelevant at the DMV. It's a "Public" (state or local government) building. If they have a no guns sign you must disarm but they are supposed to have lockers available.

If they do not have storage that does NOT allow you to ignore the sign and there is no recourse against them for not following the law.

Fred

The DMV I went to didn't have any signs on the doors or the like, but had tiny decals just behind the two ladies staffing the information desk.

Also, it seems the DMV no longer prints your license on the spot; they've chosen to print a temporary "card" for you and have the actual license be mailed to you; not sure why.:confused:

mzbk2l

Off topic, but here's the reason for the new license process:

Also, it seems the DMV no longer prints your license on the spot; they've chosen to print a temporary "card" for you and have the actual license be mailed to you; not sure why.:confused:

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/driver-services/driver-license-information/central-credential-issuance

The Arizona Department of Transportation has begun a new process for issuing Arizona driver licenses and identification cards.

Customers purchasing a new or duplicate driver license, identification card or instruction permit at MVD or Authorized Third Party offices will receive their credential in the mail at the address listed on their application. Customers should allow up to 15 days to receive it in the mail.

A temporary credential with the cardholder's photo will be issued at the time of a visit to an MVD or Authorized Third Party office.

There is no need to update a current license or ID to the new design. Valid credentials do not need replacement until they expire or require a photo update. Customers can still order duplicate credentials online at ServiceArizona.com. Existing fees remain in place.
New Credential Design

As a part of this new central credential issuance process, ADOT is introducing a redesigned driver license and identification card. The redesigned permanent credential contains enhanced security features to safeguard personal information and help prevent identity theft.

The new process is more secure and designed to protect your personal information to reduce the chances of fraud. In addition, the complexity of the new credential, along with the security features and processes in place, make it impractical to produce the permanent credential in offices.

azcdlfred

Is there some sort of civil action that would be possible? Not that it would likely be worth it for the damages.
There are no provisions for any civil recourse against agencies, cities, etc. for ignoring the law regarding guns in public buildings. That's one of the things we've been trying to put in the laws that ex-governor Brewer was fond of vetoing.

It's very difficult to get laws passed that punishes agencies, city, towns, or elected or appointed officials for not obeying the law. The wagons circle very tight when it comes to punishing the anointed ones.

Fred

FreeInAZ

There are no provisions for any civil recourse against agencies, cities, etc. for ignoring the law regarding guns in public buildings. That's one of the things we've been trying to put in the laws that ex-governor Brewer was fond of vetoing.

It's very difficult to get laws passed that punishes agencies, city, towns, or elected or appointed officials for not obeying the law. The wagons circle very tight when it comes to punishing the anointed ones.

Fred

Just more " - Do as we say & not as we do!" from our anointed ones...
:rolleyes:

Fight back! Join AzCDL 8)
http://www.azcdl.org/html/membership.html

Last edited: