• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone in the Louisville area reload?

poetdante

If so, on what and do you have any advice for reloading in a small 300sqft apartment? Should I go ahead and get a Dillon ($430) or is an RCBS ($250) enough to reload 3000-5000 pistol rounds a year?

I've noticed that initial cost is pretty high. I'm surprised more people don't get together and share the hardware of things like presses, chronographs, etc to help off-set the initial hit to the wallet.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Depending on how much time you have.

When I was a young poor collage student I loaded many thousands of rounds on a old single stage Lyman press that I revived for free.

Now I load thousand of rounds on my progressives in hours.

More time then money cheaper works.

poetdante

My view is the same to a degree. I am in grad school and time isn't always a plentiful thing.

Any ideas on a compact reloading setup? Are those collapsable work benches any good?

Firearms Iinstuctor

When I was in collage I had my press mounted on a old foot locker with my reloading supplies in side took up very little space.

If you have no equipment I would search the gun shows for a use press and dies or local add. Garage sales also but that can take some time.

If you have any shooting friends ask around some one might have some you can buy.

poetdante

I could get an rcbs master kit for 220 right now new. Wosh i knew someone local who could let me use theirs haha

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

ps1mhd

I could get an rcbs master kit for 220 right now new. Wosh i knew someone local who could let me use theirs haha

That link took me to a Case Master Gauging Tool :confused:
You need a press setup right?
Dillon has a BL 550 Basic Loader for $260.00 new
Find the rest used cheap.

Mike

poetdante

What link? If you are wondering where the cheap rcbs it is at Cabelas with mail in rebate. Dillon?! Wow really? Where? Only thing i have found from them was a 550b for $430. I have dies and that's it. For 220 i can get a press, powder throw, manual scale, case holder, lube kit, and some other minor accessories. But no dout i would prefer a dillon. Would a progressive press be too much for me to handle starting out?

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think one needs to learn to walk before running.

Learn how to make good quality reloads one at a time before trying to turn out large amounts.

Then you can transfer the knowledge you learned into using a progressive.

poetdante

I totally agree. With the Dillon mentioned earlier you can convert it to a progressive press, I read.

Guess that settles it: RCBS because it's cheaper.
But man what an initial cost (for a student like me)
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit: $305
Digital Calipers: $80
Powder measure stand (because I can't see where the thrower in the kit goes/attaches to): $30
$413 x 10% off - $50 Rebate add taxes $344. (excluding taxes that's 22% off)

As to the folks saying "buy used at such and such places": I have. Been hounding ebay, craigslist, armslist, facebook pages, etc for used equipment. stuff is going for almost new cost when it's used. 2 months of looking and I haven't found a deal better than this on everything combined. I did pick up carbide dies for 30% less than retail though :)

Last edited:

bunnspecial

I started with a Lee hand press. They are cheap and basic, but get the job done. A nice bonus is you don't even need a bench to mount the press. I'd avoid this route if you're going to do center fire rifles, though, as they will practically require you to stand on the press to resize.

The hand press take standard threaded dies that can be used with any other press(save for the Dillon Square Deal B).

For a bench mounted press-a little while back Shooters Supply had an absolutely screaming deal on an RCBS Partner starter kit. The kit has the Partner press(a small, but very useable single stage press), a #130 balance beam scale, a loading block, lube pad, primer flip tray, powder funnel, and a Speer manual. They had them on sale for $100. Needless to say, I bought one. They might have one left-it would be worth a phone call at least.

Incidentally, Shooter's is probably the best source in town for powder. I was in there last week, and they had Titegroup, CFE Pistol, HP-38, Winchester 231, Autocomp, and a bunch of other Hodgon, Winchester, and IMR powders in stock. Something in the middle like Autocomp or CFE Pistol will work for most any handgun cartridge.

poetdante

I started with a Lee hand press. They are cheap and basic, but get the job done. A nice bonus is you don't even need a bench to mount the press. I'd avoid this route if you're going to do center fire rifles, though, as they will practically require you to stand on the press to resize.

The hand press take standard threaded dies that can be used with any other press(save for the Dillon Square Deal B).

For a bench mounted press-a little while back Shooters Supply had an absolutely screaming deal on an RCBS Partner starter kit. The kit has the Partner press(a small, but very useable single stage press), a #130 balance beam scale, a loading block, lube pad, primer flip tray, powder funnel, and a Speer manual. They had them on sale for $100. Needless to say, I bought one. They might have one left-it would be worth a phone call at least.

Incidentally, Shooter's is probably the best source in town for powder. I was in there last week, and they had Titegroup, CFE Pistol, HP-38, Winchester 231, Autocomp, and a bunch of other Hodgon, Winchester, and IMR powders in stock. Something in the middle like Autocomp or CFE Pistol will work for most any handgun cartridge.

Thanks for the info! I have powder and such. just no press. i would also need a good set of calipers. Cabelas has a RCBS Supreme kit for $255 after mail-in rebate and after I add calipers and an extra book I'm at almost $400. I have 7 more days of sitting around doing nothing at home, wonder how many reloads I could get after I nail down a good formula.
In the meantime I have sorted 6 different headstamps of brass and plan on making combinations of 4 headstamps, 2 bullet types, 2 primer types, and 2-4 different powders. Yes, I have been getting REALLY bored preparing to reload.