Thread: Police interference with personís self-defense, when he is faced with imminent danger

Police interference with personís self-defense, when he is faced with imminent danger

Police interference with personís self-defense, when he is faced with imminent danger ó plus failure to protect him against the danger ó may be unconstitutional By Eugene Volokh August 11 at 9:45 AM

From Vaughn v. City of Chicago (N.D. Ill. Aug. 5, 2014)http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v.../08/vaughn.pdf, the alleged facts:

[ ... ]The man who had been shouting obscenities at Vaughn then made his way through the crowd carrying a metal baseball bat. The defendant officers did not order the man to halt or drop the bat as he approached Vaughn. Instead, the officers simply watched as the man clubbed Vaughn in the head with the bat and then fled from the scene. Vaughn was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. [ ... ]
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...onstitutional/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Interesting there just might be more to the story.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Yeah, well that's what [ ... ] means
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

There is more to the WaPo story, but not the court case...no?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare