• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Workplace - Is a C&C required?

bulldawg1964

I own a small business and at times I have quite a bit of cash on hand.

I am getting my CCP but Guilford County drags it out the process.
In the meantime, I have two options that I have done:
(1) Open carry my Glock 17 on my hip. Get some looks from my customers and a discussion here and there on 17 vs LCP, etc. My main concern with OC is when patrons come in and (forgive me) they're female with little kids, I stash the firearm under the counter. :uhoh:
(2) I have a Sticky Holster and I keep the Glock in my pocket with the handle sticking out slightly. Very comfy even with a full size gun like the Glock 17. If I tilt the Sticky slightly, the entire handle is showing and IMHO there is no question it's a firearm and no more is covered than by the holster. But when it's just peaking, I'm sure that would be C&C.

Here's my main question which I really didn't didn't need all of the above: "In NC, is a CCP needed (to carry concealed) at the place of business if I have control / ownership"?
I have looked and looked, so forgive me. I know I don't need one on my personal property / home or on property with permission from the property owner. What I have found is that for purposes of Castle Doctrine, the "home", "auto" *and* "workplace apply, but I bet I'm mixing concepts.

*edit* In the Statute - it says ...
(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:
(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

So.... is my shop my "own premises"? I believe it is. As usual, IANAL and I find this stuff murky...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Castle Doctrine refers to legal use of deadly force, not where a permit is required.

In North Carolina (except for restrictions in the town of Chapel Hill1 and the city of Durham2) one may openly carry a handgun in plain sight (holstered, of course) with no license or permit. The North Carolina courts have ruled open carry to be constitutionally protected (See State V. Kerner)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9SbdmEOcqRTVVNzalpWUURRQ1k/edit?pli=1

solus

first a hearty welcome to the forum.

first i need to quantify something...why are you carrying a firearm? to preclude a robbery? if so, you cannot shoot a thief before, or after a theft. you also cannot use deadly force to prevent injury or vandalism to property. to clarify, the NC DOJ states deadly force to prevent an armed robbery is force used to protect life, not to protect property. if only property is threatened, deadly force cannot be used. a good distinction to remember.

and while you didn't mention it, but could be germane if you are robbed, NC does not allow a citizens arrest, detain yes, so you may not hold a suspect at gun point until the police arrive.

while i venture down the red brick road, from your post i do not believe you are mixing concepts as you presume.

NC Statute 14-51.2 delineates definitions of the three places, outlines and provides the same criteria for a citizen to use deadly force if there is a presumption of fear of death or serious bodily harm as if you were on the streets. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-51.2.pdf

just a side note: why not just OC and call it good. something about shoving a full size pistol in my pocket just seems awkward at best, especially if you need to use it or you are meeting customers as well as having to pull it to stave off an attack.

ipse

bulldawg1964

first a hearty welcome to the forum.

first i need to quantify something...why are you carrying a firearm? to preclude a robbery? if so, you cannot shoot a thief before, or after a theft. you also cannot use deadly force to prevent injury or vandalism to property. to clarify, the NC DOJ states deadly force to prevent an armed robbery is force used to protect life, not to protect property. if only property is threatened, deadly force cannot be used. a good distinction to remember.

and while you didn't mention it, but could be germane if you are robbed, NC does not allow a citizens arrest, detain yes, so you may not hold a suspect at gun point until the police arrive.

while i venture down the red brick road, from your post i do not believe you are mixing concepts as you presume.

NC Statute 14-51.2 delineates definitions of the three places, outlines and provides the same criteria for a citizen to use deadly force if there is a presumption of fear of death or serious bodily harm as if you were on the streets. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-51.2.pdf

just a side note: why not just OC and call it good. something about shoving a full size pistol in my pocket just seems awkward at best, especially if you need to use it or you are meeting customers as well as having to pull it to stave off an attack.

ipse

I had the CCP class - yup I know, I can't shoot them cuz they're taking something. Can't hold them on the floor - but my CCP instructor said that "may be true but our LEO (Greensboro) would thank me..."
:)
We have had armed robberies at businesses in our area, so the reason is to protect my life and my customers.
Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out.
Believe it or not, my Glock 17 in my pocket in a Sticky Holster is just as easy for me to deploy as in a OC on the belt, BladeTech. I'm wearing shorts with deep pockets (of sorts) and it fits just fine; haven't tried it with Dockers or jeans just yet.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Believe it or not, my Glock 17 in my pocket in a Sticky Holster is just as easy for me to deploy as in a OC on the belt, BladeTech. I'm wearing shorts with deep pockets (of sorts) and it fits just fine; haven't tried it with Dockers or jeans just yet.

I would really like to see this technique would you please go to the range and have someone video your self drawing shooting and post it so we can all learn from it.

Last edited:

bulldawg1964

I would really like to see this technique would you please go to the range and have someone video your self drawing shooting and post it so we can all learn from it.

:lol: :rolleyes:
I wasn't in anyway trying to imply that in a "fast draw" situation that it would be the "same". I meant that subjectively, for my reach and pull, it isn't vastly different. But I'll give you that carrying and drawing from my sticky is not as handy, to a noticeable degree, as a StickyHolster in my pocket. I will be the first to admit I'm an amateur at best.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

You have already correctly answered your own question. It is your property (premises), so you don't require a CHP; nor do you have to inform anyone you are doing it.