• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FBI going back to 9mm

Firearms Iinstuctor

Rest of article at the link

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/robert-farago/9mm-wins-caliber-wars/

On July 25, 2014, the Federal Bureau of Investigation released a pre-solicitation notice for a family of pistols chambered in 9mm — and in so doing, fanned the embers of ‘the great debate’ over pistol calibers,” Mike Wood reports at policeone.com. Hey! Why didn’t anyone tell me about this? Of course, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion anyway. The .40 caliber round adopted by the FBI and thousands of police departments after the infamous FBI Miami shootout (a cluster-you-know-what of epic proportions) was a panic-induced compromise that didn’t provide 9mm capacity or controllability, or .45 caliber controllability and terminal performance. But don’t take my word for it. Wood rings the death knell for .40 . . .

Kopis

a friend of mine is a US marshall and told me that a lot of agencies would be going back to 9mm. He told me to sell any 40 cal pistol i had now before the market got flooded with them. Luckily, ive never bought into the .40 cal hype. I have all 9mm's and a few 1911s.

Brace

Glock 19-kun... don't.

She enters.

CUT TO: INT. FBI STORAGE FACILITY - CONTINUOUS

She stands a moment, staring, before proceeding through it. M4
stands in the doorway, others crowding behind her. Every face registers
the horror of what they are seeing, but none more so than Glock 19's

Numbers one through 37. The first failed efforts to create better service calibers.

They are lined up like museum exhibits -- or side show freaks.

Here is the hideous Glock 37, the necked cartridge it's chambered for made clear through the mismatch between the magazine size and barrel diameter.

In a jar.

Here is a prematurely old, rusty 1911, a compensator-elongated barrel showing it was rechambered to .460 Rowland

Here is an attempt to separate the projectile and grow it without the cartridge -
- the bizarre, alien geometry of the Dardick revolver.

Each one more horrifying than the last, and the last the worst of all.

Glock 19 approaches, and stares at number 22.

A complete mixture of polymer and steel.

A tortured, disgusting hybrid, half 10mm, half nightmare.

Hooked up wires and machines, it lies on the tilted-table, its head
nearly level with

Glock 19's as she finally approaches it.

When it opens its eyes, they are hers.

it tuns its head ever so slightly to look at her. Recognises her.

Glock 19 cannot even speak. She begins to shake slightly looking at
number 22.

NUMBER 22

Kill ... us ...

Glock 19's eyes go saucered as it speaks speaks out of nothing resembling
a mouth.

Glock 19 staggers back a step, shaking now. This is too much to bear...

M4

Glock 19-kun!

Glock 19 turns, slowly, still in a fever dream.

M4-san cocks the grenade launcher with a loud CRACK. Her eyes meet
Glock 19's.

M4 tosses it to Glock 19 as the crew steps back and even a catches it
Glock 19 FIRES, a grenade chugging to the end of room and BURSTING in
fire and noise, she FIRES another, polymer and steel exploding into
flame, she turns to number 22, hand shakes momentarily...And she
FIRES, the poor creature dissolving in a cloud of flame.

Freezing gas jets fill the room, extinguishing potential spread, but
the heart of the firestorm continues to rage in the chamber.

She backs out, the crew waiting for her outside.

The launcher falls loudly to the ground. Glock 19 turns to Browning Hi-power-sama, her
face rigid with pain.

Last edited:

McLintock

Rest of article at the link

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/robert-farago/9mm-wins-caliber-wars/

On July 25, 2014, the Federal Bureau of Investigation released a pre-solicitation notice for a family of pistols chambered in 9mm — and in so doing, fanned the embers of ‘the great debate’ over pistol calibers,” Mike Wood reports at policeone.com. Hey! Why didn’t anyone tell me about this? Of course, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion anyway. The .40 caliber round adopted by the FBI and thousands of police departments after the infamous FBI Miami shootout (a cluster-you-know-what of epic proportions) was a panic-induced compromise that didn’t provide 9mm capacity or controllability, or .45 caliber controllability and terminal performance. But don’t take my word for it. Wood rings the death knell for .40 . . .

Just because the police dept. are dropping the 9 does not mean the the .40 is dead. More people than the police use the .40 plus there are many calibers that the police do not use, so are they dead too? I find the .40 a very good round, I also find the 9 a good round too. I wonder if the writer sees it the same way, I'am betting no.

WalkingWolf

I see it as another excuse to print monopoly money to spend on buying up more ammo. From what I have heard is 9mm ammo is the most available, so many people are stocking up. Of course King of the US can't have that, now the feds will have to buy billions more 9mm ammo, and the 40 ammo will probably remain in storage.

McLintock

I see it as another excuse to print monopoly money to spend on buying up more ammo. From what I have heard is 9mm ammo is the most available, so many people are stocking up. Of course King of the US can't have that, now the feds will have to buy billions more 9mm ammo, and the 40 ammo will probably remain in storage.

My thoughts too! The LEO dept. should let the officers decide what caliber THEY feel most comfortable with. And if it's cheaper for them to have 9's just come out and say that, but I doubt it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Outside of SWAT (maybe), there is little need for uniformity of sidearms among police officers, FBI agents, and the like. They should be allowed to carry their personal preference, from a very large list of approved weapons and calibers.

jackrockblc

My thoughts too! The LEO dept. should let the officers decide what caliber THEY feel most comfortable with. And if it's cheaper for them to have 9's just come out and say that, but I doubt it.

A friend of mine works for one of the local sheriff's offices. And if he chooses to get deputized, he will get his option of a limited set of firearms and calibers. He has to buy it (they give him an allowance to subsidize it), but the list is much larger than I'd expect. The calibers can be 9mm up to .45acp. Of course, the list is still pretty restrictive, but they don't dictate specific pistol or caliber.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having carry most of the calibers on the job 38 spl 9mm, 40, 357, 41, 44mag, 45, With good modern JHP ammo they all well do the job. I prefer a decent weight bullet for the caliber at above 1000 fps 1200- even better.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Just because the police dept. are dropping the 9 does not mean the the .40 is dead. More people than the police use the .40 plus there are many calibers that the police do not use, so are they dead too? I find the .40 a very good round, I also find the 9 a good round too. I wonder if the writer sees it the same way, I'am betting no.

Excellent points.

I'm still quite happy with my 9mm.

Kopis

Excellent points.

I'm still quite happy with my 9mm.

Yeah, ive always been a 9mm fan. It's the cheapest round to train with and great ballistics especially with modern self defense rounds available. Now you can get 9mm in 147gr, that wasnt common just a few years ago.

kurt555gs

And after they bought a BILLION rounds of .40 S&W ammo. I'm sure that will be destroyed not resold as surplus.