• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michael Brown unarmed shooting in Ferguson, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Truth

The McGhee case does not appear to support your claim. It appears to simply state that 'reasonable fear' is required for self-defense to be an affirmative defense to a murder charge. It does not show that you can use deadly force to prevent a felony. I would suggest you reword your statement, review the case law and statutes, or both. Seriously. If you cannot present a case for the use of deadly force for your home state in a web forum discussion, do you really feel that you can present a valid case in a court of law if the unforeseen need to use deadly force for self-defense actually arises for you?

Stop editing your posts so I can actually reply please.

I never said I could use deadly force against someone in the commission of any felony, I claimed that if someone who had a gun said they were going to kill me they would be guilty of a felony and I would be justified in using deadly force in SD. Either way as long as I felt my life was in immediate danger I would be justified.

I guess you missed this part of my original claim? "The citizen must be able to prove that a felony occurred or was being attempted, and that the felony threatened death or bodily harm."

Last edited:

wrightme

"Do you have a point to present beyond some definitions of force?" is not a request for cite of statute.
This doesn't even make sense. I'm not avoiding any question. What are you talking about? Please cite VA Law regarding intent when using justifiable deadly force if you feel you know something I don't. Maybe you should read the case law presented.
From what I have found, there IS NOT any VA law that codifies any justification for deadly force. It appears to be an operation of common law. And, it is likely that case law would clarify the intent meaning in a case.

If you DO have a sd event, your statements of intent may very well have a negative bearing on the outcome of such court case against you.

The Truth said:
"Justifiable homicide in self-defense occurs [when] a person, without any fault on his part in provoking or bringing on the difficulty, kills another under reasonable apprehension of death or great bodily harm to himself." Smith, 17 Va. App. at 71, 435 S.E.2d at 416

"one 'may use only such force as appears to him reasonably necessary to repel the attack'); Foote, 11 Va. App. at 69, 396 S.E.2d at 856

a defendant "must wait till some overt act is done[,] . . . till the danger becomes imminent." Vlastaris, 164 Va. at 652, 178 S.E. at 777. In the context of a self-defense plea, "imminent danger" is defined as "[a]n immediate, real threat to one's safety . . . ." Black's Law Dictionary 399 (7th ed. 1999). "There must be . . . some act menacing present peril . . . [and] [t]he act . . . must be of such a character as to afford a reasonable ground for believing there is a design . . . to do some serious bodily harm, and imminent danger of carrying such design into immediate execution." Byrd v. Commonwealth, 89 Va. 536, 539, 16 S.E. 727, 729 (1893).

I'd say that's pretty clearly an affirmative defense.
Yes, under common law, not under a codified statute. Also, as I understand that, it means that the defendant has the onus to prove the justification was valid.
Removed part that TT no longer supported.

Last edited:

wrightme

Stop editing your posts so I can actually reply please.

I never said I could use deadly force against someone in the commission of any felony, I claimed that if someone who had a gun said they were going to kill me they would be guilty of a felony and I would be justified in using deadly force in SD. Either way as long as I felt my life was in immediate danger I would be justified.

I guess you missed this part of my original claim? "The citizen must be able to prove that a felony occurred or was being attempted, and that the felony threatened death or bodily harm."

You stated that 'since it is a felony,' that would justify the use of deadly force. If that is not your meaning, you should reword your statement.

The first portion of your post had nothing to do with VA, and I would hesitate to give ANY credence to information from a site named 'the free dictionary by Farlex.' A case in VA will be adjudicated based upon VA statute and case law.

This actually looks like a decent collection of case law that may be relevant.

http://www.virginia1774.org/Page5.html

But, this is quite far afield from either MO, or Brown. Specifically, I believe that your statement about a person threatening another with a firearm would create the common law justification for using deadly force in VA for self-defense. I do NOT feel it is hinged on whether a felony act of ANY kind is imminent, and that is my contention. The 'free dictionary' link has no relevance, as it is not authoritative in any way for ANY state.

I disagree specifically with your statements about whether Wilson was justified or not, mostly because he IS 'innocent until proven guilty,' and without more information about the actual shooting beyond conflicting eye-witness accounts, it is impossible to determine if Brown was actually still a threat when the last shot killed him.

Brown may have actually still been a threat at that time.

Brown may have actually been attempting to surrender at that time.

We, on a web forum, simply do not have the information available to present any true case either way; so, I do see it as 'innocent until proven guilty.'

Brown is ALSO 'innocent until proven guilty,' which is a decision that will never see a court of law now. That does not mean that he deserved to die, nor does it mean that Wilson was not justified in using deadly force. It is also not a dichotomy where either Brown deserved to die, OR Wilson was justified.

It is unquestionable that Brown and Wilson had an altercation. The beginning of it shows a conflict between the PD/Wilson version, and some of the eye-witness accounts; most of which did NOT actually see the beginning struggle clearly enough to tell what was happening. The physical evidence from the car supports the PD/Wilson, by showing that the first shot/s were from inside the car, striking Brown's arm. Once they separate, it gets unclear again, and opinions seem to sway based upon whether a person does or does not believe the statements presented by the PD. In either case, stating that Wilson should be prosecuted, ignores the reality that there should first be actual evidence of a crime. To me, that means a higher standard other than one side of conflicting eye-witness statements. If the physical evidence supports those who claim Wilson killed Brown without justification, then charges should be brought against Wilson. If the physical evidence does not support those who claim Wilson killed Brown without justification, then charges should not be brought against Wilson. More on point, if there is a lack of evidence supporting claims that Wilson was not justified in using deadly force, then it must rest at 'innocent until proven guilty.'

We, do not simply bring charges against anyone, LE or not, simply because groups of the public call for charges to be brought.

Last edited:

The Truth

I have edited my post and will ask that you edit quotes of said post so as not to confuse anyone. It was not my intention to mislead anyone in anyway.

I still don't see how intent matters since a SD claim implicitly admits intent anyway. "Self-defense is an affirmative defense to a charge of murder, and in making such a plea, a "defendant implicitly admits the killing was intentional and assumes the burden of introducing evidence of justification or excuse that raises a reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors." McGhee v. Commonwealth, 219 Va. 560, 562, 248 S.E.2d 808, 810 (1978)"

Again you've edited the crap out of your post while I was replying to it so I'm going to give you a half hour or so before I reply, in case you decide to add 5 more paragraphs.

We are also getting quite far off topic...maybe we can continue the VA SD discussion in Grapeshot's "What to do in a SD situation" thread. That's probably not the right thread title but it's something very similar. I'm more interested in the VA SD issue right now than the Brown shooting. I feel the horse has been beaten into burger.

virginia1774 is very useful!

wrightme

I have edited my post and will ask that you edit quotes of said post so as not to confuse anyone. It was not my intention to mislead anyone in anyway.

I still don't see how intent matters since a SD claim implicitly admits intent anyway. "Self-defense is an affirmative defense to a charge of murder, and in making such a plea, a "defendant implicitly admits the killing was intentional and assumes the burden of introducing evidence of justification or excuse that raises a reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors." McGhee v. Commonwealth, 219 Va. 560, 562, 248 S.E.2d 808, 810 (1978)"

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...enUS598US598&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=implicit
implied though not plainly expressed.
"comments seen as implicit criticism of the policies"
synonyms: implied, hinted at, suggested, insinuated

Stating a goal is explicit, not implicit.

The Truth

I tend to disagree anyway. When someone shoots in self-defense, the intent is to kill, especially when 7 shots are taken. It's quite difficult to argue the negative in that regard, especially since Wilson used the statement, "I felt my life was in danger." That's the go-to defense when you kill someone in self defense and intended to do so. It'd be laughable to claim that Wilson "didn't mean to kill" Brown.

Stating a goal is explicit, not implicit.

I didn't state my goal, I stated what I thought was the goal of Wilson, hence the statement, "So if you shoot someone in the head your intent is not to kill? HAHA. Yeah right!" Just want to clarify that.

wrightme

I didn't state my goal, I stated what I thought was the goal of Wilson, hence the statement, "So if you shoot someone in the head your intent is not to kill? HAHA. Yeah right!" Just want to clarify that.

Okay, we will go with the edited version.

Is it your claim that Wilson intended to shoot Brown in the head?

The Truth

I don't know about you, but I shoot a bit more accurately at the range once I've put about half a magazine through the gun.

wrightme

I don't know about you, but I shoot a bit more accurately at the range once I've put about half a magazine through the gun.
Do you recall where Brown was hit in the head, and the angle?

The location of the entry point would match a 'center mass' shot, as someone bullrushes you.

The Truth

Do you recall where Brown was hit in the head, and the angle?

The location of the entry point would match a 'center mass' shot, as someone bullrushes you.

One could make any number of arguments as to how Brown was shot in such a way.

Firearms Iinstuctor

When the facts keep piling up in a certain direction why is so hard for some to change their stance on a subject.

The loss of face or just the unwilling ness to say that I was wrong.

Beating a dead horse doesn't make the dead horse move.

wrightme

By the way, I did not edit my post #655.

I still believe Wilson intended to kill Brown, not apprehend him. Agree to disagree I guess.

BS.

Next time you desire me to edit out references to something you said, do not expect me to agree.

The Truth said:
My post is #655. Also any posts of yours which contain the "since it was a felony" junk since I have clarified and concede that I was unclear.

Also it seems like you were implying that my post #655 was in regards to my intent in a SD situation. I would appreciate the deletion of those implications, because as you said, explicit intent is different than implicit intent, and I definitely don't want any confusion in that regard. Am I misinterpreting this?

OC for ME

How does conflicting eye witness reports place a prosecutable case upon only the witnesses that say it one way?
Because the prosecutor is not bound to present exculpatory evidence (facts) to the GJ. I'm not contending that the prosecutor is not presenting all evidence regardless of the direction it may lead the GJ

The proper thing is being done; that is, present the evidence to a grand jury.
Agreed.

It isn't about whether 'Brown getting dead' is justified or not, it is whether the use of force was justified.
Not exactly, there seems to be a delineation between force and deadly force in the statutes. I see it, yet my seeing it does not mean that there is a delineation.

Law enforcement officer's use of force in making an arrest. - 563.046.

1. A law enforcement officer need not retreat or desist from efforts to effect the arrest, or from efforts to prevent the escape from custody, of a person he reasonably believes to have committed an offense because of resistance or threatened resistance of the arrestee. In addition to the use of physical force authorized under other sections of this chapter, he is, subject to the provisions of subsections 2 and 3, justified in the use of such physical force as he reasonably believes is immediately necessary to effect the arrest or to prevent the escape from custody.

2. The use of any physical force in making an arrest is not justified under this section unless the arrest is lawful or the law enforcement officer reasonably believes the arrest is lawful.

3. A law enforcement officer in effecting an arrest or in preventing an escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only

(1) When such is authorized under other sections of this chapter; or

(2) When he reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest and also reasonably believes that the person to be arrested

(a) Has committed or attempted to commit a felony; or

(b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon; or

(c) May otherwise endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay.

4. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section.
Then.
Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the first degree, definition, penalty. - 565.081.

1. A person commits the crime of assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the first degree if such person attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer.

2 thru 6 concern emergency personnel,corrections officers, highway workers, and utility workers.

7. Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the first degree is a class A felony.
If Brown assaulted Wilson, and there seems to be facts to support this, then Brown getting dead is critical. Was Wilson justified to use force, yes, was Wilson justified to use deadly force...I'm not sure at this time. I'm leaning towards no based on witness accounts. But, witness accounts are now conflicting.

Anyway, Wilson will likely not be charged and as such guilt or innocence is irrelevant. If he does get charged I suspect that the charges will be misdemeanors, serious misdemeanors, but no felony charges.

wrightme

Then.If Brown assaulted Wilson, and there seems to be facts to support this, then Brown getting dead is critical. Was Wilson justified to use force, yes, was Wilson justified to use deadly force...I'm not sure at this time. I'm leaning towards no based on witness accounts. But, witness accounts are now conflicting.

Anyway, Wilson will likely not be charged and as such guilt or innocence is irrelevant. If he does get charged I suspect that the charges will be misdemeanors, serious misdemeanors, but no felony charges.

Whether Brown died or not, does not change that deadly force was used. Whether deadly force was justified or not, is not altered by the outcome of its use.

IF deadly force is deemed authorized, that would satisfy the justification for the onset of the shooting events.

IF during this time, Brown DID indicate surrender, justification is no longer present. And again, whether Brown died as a result is really secondary to whether deadly force was actually justified or not. If it was justified, then Brown's death is the result of an action that is justified. If not, then charges are indicated.

If Brown had survived, the same rules would still apply; just the result changes. Instead of determining whether his death was a result of justified or unjustified employment of deadly force, the question would be whether his injuries were the result of justified or unjustified employment of deadly force.

There is no question that Wilson employed deadly force as opposed to less lethal force, the result notwithstanding.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Whether Brown died or not, does not change that deadly force was used. Whether deadly force was justified or not, is not altered by the outcome of its use.

IF deadly force is deemed authorized, that would satisfy the justification for the onset of the shooting events.

IF during this time, Brown DID indicate surrender, justification is no longer present. And again, whether Brown died as a result is really secondary to whether deadly force was actually justified or not. If it was justified, then Brown's death is the result of an action that is justified. If not, then charges are indicated.
OK
... Brown's actual death is not really the point anymore, is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.