• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michael Brown unarmed shooting in Ferguson, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Man what a waste of time talking about the actual shooting when Johnson was a little weasel liar about the attack the entire time. I was wondering when the next tactical move would be made. There are still many things unanswered, hopefully we will soon learn more about what happened after the attack or what led up to it. Gettin' there!
I long ago learned to trust my nose (my instincts) and I never start off with a lynching rope in hand.

...after the attack? bang bang bang bang bang bang...maybe another bang...and maybe another bang.

The cop is a victim, whether or not it is a justified moniker remains to be seen.
Let's not forget "excusable" either.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Man what a waste of time talking about the actual shooting when Johnson was a little weasel liar about the attack the entire time." -- The Truth

I knew it from the beginning (as I said in the beginning I was with the cops on this one).

But I didn't have to know any of the so-called "facts" of this particular incident, as it was identical to SO many others (just like the reactions to it: Looting, burning, etc.). I just had to know Animal Behavior. I do. In fact, I got an "A" for the course when I was going for (and got) my BA degree.

Now...do you (meaning the generic you) think the rioting will stop? Probably not: Everyone doesn't have their big-screen TV yet and dey still be needing one of dem. ;-)

Last edited:

The Truth

LOL, I was wondering who would be the first to say "I told ya so," just didn't think it'd be you! No one wins in this situation, it only serves as a springboard for other issues that clearly need to be addressed.

Grapeshot said:
Let's not forget "excusable" either.

The Truth

I would have edited my post but it's been over 17 minutes.

"St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said Tuesday that both officers opened fire on Powell when he came within 3 or 4 feet of them holding a knife in an overhand grip."

Cops were there 15 seconds before they opened fire. Also looks a bit further than 3 or 4 feet away.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--Also looks a bit further than 3 or 4 feet away.
The standard rule indicates that the average time takes 1.5-1.7 seconds on a clean, solid, dry surface to cover 21'.

Appears he was maybe 6 to 8 ft away. What additional time would be required to cover the extra distance?

Hmm, might be as much as .2 to .3 seconds. Significant?......I don't think so.

"Bottom line: Within a 21-foot perimeter, most officers dealing with most edged-weapon suspects are at a decided - perhaps fatal - disadvantage if the suspect launches a sudden charge intent on harming them."
Destroying Myths & Discovering Cold Facts with Force Science Institute
http://www.policeone.com/edged-weap...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...using-body-mounted-cameras/?intcmp=latestnews

Sarasota FL, is Sarasota a hot bed of police injustices? It is good that the Ferguson event is encouraging municipalities to do the right thing for their cop shops.
Was married in Sarasota in another lifetime - wife's uncle was the police chief. Sarasota was a good ol' boy town owned and run by the Palmers - banking and cattle. It was a quiet Gulf Coast town, with little tourist traffic. The police force was typical Southern for the time - little bit red neck, whole lot of pride.

wittmeba

Not suggesting justification for execution but justification for self defense that happened to end up in death.

And part 2 - not sure ALL "us" old men would be around :)

metalman383

Dear Mr. Brown,
You just found the hard way, that playing stupid games wins you stupid prizes. We have some major problems in this country, and this incident could be a sign of worse things to come.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dear Mr. Brown,
You just found the hard way, that playing stupid games wins you stupid prizes. We have some major problems in this country, and this incident could be a sign of worse things to come.
Prizes if not claimed/redeemed within the grace period, will be awarded to the next available, qualified recipient. Participants irrevokably agree to abide by the decision of the judge(s) which shall be final. Note that the sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value when approved in accordance with the terms and conditions of this program.

Toymaker

Before declaring "our side" or our opinion, whatever that may be, to be right on this incident we should be wise enough to wait until the official grand jury determination is presented.

There are a lot of conservative and liberal leaning news websites presenting their "opinion" on what the final outcome will be and most of us are old enough to know that things aren't always what they seem to be.

It is my "personal and unprofessional opinion only" that there's not enough evidence for the grand jury to indict Officer Wilson. There's also no solid information about Wilson's background to suggest that he was a hot head or had any type of malice towards Black people. Michael Brown may well have been a gentle giant in the past but on that day he was acting more like a giant bully (I'm still curious as to what the official toxicology results are on him). Whether or not Wilson overreacted that day, I don't know but it still remains for the Grand Jury to decide whether or not to indict him on evidence that is put before them.

I'm African American and I'm also a former cop. I sympathize with Brown's family and I also sympathize with Officer Wilson. This is a very unfortunate situation for both. To me the Officer Wilson Michael Brown incident was the culmination or boiling point to other issues mainly the poor relationship between the Ferguson Police Dept. and the community. There are other issues including mental health, the drug scourge, partisan politics, racial bias, etc., but in this case the Ferguson Police could have taken most of the steam out of this by releasing the strong armed robbery information much earlier than they did.

Redbaron007

Before declaring "our side" or our opinion, whatever that may be, to be right on this incident we should be wise enough to wait until the official grand jury determination is presented.

There are a lot of conservative and liberal leaning news websites presenting their "opinion" on what the final outcome will be and most of us are old enough to know that things aren't always what they seem to be.

It is my "personal and unprofessional opinion only" that there's not enough evidence for the grand jury to indict Officer Wilson. There's also no solid information about Wilson's background to suggest that he was a hot head or had any type of malice towards Black people. Michael Brown may well have been a gentle giant in the past but on that day he was acting more like a giant bully (I'm still curious as to what the official toxicology results are on him). Whether or not Wilson overreacted that day, I don't know but it still remains for the Grand Jury to decide whether or not to indict him on evidence that is put before them.

I'm African American and I'm also a former cop. I sympathize with Brown's family and I also sympathize with Officer Wilson. This is a very unfortunate situation for both. To me the Officer Wilson Michael Brown incident was the culmination or boiling point to other issues mainly the poor relationship between the Ferguson Police Dept. and the community. There are other issues including mental health, the drug scourge, partisan politics, racial bias, etc., but in this case the Ferguson Police could have taken most of the steam out of this by releasing the strong armed robbery information much earlier than they did.

Grand Jury determination means nothing. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.