• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man facing murder charge for pursuing, killing car thief

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
...well, maybe an "IOU for ammo" issued to him then -- to be redeemed later, IF ammo supplies ever get back to normal out there, that is.

Or, perhaps ask Homeland Security for a box from ITS hoarded stash!

The latter probably wouldn't work, however, as the paper trail covering such a transfer of one box of ammo from Homeland Security to a local Police/Sheriff Department, and then to a public-service-service-minded citizen would be too overwhelming to undertake.

There'd probably be much less paperwork involved getting a MRAP vehicle from Homeland Security instead of measly 50-rd box ammo! ;-)

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I know of one LEO from here who has consistently encouraged LAC to get involved and chase criminals, including using deadly force. Wonder what he has to say on this matter.

SFCRetired

Whether the law allows it or not, I would not use deadly force because of a vehicle being stolen. I can always replace the vehicle. I cannot restore another human being's life to them.

That is, of course, provided I am not in the vehicle at the time and provided the thief did not threaten to use force against me.

This is where we leave the realm of law and enter the realm of ethics and morals. While it might be legal, the question is whether it is ethical and moral.

By the way, I think this guy's alligator mouth overloaded his mockingbird rear end. He said entirely too much on the phone with 911, especially after the shooting.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So should we send a collection plate around to all the thieves to pay for our insurance and deductibles, plus hassle time and loss of livelihood? Or can we just plug a thief and keep our property and livelihood?

I offer no answer, just pose the question. But I say again, there is a reason horse thieves were hung, and the reason is still a valid one.

Want life? Don't try to take another man's livelihood. He might just not know or care that he's not supposed to try to keep it.

SFCRetired

So should we send a collection plate around to all the thieves to pay for our insurance and deductibles, plus hassle time and loss of livelihood? Or can we just plug a thief and keep our property and livelihood?

I offer no answer, just pose the question. But I say again, there is a reason horse thieves were hung, and the reason is still a valid one.

Want life? Don't try to take another man's livelihood. He might just not know or care that he's not supposed to try to keep it.

I would prefer to keep my property. But, i say again, I would not do as the man in the original post did. I might follow him while on the phone with 911, but, unless and until, the thief threatened my life, I would be very reluctant to use deadly force against him.

Now, if that thief tried to take my property by use of force against me or mine, then, as the scriptures say, "his blood is on his own head."