Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Bit of a unique situation her,e, but what can I do OC wise?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    9

    Bit of a unique situation her,e, but what can I do OC wise?

    Ok, so first off, I live in Salisbury NC. Near the railroad tracks... Yeah you already see why I wanna carry period , but here's the thing... I am, regretfully, not able to own a firearm due to the fact the money just don't come in to the point where I can get a decent revolver(Sure I've seen ones for between $80-$120, but... I know better than -that-!). So instead, I've OC'd a Crossman 357 Pellet Gun. Looks astonishingly like a .357 Colt Python, and will do some serious damage to someone if I nail em with it.(Did a few tests. Rather surprised at how good it is!). But yeah, all be it it doesn't fall under a 'Firearm' and such, as it's not one, I treat it as one for all intensive purposes(still a weapon after all). Now before any of you say 'Well why carry THAT?'? I do need -some- form of protection. Living where I do. I also as I said, at this point in time, cannot afford an actual firearm, much -less- a CCP, buut we're talking OC here anyway! Main goal with the crossman, is, fear factor since I HIGHLY doubt in a confrontive situation by some local thug who thinks he has easy pickings, he's gonna analyze the diameter of the barrel, check for logos, markings, etc. (Also, like h*ll I'm carrying a stun gun... Or pepper spray. SG requires me to get point blank with someone, and if they have a knife? Yeah... As for PS, some people I've seen can stand up to it, not to mention if you can't prove you used it in defense, it's a Felony automatically I believe)

    So with that being said, will I have a problem with Salisbury LEO? Does Salisbury have any places besides the -obvious-(Govt buildings, schools, hospitals, store sdisplaying no weapon signs, etc) that I should NOT carry my Crossman/Future Firearm? Further more, will I be -harassed- by Salisbury LEO? I Used to live near Landis and boy did Landis PD ever give me hell for awhile till they learned I wasn't some psycho mass murderer.. So will I expect that out of Salisbury PD? Or are they...friendlier... About OCers?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Rather than carrying non-lethal firearm replica, just save up your money and stay away from bad areas. Bear in mind that if you draw on someone who is actually carrying a firearm, they can claim SD and shoot (at) you.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Rather than carrying non-lethal firearm replica, just save up your money and stay away from bad areas. Bear in mind that if you draw on someone who is actually carrying a firearm, they can claim SD and shoot (at) you.
    Yes, quite aware of that. However, staying away from bad areas is easier said than done right now, and save up? Yeah... That's, easier said than done truth be told. I don't want to post my income and bills and such, but.. Honestly the point I see myself affording a firearm is potentially 5-10 years down the road. At earliest.

  4. #4
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Draw a pellet gun on someone with a real .357 and you won't have to worry about your financial troubles anymore. It's worth the investment dude! There's no way you can't save $200 in a year, much less a decade! Hell I save $200 in CHANGE a year probably, and I am far from financially comfortable!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  5. #5
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Maverick9-

    Some of us can't afford a McMansion in the best part of town, so we have to live in less desirable areas, been there done that.

    Kazareh-

    The fear factor will work on most, but the one that calls your bluff will likely be your worst nightmare.

    If you check around you can find Hi Points for $100-$150 on line, maybe even in a local gun shop, but figure in shipping and FFL transfer

    I know people trash Hi Points but I worked in a gun shop/indoor range and developed a respect for them for what they are, I sold a bunch to college students who just wanted some protection. Hell I even have the compact 9 I take canoeing so I don't worry about loosing an expensive gun and I can count on it working if I need it. A Hi Point in the hand beats a Kimber at the gun shop when the chips are down.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Do not play stupid games, you will not win stupid prizes

    First - a warm welcome to OCDO. I'm glad you found us and more glad you trust us enough to ask for advice/information.

    OK, you live in a bad part of town. What's changed in the last X weeks/months that makes yu think you need to be strapped up right this minute?

    (BTW - I have a reputation for asking hard questions directly - don't take this as personal because we both know I don't know you. Just think about the ideas behind the questions and focus on answering them - to yourself because nobody here is going to assume responsibility for anything you do.)

    Carrying a pellet gun may get you as much negative attention as carrying a "real" gun - both from the cops and from the BGs yu seem to be worrying about. Pulling/pointing a pellet gun will get you the same criminal charge as piulling/pointing a "real" gun - except if you needed a gun the pellet gun is really lousy for self defense and if a/some BGs find out you are trying to defend against them with a pellet gun their response may be worse than if you were totally unarmed. (see banner for this post)

    It sounds like you have some money. What's keeping you from saving up till you have enough money?

    And while you are saving up, what's the realistic odds that things in your life are going to change from what your life has been up until now? It seems you have not yet been robbed at gun/knife point, nobody has yet kicked in your door, and nobody has yet made a death threat over your bicycle/scooter/bus tickets/car.

    Understand, I am all for someone having (at least) a handgun for self defense - presuming they are otherwise not a jerk who is going to endanger themselves and everybody else by acting like a jerk. And I also believe that nobody needs to wait until they are facing actual danger before getting a gun - part of why you get one is to be prepared in case the need for one right here & right now decides it's your day.

    But reaching the mature decision to own and carry a handgun also involves the mature thinking to realize why carrying a pellet gun instead of a "real" gun is NOT a good idea.

    While you are saving up for your purchase, you can look into alternative means of self defense that are legal in NC. (I am not familiar with NC law so will not suggest anything in case it turns out there is a law using that method.)

    Again - what's the urgency?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazareh View Post
    Ok, so first off, I live in Salisbury NC. Near the railroad tracks... Yeah you already see why I wanna carry period , but here's the thing...
    I second the welcome that skidmark offered.

    Whatever you do, recognize that you had guts enough to post a question here, so don't get butthurt when people ask tough questions or give tough-love advice - like what you've received so far.

    Just answer the questions and think about the advice: interact. All of us, including you, will be the better for it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    First - a warm welcome to OCDO. I'm glad you found us and more glad you trust us enough to ask for advice/information.

    OK, you live in a bad part of town. What's changed in the last X weeks/months that makes yu think you need to be strapped up right this minute?

    (BTW - I have a reputation for asking hard questions directly - don't take this as personal because we both know I don't know you. Just think about the ideas behind the questions and focus on answering them - to yourself because nobody here is going to assume responsibility for anything you do.)

    Carrying a pellet gun may get you as much negative attention as carrying a "real" gun - both from the cops and from the BGs yu seem to be worrying about. Pulling/pointing a pellet gun will get you the same criminal charge as piulling/pointing a "real" gun - except if you needed a gun the pellet gun is really lousy for self defense and if a/some BGs find out you are trying to defend against them with a pellet gun their response may be worse than if you were totally unarmed. (see banner for this post)

    It sounds like you have some money. What's keeping you from saving up till you have enough money?

    And while you are saving up, what's the realistic odds that things in your life are going to change from what your life has been up until now? It seems you have not yet been robbed at gun/knife point, nobody has yet kicked in your door, and nobody has yet made a death threat over your bicycle/scooter/bus tickets/car.

    Understand, I am all for someone having (at least) a handgun for self defense - presuming they are otherwise not a jerk who is going to endanger themselves and everybody else by acting like a jerk. And I also believe that nobody needs to wait until they are facing actual danger before getting a gun - part of why you get one is to be prepared in case the need for one right here & right now decides it's your day.

    But reaching the mature decision to own and carry a handgun also involves the mature thinking to realize why carrying a pellet gun instead of a "real" gun is NOT a good idea.

    While you are saving up for your purchase, you can look into alternative means of self defense that are legal in NC. (I am not familiar with NC law so will not suggest anything in case it turns out there is a law using that method.)

    Again - what's the urgency?

    stay safe.
    What's changed in the last week, actually is the location. I used to live in a totally different town, just moved down here to this part of Salisbury. Was in real rural nice area before, not so nice now. Hence why I, 'think I need to be strapped up this minute'. Salisbury has a well earned reputation for being problematic at best unfortunately.. What's the odds? I dunno, considering I live right across the tracks from a nasty part of town. So. In all honesty, less than a week isn't a good period to judge whether " It seems you have not yet been robbed at gun/knife point, nobody has yet kicked in your door, and nobody has yet made a death threat over your bicycle/scooter/bus tickets/car.". Further more, it will take -years- at -best- to afford a handgun. I am NOT joking. In the slightest. I will not own a Hi-Point, as I have heard too many tales of the HP's exploding in the owner's hands and injuring the owner instead of defending them. If that was the case, I would buy one of those POS $80 revolvers you see at Gun Shows. And ya know what? Money wise? I'm on govt Disability. $720 a month. rent is $475 -without- utilities. And then I got to add on food, bus pass, etc. I am literally not exaggerating when I say it will take me quite a few years to save up for a handgun, revolver or -otherwise- that, ya know, I can actually rely on to defend myself with without getting myself hurt or worse. Further more, I almost entirely rule out semi's since I have had range experience with a, well, range, of semi's. I don't like em. Jams, stovepiping, etc. And if a round is a dud? Screwed. Unlikely, but... Must be taken into consideration after all. So revolvers are really all I wanna have, and frankly they seem to be a good bit more expensive than a semi. While 'gun' -is- usually better than 'no gun'..what good is a gun that you don't trust, can't rely on, don't feel comfortable with, etc?
    Last edited by Kazareh; 08-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,155
    That's a lot of range time and gun experience for a destitute dude. I've heard of folks unable to afford their opinions, but usually applied to luxuries.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-13-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    That's a lot of range time and gun experience for a destitute dude. I've heard of folks unable to afford their opinions, but usually applied to luxuries.
    Excuse me, but what -exactly- is that supposed to mean? If you're questioning the range time vs income, then, it's cause my folks had a family membership deal at a range, and since I'm direct family... Yeah. I didn't exactly get to go in there and shoot for hours or whatever, but we'd go about once a month and we'd get about 15-20 rounds of our choice then so.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    In your travels within the city be aware:

    Sec. 15-42. Discharge of firearms.permanent link to this piece of content
    It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or fire any guns or firearms within the city, except when used in defense of person or property, or pursuant to lawful direction of law enforcement officers, or at military funerals, or at a legally established firing range adhering to industry standards provided by an agency such as the NRA and approved by the city's risk management division.
    (Code 1977, 17-33; Ord. No. 1994-10, 1, 3-1-94)
    State law reference— Authority to regulate, restrict, or prohibit firearms, G.S. 160A-189.

    Sec. 15-43. Display of guns or firearms on city property.permanent link to this piece of content
    It shall be unlawful for any person to display any gun or firearm while upon any property owned or occupied by the city, except that law enforcement officers may carry and discharge their guns or firearms when lawfully acting within the scope of their official duties.
    (Code 1977, 17-34)
    Cross reference— Possession of weapons in parks, 16-75

    Sec. 16-65. Fireworks; fires; firearms.permanent link to this piece of content
    (a)Fireworks. Any fireworks or explosive[s] of any kind or nature are prohibited, except by special permit.
    (b)Fires. No person shall kindle, build, maintain or use a fire other than in places provided or designated for such purposes except by special permit. Any fire shall be continuously under the care and direction of a competent person over sixteen (16) years of age from the time it is kindled until it is extinguished.
    No person within the confines of any park shall throw away or discard any lighted match, cigarette, cigar, or other burning object. Any lighted match, cigarette, cigar or other burning object must be entirely extinguished before being thrown away or discarded.
    (c)Firearms. No person shall carry, use, or possess firearms of any description, air rifles, pistols, spring guns, bows and arrows, slingshots, boomerangs, water pistols, or any other form of weapon potentially dangerous to wildlife or human safety on or in [the] park area or property, except at and in accordance with the rules and regulations as a participant in a program sponsored by the department or as a law enforcement officer.
    (Ord. No. 1998-81, 1, 10-20-98)

    These are from the city code of ordinances. https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10275
    Note that current Salisbury ordinances do not comply with state law in reference to CC in parks.

    If you can't afford a gun of your own, do you have a family member willing to loan you one? After all, there is no law saying you must own what you carry.
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 08-13-2014 at 07:07 PM.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Please disregard anything and everything I have previously posted, with the possible exception to the welcome to OCDO.

    You are too destitute to be worth robbing, and apparently too disabled to make beating you up any challenge and thus it would be no fun.

    Living across the tracks from a sketchy part of town does not mean you are in any real danger - but then in spite of what I just wrote above you might be. You would need to know not only the crime statistics for the area but the circumstances behind every crime to be able to know what your real risk level is.

    Revolvers jam - sometimes to the point that it takes disassembly to get to the point that you can reduce the jam.

    Maybe High Points used to have a bad reputation, but of late all I hear/read is they do in fact go bang every time. Skip rumor and "internet wisdom" in either direction and find out for yourself.

    Yes, it sucks to be poor. BTDT - more than once. But I never lost sight of the fact that it was possible to squeeze some money (once barely 25 cents a day) out of the budget to put towards the future. The point being that because I could see a future I worked to have a future.

    But the bottom line is - I'm confused. What did you expect to happen by posting here? Recommendations for handguns seem to be a waste of both our time and yours, since you can't afford one. I don't know if you already have the pellet gun or not, but you seem to be willing to put a lot of faith in an intimidation factor that may or may not be realistic.

    As a matter of fact I'm so confused that I'm going to ask a hypothetiocal question in the hopes that you give a real-world response:

    Supposing someone gave you a revolver in a caliber considered sufficient for self defense, and two cases of ammo. Would you have the wherewithall and the time and the discipline to get training on how to use that revolver as a self defense weapon, and then to train/practice to keep up your skills?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Please disregard anything and everything I have previously posted, with the possible exception to the welcome to OCDO.

    You are too destitute to be worth robbing, and apparently too disabled to make beating you up any challenge and thus it would be no fun.

    Living across the tracks from a sketchy part of town does not mean you are in any real danger - but then in spite of what I just wrote above you might be. You would need to know not only the crime statistics for the area but the circumstances behind every crime to be able to know what your real risk level is.

    Revolvers jam - sometimes to the point that it takes disassembly to get to the point that you can reduce the jam.

    Maybe High Points used to have a bad reputation, but of late all I hear/read is they do in fact go bang every time. Skip rumor and "internet wisdom" in either direction and find out for yourself.

    Yes, it sucks to be poor. BTDT - more than once. But I never lost sight of the fact that it was possible to squeeze some money (once barely 25 cents a day) out of the budget to put towards the future. The point being that because I could see a future I worked to have a future.

    But the bottom line is - I'm confused. What did you expect to happen by posting here? Recommendations for handguns seem to be a waste of both our time and yours, since you can't afford one. I don't know if you already have the pellet gun or not, but you seem to be willing to put a lot of faith in an intimidation factor that may or may not be realistic.

    As a matter of fact I'm so confused that I'm going to ask a hypothetiocal question in the hopes that you give a real-world response:

    Supposing someone gave you a revolver in a caliber considered sufficient for self defense, and two cases of ammo. Would you have the wherewithall and the time and the discipline to get training on how to use that revolver as a self defense weapon, and then to train/practice to keep up your skills?

    stay safe.
    Mmk, did NOT know that about revolvers. And relaly now... That's interesting honestly you say that about HP's, cause I mean I've spoken to HP owners and they really do nothing but bash em in the people I've talked to. *Shrug* As for the hypo-question, I indeed would, yes. Initially, that is -why- I a year or two ago purchased this pellet gun, as a training tool for a real firearm. Like I said, initial reason I purchased it. However, uhm, yes. I most certainly would be able to train with said weapon. Why do you ask?

  14. #14
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,880
    revolvers lack safeties.

    Kazareh, pm perhaps something could be facilitated IF by NC statute you are able to get a PPP from the local sheriff. please do not discuss if you are or or not capable of obtaining a ppp here.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    wake forest, nc
    Posts
    34
    I'm gonna hi-jack this thread(using my Hi-Point). After 800+ /- rounds, it still hasn't blown up in my hands. Nor has it given me any doubt about trusting it with my life. The bullet( 22, 9, 40, 45, 357, etc.) doesn't care if it's shot from Hi-Point or Kimber. Rant over, let's return to Salisbury....and welcome to the forum.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Draw a pellet gun on someone with a real .357 and you won't have to worry about your financial troubles anymore. It's worth the investment dude! There's no way you can't save $200 in a year, much less a decade! Hell I save $200 in CHANGE a year probably, and I am far from financially comfortable!
    I got a replica of the python made in Germany for EEA. Got it for $364. Shoots both 38 and 357. All metal heavy and well built. I am usually armed with 357 bullets. Keep looking.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    9
    Monkey: REALLY NOW! That's, interesitng. I'll, have to look into the HP's again then. Seems they just may have corrected their past errors! Good!

    Law Abider: HUH, ok, thanks a bunch. I'll look into that as well.

  18. #18
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    I've been looking at this one myself. I'm in a similar situation to you in that i'm pretty broke right now. This is the cheapest Handgun I've seen so far and provided other members confirm this is good and reliable i would consider it for yourself and will likely buy one myself if I can ever scrape the $$s together.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    I've been looking at this one myself. I'm in a similar situation to you in that i'm pretty broke right now. This is the cheapest Handgun I've seen so far and provided other members confirm this is good and reliable i would consider it for yourself and will likely buy one myself if I can ever scrape the $$s together.
    Hi-Points have a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty - even if you are the 10th owner

    According to the company's website, as of 2008 all Hi-Point firearms come with a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty. While older manuals have stated that the lifetime warranty is available to the original purchaser only, Hi-Point has since retroactively extended the warranty to include subsequent owners. Under the warranty, Hi-Point firearms are repaired free of charge. All Hi-Point firearms can be sent back to their respective factories and will be repaired and shipped back free of charge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Hi-Points have a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty - even if you are the 10th owner

    According to the company's website, as of 2008 all Hi-Point firearms come with a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty. While older manuals have stated that the lifetime warranty is available to the original purchaser only, Hi-Point has since retroactively extended the warranty to include subsequent owners. Under the warranty, Hi-Point firearms are repaired free of charge. All Hi-Point firearms can be sent back to their respective factories and will be repaired and shipped back free of charge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms
    All very well and good but what if as it jams when one actually needs it? One victim who is not around to claim the warranty.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    To the OP... I have been to that part of town as my mom lived right by the tracks. I understand you wanting to protect yourself, but that's not the kind of place to "perpetrate a fraud". There are some serious bad dudes there, and little to no attention to yourself is probably best. If you are gonna do it, you gotta do it right. You already know the crime rate over there, don't add to it. Like some of the guys said, squeeze your pennies. Check with some of the local pawn shops as some offer layaway. Come to Asheville, and I will guide you to a LGS that does 6 month lay-away. If nothing else, arm yourself with a nice carry blade till you get something.

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    All very well and good but what if as it jams when one actually needs it? One victim who is not around to claim the warranty.
    High dollar race guns and BBQ guns can malfuction or break.

    You allude to someone not being "around" to claim the warranty. Are you suggesting that a Hi-Point has taken the life of a shooter through a mechanical failure?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-14-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: speeling
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    All very well and good but what if as it jams when one actually needs it? One victim who is not around to claim the warranty.
    Same question regarding your super-tricked out custom-built wundergun.

    Stuff happens.

    Charter http://www.charterfirearms.com/ apparently is on a good QC roll again. That being the case, I'd consider new as opposed to having to figure out which dates/lots were crap and which stood up.

    There's also Taurus http://www.taurususa.com/pistols.cfm .

    But the OP says he can't afford anything beyond the discards barrel at the local pawn shop, so suggesting possibilities is pretty much a waste of time.

    I'm just going to sit here with my bucket of popcorn and see if the gun fairy shows up.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  24. #24
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Just another note of empathy, I decided I wanted to carry a pistol back in 2007. I had just turned 21. I was living in Roanoke, VA by myself then, and 98% of my income after rent went to paying off debt. I usually had about $30 a week (if I was lucky) for beer/food and I worked for Sportsman's Warehouse part-time as a 3rd job (yeah, it was that bad - I worked 230am-11am as a manager at FedEx Ground, 1130am-330pm as a waiter/bartender, then 530pm-9pm at Sportsman's) and they had a great deal for employees, and FNH had an even better deal in addition to my employee discount. I wanted an FNP-40 so bad I felt like a kid before Christmas, and I was going to get one for close to 50% off retail (maybe $300 or less at the time? Don't remember But this is a government issue weapon).

    Long story short I never bought that FNP, but I now own a Sig P229 .40, 6 some odd years later - and in my opinion the Sig P229 is one of the best handguns in the world.

    Anyway, set a goal for yourself, don't just talk about it, actually DO IT and make sacrifices to save for it, and when the day comes that you go into the gun shop with $4-500, or if things get better for you maybe $900-$1,000 in your pocket, it will feel even better knowing how hard you worked to save for it, and it will have more meaning to you than "just a pistol." This could take years, not months! Just gotta pace yourself...
    Last edited by The Truth; 08-14-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    I've been looking at this one myself. I'm in a similar situation to you in that i'm pretty broke right now. This is the cheapest Handgun I've seen so far and provided other members confirm this is good and reliable i would consider it for yourself and will likely buy one myself if I can ever scrape the $$s together.
    GrabAGun.com has a Cobra Arms .380 for $99, plus $5.99 shipping during August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •