• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bit of a unique situation her,e, but what can I do OC wise?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All very well and good but what if as it jams when one actually needs it? One victim who is not around to claim the warranty.
High dollar race guns and BBQ guns can malfuction or break.

You allude to someone not being "around" to claim the warranty. Are you suggesting that a Hi-Point has taken the life of a shooter through a mechanical failure?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All very well and good but what if as it jams when one actually needs it? One victim who is not around to claim the warranty.

Same question regarding your super-tricked out custom-built wundergun.

Stuff happens.

Charter http://www.charterfirearms.com/ apparently is on a good QC roll again. That being the case, I'd consider new as opposed to having to figure out which dates/lots were crap and which stood up.

There's also Taurus http://www.taurususa.com/pistols.cfm .

But the OP says he can't afford anything beyond the discards barrel at the local pawn shop, so suggesting possibilities is pretty much a waste of time.

I'm just going to sit here with my bucket of popcorn and see if the gun fairy shows up.

stay safe.

The Truth

Just another note of empathy, I decided I wanted to carry a pistol back in 2007. I had just turned 21. I was living in Roanoke, VA by myself then, and 98% of my income after rent went to paying off debt. I usually had about $30 a week (if I was lucky) for beer/food and I worked for Sportsman's Warehouse part-time as a 3rd job (yeah, it was that bad - I worked 230am-11am as a manager at FedEx Ground, 1130am-330pm as a waiter/bartender, then 530pm-9pm at Sportsman's) and they had a great deal for employees, and FNH had an even better deal in addition to my employee discount. I wanted an FNP-40 so bad I felt like a kid before Christmas, and I was going to get one for close to 50% off retail (maybe $300 or less at the time? Don't remember But this is a government issue weapon).

Long story short I never bought that FNP, but I now own a Sig P229 .40, 6 some odd years later - and in my opinion the Sig P229 is one of the best handguns in the world.

Anyway, set a goal for yourself, don't just talk about it, actually DO IT and make sacrifices to save for it, and when the day comes that you go into the gun shop with $4-500, or if things get better for you maybe $900-$1,000 in your pocket, it will feel even better knowing how hard you worked to save for it, and it will have more meaning to you than "just a pistol." This could take years, not months! Just gotta pace yourself...

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

I've been looking at this one myself. I'm in a similar situation to you in that i'm pretty broke right now. This is the cheapest Handgun I've seen so far and provided other members confirm this is good and reliable i would consider it for yourself and will likely buy one myself if I can ever scrape the $$s together.

GrabAGun.com has a Cobra Arms .380 for $99, plus $5.99 shipping during August.

Kazareh

Alright guys, thanks for the info. I've also talked with a few gun stores, which approve of the HiPoint's as well, so my decision is made. I'll start saving if not next month if I can, out right buy a HP. However I want ya'lls opinions now. I've got two of their pistols I'm looking at, one a bit more pricey than the other; but still relatively cheap as far as guns go. The HiPoint 380 ACP, and the HiPoint C-9 9mm. Now my quesiton for you all, then, is this. Which one? For a gun owner on a -serious- budget, which ammunition caliber am I more likely to find cheaper? Logic to me says the .380acp, but, I could be wrong. The place I called in Cleveland NC said the .380ACP rounds -are- cheaper, but the 9mm aren't TOO much more, and have much more stopping power. What do you all say to that as well? Worth the little extra money? And how much extra do you suppose we're talking? Naturally I could go down to Walmart and see how much the ammo prices there are, but I don't have the time right now to get to Walmart, so.

Also, I do thank you all for your advice. I've ceased carrying the Crossman 357 pellet with me when I go out, based on you all's reasons. My logic was telling me 'Hey have -something-, but... Eh, didn't QUITE think of what some of you were saying. :lol: Ah, goes to show, can't think of everything.

Edit: Also, I see that CObra Enterprises one... Very, very tempting. Hmm. What's you all's thoughts on that brand? Good? Will it be there still next month? (Instinct tells me no) And also, would it fit the same type of holster as say, a WAlther PPQ? Reason I ask is I have a holster I got from bass pro shop for an airsoft PPQ for some airsoft war stuff, and its a generic gun holster for that size pistol and all, so, would it fit that? Same question for the HiPoint, but I believe the answer ot the HP is no due to it's 'brick size' they're known for.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

Alright guys, thanks for the info. I've also talked with a few gun stores, which approve of the HiPoint's as well, so my decision is made. I'll start saving if not next month if I can, out right buy a HP. However I want ya'lls opinions now. I've got two of their pistols I'm looking at, one a bit more pricey than the other; but still relatively cheap as far as guns go. The HiPoint 380 ACP, and the HiPoint C-9 9mm. Now my quesiton for you all, then, is this. Which one? For a gun owner on a -serious- budget, which ammunition caliber am I more likely to find cheaper? Logic to me says the .380acp, but, I could be wrong. The place I called in Cleveland NC said the .380ACP rounds -are- cheaper, but the 9mm aren't TOO much more, and have much more stopping power. What do you all say to that as well? Worth the little extra money? And how much extra do you suppose we're talking? Naturally I could go down to Walmart and see how much the ammo prices there are, but I don't have the time right now to get to Walmart, so.

Also, I do thank you all for your advice. I've ceased carrying the Crossman 357 pellet with me when I go out, based on you all's reasons. My logic was telling me 'Hey have -something-, but... Eh, didn't QUITE think of what some of you were saying. :lol: Ah, goes to show, can't think of everything.

Edit: Also, I see that CObra Enterprises one... Very, very tempting. Hmm. What's you all's thoughts on that brand? Good? Will it be there still next month? (Instinct tells me no) And also, would it fit the same type of holster as say, a WAlther PPQ? Reason I ask is I have a holster I got from bass pro shop for an airsoft PPQ for some airsoft war stuff, and its a generic gun holster for that size pistol and all, so, would it fit that? Same question for the HiPoint, but I believe the answer ot the HP is no due to it's 'brick size' they're known for.

I had a Cobra CA380, that thing was trash. I sold it for $40 and a "thank you". As for 380 vs 9mm whoever told you that 380 is cheaper than 9mm is wrong... I can get 100 rounds of 9mm FMJ for $23-$26 when available. The 380 100 round pack is around $38-40. Also with HP, I've been told that the bigger the caliber, the more reliable it is. Maybe because of the springs.. not sure. I have also heard bad things about the new 380s but nothing bad about the recent 9mm, 40, 45 HPs. If I were to get a HP, I would probably go with a 45 since they all are usually around the same price. Given your situation, I would go for a HP first. Then maybe keep saving, sell the HP and buy a Taurus/Ruger, then keep saving, sell the one you have and go for a Glock, springfield, M&P, etc. Just my opinion.

Kazareh

I had a Cobra CA380, that thing was trash. I sold it for $40 and a "thank you". As for 380 vs 9mm whoever told you that 380 is cheaper than 9mm is wrong... I can get 100 rounds of 9mm FMJ for $23-$26 when available. The 380 100 round pack is around $38-40. Also with HP, I've been told that the bigger the caliber, the more reliable it is. Maybe because of the springs.. not sure. I have also heard bad things about the new 380s but nothing bad about the recent 9mm, 40, 45 HPs. If I were to get a HP, I would probably go with a 45 since they all are usually around the same price. Given your situation, I would go for a HP first. Then maybe keep saving, sell the HP and buy a Taurus/Ruger, then keep saving, sell the one you have and go for a Glock, springfield, M&P, etc. Just my opinion.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I saw some ammo prices and such at Walmart recently. I'll probably go for the 9, then. I'll get a box of FMJ's for range-time to break it in and get the sights zeroed in, but for SD use, I'm gonna buy a box of HP's. Obvious reasons are obvious, not to mention, if I have to defend myself against someone and use FMJ's, well... I either have to worry about just ONLY pulling the gun cause, say a house is my 'backstop', or firing and risking the resident suing me for shooting someone/thing in their house after the FMJ round leaves the BG.