• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why I dont open carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimwag

Hmmm... so the mods on this forum respect the Second Amendment unequivocally, but the First Amendment only selectively. Got it.

Regarding the second amendment...maybe the mods, but not the owners. They respect only open carry of handguns. They embrace OCT, yet discourage anyone else openly carrying long guns. I find it hypocritical, but it's their money.

Edit: grapes isn't that bad. He lets me act up from time to time lol

Last edited:

wimwag

Care to narrow it down a little, there's a ton of them, Arfcom, TFL, THR, DC, USA Carry (although this is better than most), etc.

I think he means defensive carry, where they act like you're shoving a stick up their butts when you mention open carry or suggest that they step in front of a .22lr pistol if they think it won't do the job.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Regarding the second amendment...maybe the mods, but not the owners. They respect only open carry of handguns. They embrace OCT, yet discourage anyone else openly carrying long guns. I find it hypocritical, but it's their money.

Edit: grapes isn't that bad. He lets me act up from time to time lol

IMHO the owners "respect" any legal defensive use of any legal tool.

However, the basic tenant/purpose of OCDO is promoting and defending open carry of properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday routines. All else is either off topic or allowed only in very limited form.

OCDO is not intended to be the entire pie of the gun culture. It is a healthy slice, served up fresh, and there is enough for everybody to have a taste - most come back and want more.

I don't know about the good or bad part, but I am trying........at least so I've been told :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You'll learn pretty fast who gets modded and who doesn't, and how arbitrarily "the rules" are cited and to whom. It will be claimed that "one cannot be in all threads at all times" as an excuse, but that's basically a package of Oscar Meyer Bologna. You can see what threads people are viewing by clicking on their username.
The rules are not "arbitrarily" applied, but people that have caused some concern are watched more closely than others - that's life.

And no you cannot see what threads people are viewing in that manner, you can only see to what threads they have posted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If anyone has anything to add ON TOPIC, please do so.

Continuation in the vein this thread has been moving will only gain it a lock.

If you have a problem with moderation, direct it to the Administration, but do not engage in a public display of your dissatisfaction of the rules or application thereof.

OC for ME

First, the owners are lawyers, should have been evident in their use of "irrevocably...".

Anyway, the CC Industrial Complex frequently drops one of their minions into OCDO territory in the hopes of creating havoc and mayhem. We, the rear guard if you will, are pretty savvy and expose these nitwits for their nitwittery.

The owners are OC, CC, or No C advocates. Grapeshot is moderator that seems to lose his keyboard from time to time cuz if I was in charge I'd be deleting posts left & right. But, Grape has a life where it seems I have none.

If you don't OC, no biggie, don't. If you OC, do so within the confines of the law. But, CC Industrial Complex minions should know better than to regurgitate patently false and discredited "reasons" why CC is superior to OC.

Remember, "wanting to have the element of surprise" seems to me that a CCer is desiring to shoot a threat. OC is a message to a potential threat: "go find a CCer." ;)

Maverick9

OCDO is private property. We are all here as guests of the site owners and subject to their rules.

ACCEPTANCE OF RULES If you do not agree with any of these Rules then please do not use this site, because BY USING THIS SITE YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE IRREVOCABLY AGREED TO THESE RULES. Please note that these Rules may be revised and reissued without notice at any time. You should review the current Rules regularly, since your continued use of the site will be deemed as irrevocable acceptance of any revisions.

See and read Forum Rules

In fact most of the posters are children.

(see what I did there, hah)

Maverick9

To get back on topic, I applaud the Pat. Nurse for her opinions, for her blog on this subject.

Note that she said 'Why =I= don't...'. (emphasis mine).

All one can ask is for thoughtful introspection and respect for the rights of others, no?

OC for ME

To get back on topic, I applaud the Pat. Nurse for her opinions, for her blog on this subject.

Note that she said 'Why =I= don't...'. (emphasis mine).

All one can ask is for thoughtful introspection and respect for the rights of others, no?
+1

Until she works to limit a citizen's choices as to how they choose to carry. I know folks who, being minions of the CC Industrial Complex in good standing, actively work to limit OC. Sadly cops are on this list too.

Hold a opinion, shout it from the mountain top. Work towards your opinion having the force of law, we are then aligned opposite each other, with you on the wrong side of liberty.

wimwag

IMHO the owners "respect" any legal defensive use of any legal tool.

However, the basic tenant/purpose of OCDO is promoting and defending open carry of properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday routines. All else is either off topic or allowed only in very limited form.

OCDO is not intended to be the entire pie of the gun culture. It is a healthy slice, served up fresh, and there is enough for everybody to have a taste - most come back and want more.

I don't know about the good or bad part, but I am trying........at least so I've been told :D

If they respect any legal defensive use of any legal tool then let's acknowledge that my shotgun is both legal to carry and legal to own and as they state, since open carry deters crime then deterring the criminal is a defensive tactic thus making it a defensive use of a tool.

Maybe changing the name from Open Carry.org to Handgun Open Carry.org would be a good move if they wish to limit OC. Or maybe taking the former was a tactic to force anyone supporting all forms of OC to take a name that does not describe the nature of their organization and limit competition...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If they respect any legal defensive use of any legal tool then let's acknowledge that my shotgun is both legal to carry and legal to own and as they state, since open carry deters crime then deterring the criminal is a defensive tactic thus making it a defensive use of a tool.

Acknowledged, but has been much discussed in depth and reasons delineated before. I see nothing that might precipitate a change on OCDO.

wimwag

Might be a while. Which one of your accounts were you using at the time?

Maverick9

I recall, from when we worked on South Carolina's Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996, that somewhere a defensive weapon is defined as a pistol/handgun, but not a long gun. I'll see if I can track that down as piquant seasoning for this porridge.

OMG, you start talking piquancy and you'll turn the whole of OCDO into a soup, a gruel, a miasma of spicy goodness. We don't want that!

The Truth

The rules are not "arbitrarily" applied, but people that have caused some concern are watched more closely than others - that's life.

That's your opinion. "The mods have investigated themselves and found that they did nothing wrong." You allow racism, that is indisputable. I'd be happy to PM you the screenshots of things you deem worthy of moderation compared to the things you let slide all within a few posts of each other. You're very biased, whether you're aware or not. What you do is moderate dissent. It really has not much to do with the rules but your personal feelings.

And no you cannot see what threads people are viewing in that manner, you can only see to what threads they have posted.

viewing_zpsfd214151.png

This line of posting is now over, I doubt anyone would care if you lock the thread. It's clearly a troll, to which you claim "we do not feed the trolls here," except in this case apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.