Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deputy mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder, shoots her as she snuck in through garage

Deputy mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder, shoots her as she snuck in through garage

WINCHESTER — The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office has identified the father who shot his 16-year-old daughter Tuesday as Easton McDonald.

http://www.winchesterstar.com/article/break813

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hospital.html
    Changed the title to reflect accurate information and to get the title to fit in the title box.

Shoots at a unknown humanoid shape in his garage, then turns the light on.

Expectation(s) is set to near zero, the deputy has already gone through so much.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Changed the title to reflect accurate information and to get the title to fit in the title box.

Shoots at a unknown humanoid shape in his garage, then turns the light on.

Expectation(s) is set to near zero, the deputy has already gone through so much.
    then he xports wounded daughter himself instead of waiting for ems?

me thinks he is bucking for an full pay retirement for stress related issues.

whew...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 08-15-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

A cop so scared that he shoots first, then turns the light on? To me that implies he's sort of expecting a bad threat, maybe into something he shouldn't be. A stretch? Maybe, but I'm pretty sure from the safety of a doorway, I'd operate a light first. What happened to guts and patience in our public LE?

Oh here we go.. Must be s slow OC day

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Oh here we go.. Must be s slow OC day

Going to ad anything of substance to the conversation?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Going to ad anything of substance to the conversation?
    Sure... As soon as someone else does..

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Here's something of substance:

McDonald then attempted to drive her to the hospital, but crashed his vehicle on the way at East Lane and Cork Street in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Must be more of him trying to go out on stress related retirement or maybe he was fleeing other crack dealers....

Or back to reality lost his s"***** because he just shot his daughter. Nah that can't be it....

Must be more of him trying to go out on stress related retirement or maybe he was fleeing other crack dealers....

Or back to reality lost his s"***** because he just shot his daughter. Nah that can't be it....
    I didn't suggest any motives.

I do think it's clear that this man has... issues with his control over dangerous machinery. I do hope the state doesn't persist in putting the liability of his continued employment on the backs of the citizenry.

I didn't suggest any motives.

I do think it's clear that this man has... issues with his control over dangerous machinery. I do hope the state doesn't persist in putting the liability of his continued employment on the backs of the citizenry.
    Not sure the relation of his employment to what happened.

Because there ISNT. If the guy flipped burgers it probably wouldn't even be posted on here.

Because there ISNT. If the guy flipped burgers it probably wouldn't even be posted on here.
    If a burger-flipper nearly killed his daughter with his spatula, would his profession not be an apropos topic of discussion on food service industry forums?

If a burger-flipper nearly killed his daughter with his spatula, would his profession not be an apropos topic of discussion on food service industry forums?
    Oh is this a police forum? Crap I missed that.. I try to void those...

Did he write himself a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Did he write himself a ticket?
    Verbal warning.. While trying to save his daughter.

Oh is this a police forum? Crap I missed that.. I try to void those...

The deputies employment is absolutely relevant. The deputies training, as a deputy, has everything to do with his response to a "intruder" in his garage. He failed to ID his target. He failed to use the force continuum that he "may" have been taught. He failed to ID if there was a lethal threat to he or his. Cops are always held up, almost without exception by other cops, as better able to handle a firearm.

Watch more than a few youtube videos where cops "educate" OCers on the perils of OC.

Watch a youtube video where a cop (female) almost shoots a restrained and on the ground subject and/or her partner.
    Watch a video of a DEA agent shooting himself in the foot right after he declares that only he is qualified to handle a firearm.
    Read the accounts of a deputy who leaves a firearm out for his little kid to shoot herself.

No, his employment has everything to do with his act.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The thread is concerning guns, gun safety and happened in Virginia - it qualifies for inclusion.

I don't know the details, but IMHO he will never get over his mistake - sad for all.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I don't know the details, but IMHO he will never get over his mistake - sad for all.
    Unfortunately, his daughter probably won't either.

...WHO IS THERE!!!

Simple, well, maybe not so simple after all. This deputy broke just about every "rule" in the book regarding the use of a firearm in the defense of family and home in my opinion.

I have no idea how someone could consider the deputy was bucking for stress-related retirement - whatever that might mean.

I imagine that at this point he is looking at being charged and convicted of any of several felonies, which will get him off the force. He's also most likely already suspended from duty, and his handgun has been confiscated as evidence. On top of that, as has been noted, he has some serious personal issues to deal with

As for why he shot without first identifying the target and the threat it may have posed - It's too late for him but just might serve as a training moment for his department, if not all cops. Too bad I have low expectations of that actually happening.

Speaking of training moments - shooting at a shape in the dark only caused a survivable wound. If he had been able to see the peson he would have had a better chance of a solid "center mass"* hit - presuming what he saw actually caused him to apprehend a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury.

stay safe.

* "center mass" is around the belly button. Much better to aim for the triangle consisting of the nipples to the center of the forehead.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    then he xports wounded daughter himself instead of waiting for ems?

me thinks he is bucking for an full pay retirement for stress related issues.

whew...

ipse
    The Deputy needs some jail time which is the only relevant issue here, but as far as transporting her himself, I give him high marks. He knows the system. Depend on EMS and die.

I wouldn't call those SOB's if I'd cut off both legs and didn't have a band aid.

Back to the shooting, no one in their right mind would shoot shadows, especially not a LEO and especially a LEO with sneak in the house age children.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The deputies employment is absolutely relevant. The deputies training, as a deputy, has everything to do with his response to a "intruder" in his garage. He failed to ID his target. He failed to use the force continuum that he "may" have been taught. He failed to ID if there was a lethal threat to he or his. Cops are always held up, almost without exception by other cops, as better able to handle a firearm.

Watch more than a few youtube videos where cops "educate" OCers on the perils of OC.

Watch a youtube video where a cop (female) almost shoots a restrained and on the ground subject and/or her partner.
    Watch a video of a DEA agent shooting himself in the foot right after he declares that only he is qualified to handle a firearm.
    Read the accounts of a deputy who leaves a firearm out for his little kid to shoot herself.

No, his employment has everything to do with his act.

Don't forget the California cop who left his loaded gun in the seat pocket and got shot in the spine by his toddler while driving.
    Last edited by wimwag; 08-15-2014 at 03:09 PM.

I'm going to suggest something. Maybe he intended to scare her but he shot her on accident. Aimed for the wall, hit his kid. Kinda like the NYPD aiming for the kid , hitting the wall two parked cars and each other.

Banned
    Maybe he was not trying to bring her to the hospital was was driving her to the woods for a "proper" burial.

Even with me, who believes you should be able to shoot anyone (uninvited) on their land, the daughter is/was a proper person on the land...so this guy is gonna have issues beyond just knowing he plugged his princess.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    I'm going to suggest something. Maybe he intended to scare her but he shot her on accident. Aimed for the wall, hit his kid. Kinda like the NYPD aiming for the kid , hitting the wall two parked cars and each other.
    Meh, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Or, stupid is as stupid does.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast