• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deputy mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder, shoots her as she snuck in through garage

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
then he xports wounded daughter himself instead of waiting for ems?

me thinks he is bucking for an full pay retirement for stress related issues.

whew...

ipse

The Deputy needs some jail time which is the only relevant issue here, but as far as transporting her himself, I give him high marks. He knows the system. Depend on EMS and die.

I wouldn't call those SOB's if I'd cut off both legs and didn't have a band aid.

Back to the shooting, no one in their right mind would shoot shadows, especially not a LEO and especially a LEO with sneak in the house age children.

wimwag

The deputies employment is absolutely relevant. The deputies training, as a deputy, has everything to do with his response to a "intruder" in his garage. He failed to ID his target. He failed to use the force continuum that he "may" have been taught. He failed to ID if there was a lethal threat to he or his. Cops are always held up, almost without exception by other cops, as better able to handle a firearm.

Watch more than a few youtube videos where cops "educate" OCers on the perils of OC.

Watch a youtube video where a cop (female) almost shoots a restrained and on the ground subject and/or her partner.
Watch a video of a DEA agent shooting himself in the foot right after he declares that only he is qualified to handle a firearm.
Read the accounts of a deputy who leaves a firearm out for his little kid to shoot herself.

No, his employment has everything to do with his act.

Don't forget the California cop who left his loaded gun in the seat pocket and got shot in the spine by his toddler while driving.

Last edited:

wimwag

I'm going to suggest something. Maybe he intended to scare her but he shot her on accident. Aimed for the wall, hit his kid. Kinda like the NYPD aiming for the kid , hitting the wall two parked cars and each other.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Maybe he was not trying to bring her to the hospital was was driving her to the woods for a "proper" burial.

Even with me, who believes you should be able to shoot anyone (uninvited) on their land, the daughter is/was a proper person on the land...so this guy is gonna have issues beyond just knowing he plugged his princess.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'm going to suggest something. Maybe he intended to scare her but he shot her on accident. Aimed for the wall, hit his kid. Kinda like the NYPD aiming for the kid , hitting the wall two parked cars and each other.

Meh, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Or, stupid is as stupid does.

Repeater

The thread is concerning guns, gun safety and happened in Virginia - it qualifies for inclusion.

I don't know the details, but IMHO he will never get over his mistake - sad for all.

Very good points.

Surprisingly, MDA-VA mentions this in their facebook page:

NEGLIGENT SHOOTING IN VIRGINIA
"The rustling wasn't an intruder, but his teenage daughter."

If you've had enough, join us: http://www.momsdemandaction.org/join-us/.

You wouldn't know it, but they're talking about the same thing!

And they are using it for recruitment -- disgusting.

Lyndsy Simon

I'm of the opinion that it is extremely bad form to drag a man through the mud when he's obviously going through a terrible struggle.

My condolences to the officer, his daughter, and their family.

325rto

The Deputy needs some jail time which is the only relevant issue here, but as far as transporting her himself, I give him high marks. He knows the system. Depend on EMS and die.

I wouldn't call those SOB's if I'd cut off both legs and didn't have a band aid.

Back to the shooting, no one in their right mind would shoot shadows, especially not a LEO and especially a LEO with sneak in the house age children.

As a former EMT, I like to think that I made a difference. I will admit that there are times when it would be more prudent to 'scoop and scoot' before EMS gets there, but for most situations it's better to wait for the ambulance.

OC for ME

Kicking a man when he is down. Well, he certainly won't be feeling any kicks from us. I posted this story because it illustrates, perfectly, what we all should know and that we are responsible for our rounds down range. His act is far more egregious than violating the four basic rules of firearm safety. He, and I am guessing here, knew that as a trained LEO that he knew what he was doing.

papa bear

looks like stupid runs hard in that family. him for shooting someone not threatening him, and her for trying to sneak in at 3 in the am

Thundar

There are two ways to learn. The easy way is learning from the mistakes of others. The hard way is learning from your own mistakes.

Learn the easy way - know your target and what is behind it.

JoeSparky

Centurion
As a former EMT, I like to think that I made a difference. I will admit that there are times when it would be more prudent to 'scoop and scoot' before EMS gets there, but for most situations it's better to wait for the ambulance.

The question I have for the officer dad---- Just how effectively can you provide aid, control bleeding, do CPR, maybe even utilize the radio assuming patrol vehicle all WHILE YOU"RE DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Oh, you wrecked it! How long did that DELAY effective transport.

Please all, read the above paragraph not as a slam on Dad, I am sure he was not thinking clearly especially once he identified the NOW SHOT TARGET! But, remember it for yourselves IF ever in a situation where you may consider to attempt this. One CANNOT effectively and safely operate a motor vehicle AND provide aid for a passenger AT THE SAME TIME!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
looks like stupid runs hard in that family. him for shooting someone not threatening him, and her for trying to sneak in at 3 in the am

Did you ever sneak in at 3:00 AM?

All Kids do. I did it, my kids did it and none of us expected more than lifetime grounding and no phone.

Parents have to learn to not leave loaded guns around so their younger kids can get them and not shoot at shadows when their kids are teenagers.

This is a situation all parents have to forbid but expect, and anyone that says "My little darlings will never do or never did anything like that, is either real stupid or full of it."

Last edited:

va_tazdad

All Kids do. I did it, my kids did it and none of us expected more than lifetime grounding and no phone.

Parents have to learn to not leave loaded guns around so their younger kids can get them and not shoot at shadows when their kids are teenagers.

This is a situation all parents have to forbid but expect, and anyone that says "My little darlings will never do or never did anything like that, is either real stupid or full of it."

While I never tried to sneak in or out, my girls did. And yes, they were grounded for life, cell phone confiscated and (OMG) forced to ride the big yellow cheese to school while their brand new car sat in the driveway. (the ultimate embarrassment)

The thought of doing what this man did is beyond belief. I don't believe in kicking a man when they are down, but this guy is supposed to be "professionally" trained and knows better.

His action were not only STUPID, but criminal and inexcusable for someone that has his responsibilities. Shooting at shadows has NEVER been acceptable in any training I have had.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

After my favorite son had moved out, he had an occasion to come by the house at o:dark thirty one night. Just before he stepped into the doorway to my bedroom, he called out, "Dad, it's me."

We were both glad he did!

Maverick9

I think we're missing valuable insight here to say 'stupid' WRT the officer's actions.

It shows an officer was so fearful he shot someone in his garage who was not (yet) a threat. It shows stupidity in going INTO the garage in the first place. It shows cowardice that he didn't turn the light on first, from the cover of his doorway.

It shows poor judgment that he jumped into the car, risked his life and his daughters, I THINK, in a frantic attempt to 'cover it up' by getting her to the hospital and avoiding the publicity of the EMTs who would know it was a LEO.

He should NOT be on the force. I don't think his type, these days, is rare.

EMNofSeattle

Amazing, we have like ten eyewitnesses to the shooting who know it's criminal on this forum! In fact, any police shooting is witnesses in great detail to determine if someone should go to prison/lose their job by multiple OCDO members...... You guys need to call the department and help close this investigation

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Amazing, we have like ten eyewitnesses to the shooting who know it's criminal on this forum! In fact, any police shooting is witnesses in great detail to determine if someone should go to prison/lose their job by multiple OCDO members...... You guys need to call the department and help close this investigation

Just doing our job ...Sir! :banana: