• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deputy mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder, shoots her as she snuck in through garage

Lyndsy Simon

Condolences???:shocker:

Yes, condolences.

> Condolences are an expression of sympathy to someone who is experiencing pain arising from death, deep mental anguish, or misfortune.

They've definitely experienced misfortune and deep mental anguish, so offering condolences would seem to be the polite thing to do.

wimwag

Yes, condolences.

> Condolences are an expression of sympathy to someone who is experiencing pain arising from death, deep mental anguish, or misfortune.

They've definitely experienced misfortune and deep mental anguish, so offering condolences would seem to be the polite thing to do.

Condolences is something you give when someone dies or you hit your neighbor's dog. Not something you say when some dude caps his kid. Then you say "TABK."

If I were a cop that bust caps at shadows and hit my kid, I'd be mentally anguished too. At the thought of being in jail with people I put there.

It's ok. The union will pay for a lawyer and provide his kid with everything he's refused to buy her this last year. As long as she gets an iPhone, iPad, car and a few piercings, she should be fine. Might even refuse to testify against him.

I never snuck out as a kid, I just told my foster parents they couldn't do **** and walked out the front door. Coincidentally, the cops would always follow me around and bust me the second it was last curfew. Girls that sneak out are either getting high or pregnant. I know the type.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It must really suck having to live amongst us and in a world that has more than just two colors (black and white - but no grey!))

But just to get technical all over your azz - the daughter could decline to testify all day long and not have any impact on the outcome of the case. And yes, cops have a legitimate fear of being placed in general population - as does the jail/prisom administration. That's why incarcerated cops are treated the same as the most disruptive inmates - administrative segregation puts a real cramp in your daily life and mental state.

I'm curious - did you learn anything in foster care except that when you broke curfew you got busted? And by the way - how's all that "rebel against authority" working out for you as an [strike]adult[/strike] person past the legal age of majority? Have you found out that there are people who do not think and behave like you? (You know, those getting high and pregnant or getting high and getting girls pregnant.)

stay safe.

Blk97F150

Check out Douglas M Hoffman on WCCA. Court case 2009CM000265 is particularly interesting. And the one directly before it. Wife leaves him, files for a restraining order, demands child support, annuls the marriage and the Dougie violates it.

Familiar pattern.

You're living in a glass house Doug.

How is all this related to either this specific thread, or OC in Virginia??

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
DOB 1960? I think you have the wrong Huffman.

Please don't say that name here. Massa Doug may come back and is just as bad or worse than Badger or "I'm from Joisey" :uhoh:

And yes, the right Master Doug would have been born in the 40's.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please don't say that name here. Massa Doug may come back and is just as bad or worse than Badger or "I'm from Joisey" :uhoh:

And yes, the right Master Doug would have been born in the 40's.
Seems he still exists as a Nightmare :uhoh:

Been said that he has other persona on a string.

papa bear

Did you ever sneak in at 3:00 AM?

All Kids do. I did it, my kids did it and none of us expected more than lifetime grounding and no phone.

Parents have to learn to not leave loaded guns around so their younger kids can get them and not shoot at shadows when their kids are teenagers.

This is a situation all parents have to forbid but expect, and anyone that says "My little darlings will never do or never did anything like that, is either real stupid or full of it."

No, i never did i had my own house at 17. but when i did live with my parents. when i wasn't working. i would let them know what was going on. this was before cell phones. it was better if you wasn't in at a good time, you just didn't go in. slept in my car a few times

but neither of my kids did ether. they would let me know where they were, and what time i could expect them.

but then too. i would not shoot through my bathroom door, unless i knew whom was in there

papa bear

I think we're missing valuable insight here to say 'stupid' WRT the officer's actions.

It shows an officer was so fearful he shot someone in his garage who was not (yet) a threat. It shows stupidity in going INTO the garage in the first place. It shows cowardice that he didn't turn the light on first, from the cover of his doorway.

It shows poor judgment that he jumped into the car, risked his life and his daughters, I THINK, in a frantic attempt to 'cover it up' by getting her to the hospital and avoiding the publicity of the EMTs who would know it was a LEO.

He should NOT be on the force. I don't think his type, these days, is rare.

Let's change that from fear to "Arrogant". "it shows an officer that was so arrogant, that someone would have broken into his house he was going to shoot them. a lot of the same arrogance that get a lot of civilians killed these days

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let's change that from fear to "Arrogant". "it shows an officer that was so arrogant, that someone would have broken into his house he was going to shoot them. a lot of the same arrogance that get a lot of civilians killed these days

Well put!

papa bear

Well put!

Well PETER, i hate to assume what was in the LEO's mind. could have been fear , could have been arrogance, could have been both

but this is what is in most LEOs minds. he did shoot someone who was not attacking him, and when he couldn't see who it was. not a good shoot in my book

OC for ME

13 year vet. Administrative leave, with or without pay was not mentioned. What is ironic is that he may be placed back on the job, with a gat on his hip. But, that is different, he used his own personal gat, not a company gat.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
13 year vet. Administrative leave, with or without pay was not mentioned. What is ironic is that he may be placed back on the job, with a gat on his hip. But, that is different, he used his own personal gat, not a company gat.

'Splain yourself. Are you suggesting that he is going to be able to duck a felony charge? Are you suggesting that he is going to be able to duck a domestic violence misdemeanor? Nothing in 18.2-57.2 says it has to be with evil intent. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-57.2

18.2-57.3 gives the possibility of a deferred proceeding withouta finding of guilt http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-57.3 but even given the heartbreaking circumstances that's going to take a lot of guts for a Commonwealth Attorney to ask for or a judge to select. Even the non-gun community understands "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Amazingly, the elements of "assault and battery" and "malicious assault" are found in the Common Law and not the Code of Virginia. In Common Law a battery resulting in the spilling of blood is considered "malicious assault".

I'm just playing what-if games here, not trying to second-guess the CA and/or the judge. My "what-if"s all come up with at least the Lautenberg Amendment coming into play.

So how do you figure he will return to work with a gat on his hip?

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

I doubt the officer will be charged, is there a charge for being stupid? He screwed up royally, but the powers and the public will not want his head on a platter, because he is a cop. Nothing wrong with being a cop, but cops, and even former cops should be treated the same as the rest of society. That includes myself.

wimwag

I doubt the officer will be charged, is there a charge for being stupid? He screwed up royally, but the powers and the public will not want his head on a platter, because he is a cop. Nothing wrong with being a cop, but cops, and even former cops should be treated the same as the rest of society. That includes myself.

Are you saying you're former law enforcement?