• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Demilitarization of police could be a new reality

NAVYBLUE

To All,

Thanks for your inputs on my statement, but let me put "protect and serve" in perspective as a 66 year old who grew up in a coal mining town and surrounding suburbia.

There is a theory called "The Broken Window theory". The link is below and worth reading for those who want to maybe stop a juvenile from turning into the next criminal. Mayor Giuliani, former mayor of New City from 1994-2001 is a student of this theory.

In this theory the precept is if you stop a youngster at the breaking windows for fun stage in their life, there is a good chance you could possibly stop a future criminal. As head NAVY recruiter for NYC, Long Island and New jersey from 1990-1993 and a tour in Earle, New Jersey 1993-1995, I saw first hand what happens when you tell kids your not going to go around busting windows, panhandlers aren't going to go around harassing commuters for money, window cleaners aren't going to harass commuters for money after cleaning their windows without permission. It when on and on and on with the cops stopping law abiding citizens from being harassed and intimidated by street thugs and he took a lot of cops from cars and put them om beats. It greatly improved the quality of life in the area and cops spent more time stopping crime than writing after action reports. Of course, Mayor Dinkens (liberal) stopped it and NYC is now it is a scumbags heaven.

That being said, that is the "protect and serve" I grew up with. The local cop stopped me and my friends from escalating our mischief to the point of embarrassing our families and ending up in county jail. Nowadays the ACLU would sue the P.D.

Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

And again to the police. If you want to play soldier, put on your jockstrap and big boy pants, join the Army or Marines and get back to me about how tough you are.

NAVYBLUE

OC for ME

I had to think on this broken window theory for a while, so, pardon the lengthy delay. What if I told my kid to break my window because I am going to replace it and a cop only sees (knows) what he sees? The cop approaches my kid and is told that my dad said it was OK. What does the cop do then? Say OK and then walk away? Likely not.

If we seek both sides of the story in the search for the facts then the broken window theory is fundamentally flawed. Just cuz it works most of the time, by dumb luck, does not mean that it is a good policy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I had to think on this broken window theory for a while, so, pardon the lengthy delay. What if I told my kid to break my window because I am going to replace it and a cop only sees (knows) what he sees? The cop approaches my kid and is told that my dad said it was OK. What does the cop do then? Say OK and then walk away? Likely not.

If we seek both sides of the story in the search for the facts then the broken window theory is fundamentally flawed. Just cuz it works most of the time, by dumb luck, does not mean that it is a good policy.

Good question.

I see breaking property, especially property that can be used to gain entry, as RAS of a crime. "My daddy said to" now becomes an affirmative defense, and I have little problem with the boy being detained while it is sorted out. A parent should realize that he is asking his kid to do something suspicious and should be there to handle it.

OC for ME

Good question.

I see breaking property, especially property that can be used to gain entry, as RAS of a crime. "My daddy said to" now becomes an affirmative defense, and I have little problem with the boy being detained while it is sorted out. A parent should realize that he is asking his kid to do something suspicious and should be there to handle it.
In Mo the kid must inject a claim of right, RSMo 569.130.

RSMo 569.100 and 569.120 are property damage statutes.

So:

Cop: Hey kid stop that!
Kid: Buzz of copper, it is my window! :p
Cop: Prove it you little snot nosed thug. :mad:
Kid: I don't have to, I claimed the right you illiterate jack-booted thug. Read the law 569.130. :p
Cop: Oh yeah! well, how about I take you down town you little punk. :mad::mad:
Kid: Oh yeah! You go ahead and try, I double dog dare ya. :p
Cop: :mad::mad::mad: OK, have it your way.
Dad: He ain't broke that window yet! :mad: Kid never does what I tell him to, always mouthing off. You can keep him a day or two.