• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Jersey vet says military T-shirt led to denied entry at Six Flags amusement park

protias

Is there a difference in barring someone from your business for a civil right (being black) versus barring them for a dress code (offensive or lack of shirt)?

In common sense and every state I know of, it is a clear difference, but I do not know NJ or WI.

Again, there is a difference between what is legal and what is right.

RU serious

Sorry, but your argument is weak. How can you possibly say that something open to the public, can prohibit people from going in. Do you also say public property is a prohibited place? You have failed to answer my question of how something being legal (refusal of allowing some entering in) is morally right.
Again, there is a difference between what is legal and what is right.
Computer locked and I couldn't reply to the 1st before the 2nd was posted which is actually convenient.

Weak, how do you figure? It is private property. If I don't allow certain clothes in my amusement park or the carry of guns in my restaurant, it is my choice. Ticket or burrito sales may suffer (OR flourish) but it is still my choice. You get to choose whether or not to cross the threshold.

You didn't ask me a "morality" question but rather one of Civil Rights. Of course that can be considered a morality issue which was a group decision by The People.

That said, as pro-gunners, we can't even be civil to one another when someone (me) says they'd rarely OC if the option were available, so there's NO WAY we could agree on what is moral on other issues.

Last edited:

papa bear

RUSERIOUS, as had been explained on this site many times. There are no property rights in the US. if they made a law saying you have to let barefoot people in, then that is what you would have to do. BTW it is obvious they let barefoot people in six flags all the time. think about this, he probably could have went in without a shirt at all

SKIDMARK i am with you on the shirt was trashy, but who am i to deal with fashion. i can't even stand holes in my clothes. I will have to say it is not up to me to judge anybodies dress

as far as the "phrase" goes, i think it's funny. i find nothing offensive about it at all. but that is just me. but what i really am wondering is what did they let pass. some of the shirts that people wear is highly distasteful.

what if had had a phrase like "damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead",or "give me liberty or give me death" two very violent phrases. but well within historic context. Again though, what if it had been a shirt saying "ISLAM, a religion of peace". it would be only fair if they stopped all phrases on shirts in the park

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...SKIDMARK i am with you on the shirt was trashy, but who am i to deal with fashion. i can't even stand holes in my clothes. I will have to say it is not up to me to judge anybodies dress

as far as the "phrase" goes, i think it's funny. i find nothing offensive about it at all. but that is just me. but what i really am wondering is what did they let pass. some of the shirts that people wear is highly distasteful.

what if had had a phrase like "damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead",or "give me liberty or give me death" two very violent phrases. but well within historic context. Again though, what if it had been a shirt saying "ISLAM, a religion of peace". it would be only fair if they stopped all phrases on shirts in the park

I, too, wouldn't wear that shirt, but it would be among the least offensive things I see people doing everyday, also.

Good point on other similar slogans.

I agree on how to make it fair. But I'm sure you'd agree that being fair is not required.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The government does NOT have morals. And they generally cannot enforce morals. "Moral turpitude" is a legal concept that refers to "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals." But, what is that? "Morality" means principles or the distinction between right and wrong. "Turpitude" means depravity or wickedness.

Government has standards for attorneys and doctors under moral turpitude. Many courts consider not paying taxes as inherently evil under moral turpitude, but pressuring a client or patient into having sex is not moral turpitude.

Constitutional rights and civil rights have differences when it comes to private businesses. The business can ban guns, but cannot deny service based on a racial, ethnic, or gender criteria, etc.

The Supreme Court has addressed constitutional rights when it comes to private business open to the public. And under very, very limited circumstances you ain't got any.

My question is why does that private business have to compromise their morals and accept your morals?

Custodian

I don't know how you spun from the state name New Jersey to New Jerusalem. Jersey was founded/gained independence in the Thirteenth Century and long before the concept of Jerusalem became politicized. Shalom aleikhem.

Where else?

Urbanized black culture. I've heard the term used about as long as I can remember, going back to the early days of my youth.

Also, being married to a woman, also deep in said culture, who was born and raised in from New Jersey, who constantly used said term, as did most of her family who still live in that area sealed it in my head.

TL;DR?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=new jerusal

papa bear

I, too, wouldn't wear that shirt, but it would be among the least offensive things I see people doing everyday, also.

Good point on other similar slogans.

I agree on how to make it fair. But I'm sure you'd agree that being fair is not required.

True, but that is one thing about life. it is very fair