Thread: Police Union Contracts

Police Union Contracts

Can anyone tell me if union contracts for police employees are a matter of public record?

A friend of mine brought up an interesting question when we were talking about the militarized police state we see more and more every day. After reading an article about swat being dispatched for a non violent dispute between a brother and sister, he wondered if police employees or departments get a bonus for suiting up. Any info on contracts being public would be great. Thanks.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Interesting topic. I promptly found this -

WISCONSIN PROFESSIONAL POLICE ASSOCIATION CONTRACT 2008 – 2009 – 2010 COUNTY OF WAUKESHA
    WAUKESHA, WISCONSIN
    http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/upload...20contract.pdf 1.5 MB 18 pages

http://www.town.madison.wi.us/police...14Contract.pdf
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-16-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Here is the part that I believe is relevant to the OP in one of the contracts that was linked to in response to the OP.
    Call In All employees covered by this Agreement shall respond to a call to work outside of their regular
    schedule of hours, by their department head or others designated by the department head. A minimum
    of two (2) hours at time and one half (1-1/2) shall be granted to any employee who is requested to
    report outside his regular schedule of hours or report to work as scheduled and is sent home.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    The contracts are public records...available under most states records acts.

Ask for an inspection IMO ... they'll likely just hand you it

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if union contracts for police employees are a matter of public record?

A friend of mine brought up an interesting question when we were talking about the militarized police state we see more and more every day. After reading an article about swat being dispatched for a non violent dispute between a brother and sister, he wondered if police employees or departments get a bonus for suiting up. Any info on contracts being public would be great. Thanks.
    Don't know about the above but this I do know----

Mission creep happens in every government or agency--- from the Federal and its many bureaucracies, to the various States, to each and every county, city, township, or municipality. And it takes the efforts of true patriots at each and every level of government to resist and limit it.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 08-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Collective bargaining contracts are generally public records. But the questions you are asking usually are not answered there.

Overtime pay is a HR matter, which usually will be public record as to what positions are eligible to get it, but not specifically who got how much. OTOH, gross salary of public employees, by name, is usually a public record.

Why/where/when SWAT is sent out is an operational policy issue - much of that is not FOIA-eligible. Based on administrative policy you may be able to find out when & where SWAT was sent out (past tense).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I would guess it's a numbers game. Certain number of call-outs per year tied to the budget. If you don't get used, budget is decreased. So upper brass finds ways to keep the money flowing.

Administrators hate it when crime goes down, and by that I mean the upper brass not the beat officer.