• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Escalante

Bernymac

Greetings all,
We are planning on visiting Escalante and hiking some of the trails at Calf Creek falls. Are there any restrictions on open carry in the park/trails?

JoeSparky

Centurion
Greetings all,
We are planning on visiting Escalante and hiking some of the trails at Calf Creek falls. Are there any restrictions on open carry in the park/trails?

Joking: Just obey the law!--- Alright, not really joking, LOL

IF this location is a National park/Forest and has federal buildings where federal workers are regularly present and the building is posted as required by law then DON'T CARRY IN THOSE POSTED BUILDINGS.

Otherwise, carry as you like! Tourists in buses may stare. Smile at em and enjoy!

Utah's restricted carry/no go locations are: Secure part of the airport, courthouses, school property k-university if you don't have a permit (Utah recognizes EVERY State or County permit), Secure portion of mental facilities, jails, police stations. If in the Wasatch Front area and using the UTA, TRAX, FRONTRUNNER transportation systems--- can't carry without a permit--- they will say you must conceal--the law does not. It ONLY says that you must have a permit to conceal.

When are you arriving? I just might if schedule permits make the trip to shake your hand! Always looking for a reason to ride!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...IF this location is a National park/Forest and has federal buildings where federal workers are regularly present and the building is posted as required by law then DON'T CARRY IN THOSE POSTED BUILDINGS.

Otherwise, carry as you like! Tourists in buses may stare. Smile at em and enjoy!

Utah's restricted carry/no go locations are: Secure part of the airport, courthouses, school property k-university if you don't have a permit (Utah recognizes EVERY State or County permit), Secure portion of mental facilities, jails, police stations...
I don't know if it's the law or not, but a few years ago we rode the buses in Zion National Park - I don't believe you were allowed to drive in the park, except to the hotel if you were a guest, and through the park. As I recall, either the buses were posted or I saw somewhere that it was illegal to carry on the buses.

Any clarification or correction would be appreciated.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I don't know if it's the law or not, but a few years ago we rode the buses in Zion National Park - I don't believe you were allowed to drive in the park, except to the hotel if you were a guest, and through the park. As I recall, either the buses were posted or I saw somewhere that it was illegal to carry on the buses.

I have zero experience with the buses in Zions.... last time i was there (last Century), I drove my own vehicle. It would be hard to construe "bus" for "building" if I remember the federal law....

From the Zions National Park website.....[HTMLhttp://www.nps.gov/zion/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm][/HTML]

"Firearms
People who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, can legally possess firearms in Zion National Park and must follow all state and federal laws. Discharging firearms or hunting within the park is prohibited. Firearms are prohibited in park facilities."

And regarding the park shuttles...
[HTMLhttp://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/shuttle-system.htm]
HTML:
"
[B]Please[/B]

[LIST]
[*]No eating or smoking on the bus 
[*] [LEFT]Beverages other than water are not allowed[/LEFT]

[*] [LEFT]Pets are not allowed on the shuttle buses"
[/LEFT]

[/LIST]

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

I have zero experience with the buses in Zions.... last time i was there (last Century), I drove my own vehicle. It would be hard to construe "bus" for "building" if I remember the federal law....

From the Zions National Park website....http://www.nps.gov/zion/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

"Firearms
People who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, can legally possess firearms in Zion National Park and must follow all state and federal laws. Discharging firearms or hunting within the park is prohibited. Firearms are prohibited in park facilities."

And regarding the park shuttles.... http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/shuttle-system.htm

"
Please

• No eating or smoking on the bus
  • Beverages other than water are not allowed​
  • Pets are not allowed on the shuttle buses"

Bernymac

Thank you for the info. I was able to read them right before I left for Escalante. I apologize for not replying back as I did not do much interweb surfing whilst on vacation.

I OC's during the hikes and all through my stay. Didn't have any issues. A question here and there from a German and French tourists, thinking I was some sort of ranger. I just told that I am also on vacation. Didn't ask about why I was carrying, so it was pretty uneventful.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
Police Stations off limits for carrying?

Utah's restricted carry/no go locations are: Secure part of the airport, courthouses, school property k-university if you don't have a permit (Utah recognizes EVERY State or County permit), Secure portion of mental facilities, jails, police stations. If in the Wasatch Front area and using the UTA, TRAX, FRONTRUNNER transportation systems--- can't carry without a permit--- they will say you must conceal--the law does not. It ONLY says that you must have a permit to conceal.

When are you arriving? I just might if schedule permits make the trip to shake your hand! Always looking for a reason to ride!

I thought police stations were legal to carry in openly or concealed. I have been in the Provo City Hall twice, maybe I could have been arrested as the Provo Police are in the same building. BTW I just moved here finally from Chicago on Fri 03 Oct, It is truly beautiful here, would love to meet you sometime over lunch or dinner brother and some other open carriers from here in Utah County

Attachments

• squaw Peak Oct2014 #2.jpg
    squaw Peak Oct2014 #2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74

JoeSparky

Centurion
I thought police stations were legal to carry in openly or concealed. I have been in the Provo City Hall twice, maybe I could have been arrested as the Provo Police are in the same building. BTW I just moved here finally from Chicago on Fri 03 Oct, It is truly beautiful here, would love to meet you sometime over lunch or dinner brother and some other open carriers from here in Utah County

Yep, all areas of police stations that are open to the public!

NewZealandAmerican

Yep, all areas of police stations that are open to the public!

From BCI website

As a permit holder, exactly, where can I carry or not carry a handgun? The concealed firearm permit allows an individual to carry a firearm fully loaded and concealed. The permit also allows an individual to carry a firearm into public schools. Permit holders can not carry a firearm into federal or state restricted areas i.e. any airport secured area, federal facilities, courts, correctional & mental health facilities, law enforcement secured areas, a house of worship or private residence where notice given and/or posted, any secured area in which firearms are prohibited and notice posted, or otherwise prohibited by state of federal law.

Does that mean even the customer service area of any police or sheriffs station? Sorry that I am still locked on this question. In my 3 weeks of living here I still have not walked up to any police station or to find out if they have "no firearms allowed" stickers on their doors to remind you.

BTW in all my frequent open carrying in 3 weeks I still have not seen a soul open carrying here in Provo, Orem and Springville

JoeSparky

Centurion
IF it is a area OPEN to the public you are free to carry their--- referring to the previous post by NZA.

In fact, it would be against STATE law for ANY Utah State, County, or Local Law Enforcement agency to have and enforce a GFZ in any of their PUBLIC Lobbies!

As too the OPEN carry in Utah County---- IF I am out and about I am OC'ing. Heck, I am OC'ing as I do my yard work, wander the house, and sit in front of the computer! Very Rarely, will I conceal. But, it has been known to happen on a very rare occasion!

So, what is your schedule like Tuesday or Wednesday for an OC lunch THIS week?:dude:

Last edited:

NewZealandAmerican

Open Carry lunch

IF it is a area OPEN to the public you are free to carry their--- referring to the previous post by NZA.

In fact, it would be against STATE law for ANY Utah State, County, or Local Law Enforcement agency to have and enforce a GFZ in any of their PUBLIC Lobbies!

As too the OPEN carry in Utah County---- IF I am out and about I am OC'ing. Heck, I am OC'ing as I do my yard work, wander the house, and sit in front of the computer! Very Rarely, will I conceal. But, it has been known to happen on a very rare occasion!

So, what is your schedule like Tuesday or Wednesday for an OC lunch THIS week?:dude:
Thanks for clarifying for me about the lobby parts of a police/sheriffs station and as for lunch how about tomorrow about 1pm at Village Inn Provo. If you have to drive all the way from Pleasant Grove I can spring for your lunch. I will PM my cellph to you! It will be a good sight to see another citizen open carry with me.