• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice for a soon-to-be Marine?

Mr Birdman

fruits and flakes

Instead of quoting everyone (which would make this a very long post) I'm simply going to put names to the individuals I am replying to:

Primus: As with being in Law Enforcement yourself though let me ask you this: Are MP's frowned upon by civilian agencies? I have heard both that it will be closest to Civilian PD work as well as that MP's are trained so differently from other agencies that it is hard to break old training habits.

jackrockblc: Thanks for the advice, I believe that will be the path I take.

Marshaul: And why is this?

Mr. Birdman: I would go Army but it is something about "The Few and The Proud" that just sticks out to me, I wanna be part of the most BA branch possible, besides everyone knows what Army is: Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice though as I think I will be going regular MP then hopefully advancing into a Dog Handler position.

MAC702: When I say "We" it really is just Me enlisting however as a family we will all be going through it so I say "We".

Mr. Birdman: I don't know about everyone in the military being "fruits and flakes" or practicing "satanic religions/ways". That's a little harsh to say such things about our military isn't it?

SFCRetired: I plan on doing as much school while I'm in that way I can at least have my Bachelors done upon completion of my enlistment, since I do have some school under my belt as of now.

Walking Wolf: What exactly do you mean by that?

Thank you all for the advice, any other advice would still be greatly appreciated as I will be continuing to check this forum prior to signing under a certain MOS and will hopefully be able to give updates while going through MP training and etc. :cool:

Never said all are fruits and flakes I said they let them in now. Nothing like a ass pirate marine who goes to a satanic wicken cult:shocker:

Primus

Instead of quoting everyone (which would make this a very long post) I'm simply going to put names to the individuals I am replying to:

Primus: As with being in Law Enforcement yourself though let me ask you this: Are MP's frowned upon by civilian agencies? I have heard both that it will be closest to Civilian PD work as well as that MP's are trained so differently from other agencies that it is hard to break old training habits.

jackrockblc: Thanks for the advice, I believe that will be the path I take.

Marshaul: And why is this?

Mr. Birdman: I would go Army but it is something about "The Few and The Proud" that just sticks out to me, I wanna be part of the most BA branch possible, besides everyone knows what Army is: Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice though as I think I will be going regular MP then hopefully advancing into a Dog Handler position.

MAC702: When I say "We" it really is just Me enlisting however as a family we will all be going through it so I say "We".

Mr. Birdman: I don't know about everyone in the military being "fruits and flakes" or practicing "satanic religions/ways". That's a little harsh to say such things about our military isn't it?

SFCRetired: I plan on doing as much school while I'm in that way I can at least have my Bachelors done upon completion of my enlistment, since I do have some school under my belt as of now.

Walking Wolf: What exactly do you mean by that?

Thank you all for the advice, any other advice would still be greatly appreciated as I will be continuing to check this forum prior to signing under a certain MOS and will hopefully be able to give updates while going through MP training and etc. :cool:

I can't speak for all agencies but I can say we currently have 3 MPs I work with just on my shift (2 army 1 SF). There is also another MP currently in academy. Plus there is at least a few more guys that I've heard in passing as being a mud puppy. What I can say is not only have they all been hired but I've NEVER heard a bad word about their training.

Also, the most recent guy coming on was MP in the guard. So his entire unit was basically MPs in the guard and then local law enforcement and state troopers. I was never a mud puppy but I've talked to them a lot. The basics are the same but it's application that's different.

Put it this way... Go k9 and get that extra training. Also as others have said get all the college and school you can while you can. Then come on the job hopefully at a PD that does education incentive.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

SFCRetired

Master-at-Arms, or MA, is the USN police. Shore patrol is a duty day watch stood by anyone E-4 to O-3 for the purpose of rounding up drunk sailors and keeping them out of "prohibited" areas.

My opinion: If you are looking to wear a uniform, join the Coast Guard. Be an MK (marine diesel mechanic) as it offers a good career path in and out of service.

I will second this recommendation for a variety of reasons. One of which is that the Coast Guard now performs quite a variety of marine law enforcement operations. There are a number of civilian law enforcement agencies that would be looking for such a skill set. That also includes the MOS put forward by Levi.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Do remember this one thing: A recruiter, without regard to branch, will promise you the moon. If they do not put it down on paper, it is worthless.

Congrats on your decision to enlist. I am a 35 year vet with almost ten years in recruiting, both as field recruiter and guidance counselor. All services pay the same. The Army is the largest pyramid ( potus at the top, all those privates at the bottom), so that will give you the most opportunity for advancement. Smaller the pyramid, less chance of advancement. USMC is the smallest pyramid, so you are limiting yourself and your future. You will receive NOTHING, and I say again, NOTHING that is not in writing, up front, before you make the commitment. You will be making a legal contract for all, ALL your benefits and then get sworn in to your contract. You have the right to get all the way up to "I, (state your name)........." and say "I, (change my mind)......". Promises will be just that, promises, and nothing else. If you do not have it in writing..........."It ain't a gonna happen." Your recruiter may be the best guy in the world, but once you raise your hand, he is gone.
Look at the advertising. The Corps sells macho fantasy ( I like the chess pieces), the USAF tells you everyone gets to fly, the Navy sells adventure at sea, and the Army, well they sell college.

Bottom line, it is your call, but do not sell your self short. If you make 50 or better on that asvab you will be a hot commodity. Be aware and do not get hoodwinked.

Remember, Semper Gumby.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I will second this recommendation for a variety of reasons. One of which is that the Coast Guard now performs quite a variety of marine law enforcement operations. There are a number of civilian law enforcement agencies that would be looking for such a skill set. That also includes the MOS put forward by Levi.

+2 if I had a wife and kid I would be thinking about the better duty stations that the coast guard well give you and them.

jackrockblc

Did the recruiter tell you of the stress your wife and kid will be subjected to?

Ain't that the truth? My first of two divorces could easily be laid at the feet of both the Army and the Air Force (I was Army, she was AF). And the divorce rate is relatively much higher for servicemembers than for civilians. But if you can survive that time, your marriage will be all the stronger for it. But it takes both people to be of fairly uncommon inner strength.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What is the differance between a E-2 and a O-1?
The E-2 Is a experienced service member and has been promoted once.

It's not that simple. Many O-1's are prior enlisted, and/or have up to four years of ROTC or Academy, the latter used to be active duty.
Some enlisted are E-3 as soon as they finish A-school, depending on their rating. And some officers start as an O-3, depending on their job and recruitment. Some came in as an O-6 during WW2.

OldCurlyWolf

Congrats on your decision to enlist. I am a 35 year vet with almost ten years in recruiting, both as field recruiter and guidance counselor. All services pay the same. The Army is the largest pyramid ( potus at the top, all those privates at the bottom), so that will give you the most opportunity for advancement. Smaller the pyramid, less chance of advancement. USMC is the smallest pyramid, so you are limiting yourself and your future. You will receive NOTHING, and I say again, NOTHING that is not in writing, up front, before you make the commitment. You will be making a legal contract for all, ALL your benefits and then get sworn in to your contract. You have the right to get all the way up to "I, (state your name)........." and say "I, (change my mind)......". Promises will be just that, promises, and nothing else. If you do not have it in writing..........."It ain't a gonna happen." Your recruiter may be the best guy in the world, but once you raise your hand, he is gone.
Look at the advertising. The Corps sells macho fantasy ( I like the chess pieces), the USAF tells you everyone gets to fly, the Navy sells adventure at sea, and the Army, well they sell college.

Bottom line, it is your call, but do not sell your self short. If you make 50 or better on that asvab you will be a hot commodity. Be aware and do not get hoodwinked.

Remember, Semper Gumby.

The ASVABT must be scored differently now than when I took it 44 years ago. I Scored 88 and above on all sections except clerical, where I got a 48.

Then there is that one where it used to take a score of 110 to be eligible for OCS, I forgot the name of that one. Never did learn what I scored on it, but the Gunny was ricocheting off the walls when he took it in to show the score to the Captain.
:cool:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The ASVABT must be scored differently now than when I took it 44 years ago. I Scored 88 and above on all sections except clerical, where I got a 48.

Then there is that one where it used to take a score of 110 to be eligible for OCS, I forgot the name of that one. Never did learn what I scored on it, but the Gunny was ricocheting off the walls when he took it in to show the score to the Captain.
:cool:

The overall score is the key to the asvab. All recruiters are excluded from testing, that is handled at the Military Entrance Processing Station(MEPS) usually with a physical. The scores you are referring to are individual line scores, they determine your ability to absorb training in ten different (Army) skill areas. The GT score is usually a 110 or better for most "special " stuff.

SBR_GUY

Marines

Hello all,

After long discussion and speaking with a recruiter my wife and I have decided that we are going to enlist into the Marines. I am in the process now of filling out all necessary paperwork and should be taking my ASVAB next Monday 8/25. Only question I feel like I really have at this time is what would be the best MOS to go into that would either lead to a career in Law Enforcement after serving my 4-8 years, or what MOS would be best for serving a full 20 years in order to retire from the Corps? Hopefully they both could be the same MOS? We are both young with me turning 20 next month and her turning 21 in early next year. Our first boy will be here in the end of October as well. So in other words we are just starting off with 4 years to make sure we enjoy the military life and to open up further career opportunities whether that be to stay in the Military or going into Local Law Enforcement. I am considering the following MOS's:

-0311 (Rifleman)
-0331 (Machine Gunner)
-5811 (Military Police)
-5812 (MP Dog Handler)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from any current or former Marines. That you guys for any advice, I greatly appreciate it! :lol:

Make sure you READ your contract. Because the Marines sign open contracts. eg. They CANNOT guarantee you a job like the Army or the Air Force. ALL Marines are riflemen first. Do a job that will PAY when you get out, like EOD or computer stuff.

Just My Opinion.

MontanaResident

I would advise not even joining. Its not what you think its about anymore.

I did 4 in the Corps 30 years ago, and enjoyed myself. Now, I would advise against it. Seeing those Army kids tossed into jail for following orders, in taking part in the torturing at the Abu Ghraib Iraqi prison, told me that there's injustices rampant in the services. You could find your life destroyed as a convenient scape goat for decisions made by political cowards.

Last edited:

CDT COX

Please don't.These are my observations. You'll say I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about. I do. The truth hurts. You aren't joining for the right reasons and will be a problem soldier. You feel like your back is against the wall because of an unplanned pregnancy and rushed marriage but joining the Corps won't fix that. It totally seems like a great idea to leave your new wife and kid for months of training for a job where you'll get the crappiest hours just because you are the new guy, too.

If you are dead set on joining, go to Air Force and get a regular 9-5 type job in an air conditioned office.

I would go Army but it is something about "The Few and The Proud" that just sticks out to me, I wanna be part of the most BA branch possible, besides everyone knows what Army is: Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice though as I think I will be going regular MP then hopefully advancing into a Dog Handler position.

All I can do is laugh at this. Post pics of your Semper Fi tattoo that I'm sure you've already plastered across your chest. Marines are the most BA? They've got a BA marketing team, I'll give you that. At the end of they day, they're still just a department of the Navy.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I did 4 in the Corps 30 years ago, and enjoyed myself. Now, I would advise against it. Seeing those Army kids tossed into jail for following orders, in taking part in the torturing at the Abu Ghraib Iraqi prison, told me that there's injustices rampant in the services. You could find your life destroyed as a convenient scape goat for decisions made by political cowards.

Another reason ... luckily, I had no reason to disobey any orders, the Army did put those people in a tough spot; humor is one way of dealing with being placed into tough spots ("funny pics" did not fare well in public opinion)

Politicians can always say "that's not what I meant, they should have known better" ... old arguments.

Well, I did disobey 1 order .... but my CO backed me up ... as the order given was a clear cut violation of our regs. Its good to know the regs!

Last edited:

MontanaResident

Another reason ... luckily, I had no reason to disobey any orders, the Army did put those people in a tough spot; humor is one way of dealing with being placed into tough spots ("funny pics" did not fare well in public opinion)

Politicians can always say "that's not what I meant, they should have known better" ... old arguments.

Well, I did disobey 1 order .... but my CO backed me up ... as the order given was a clear cut violation of our regs. Its good to know the regs!

From my perspective and limited knowledge those kids (or at least some of them) followed those orders with a bit to much (or any) enthusiasm. In a bad situation, one can follow orders and be an incompetant doofus and live out the day. But it just roasts my butt that those resposible further up the chain of command were able to avoid all accoutability with simple denials. IMO, the USA has had its integrity destroyed by its own doing.

325rto

My advice: enlist in the air force or navy. If you are going to enlist, at least come out with a marketable skill. Better advice: bust your butt working and get a college degree at night. Take the time to explore all options and provide better for your family. Becoming a grunt in the corps or the army isn't the answer to long term success. BTW:I enjoyed my time falling out of airplanes in the 82nd, but all my stories and experiences don't pay the bills.
Good luck.