• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cincinnati WEBN fireworks, No Weapons

JmE

Good work. The news report went very well. The comments on CH 12's Facebook page are pretty good too. I'm going to try and be there, BB62. Will probably make contact with you later today (Saturday).

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Well done, Jeff. You kept it short and to the point. I don't think anybody could watch that and not understand what this is all about. Not everybody will agree, but you made your case expertly. You have made them look like foolish, impotent bullies.
Public officials suffer excruciating pain when they are forced to admit to the fraud they are attempting to perpetuate on the public. This attitude assures that the rank and file police officers do not get the proper training. Perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydqr-k1Ex4
And this was one of your fellow Kentuckian educating a Cincinnati cop, a Sergent no less.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks WKRC TV. And thanks to all that showed up and open carried with us. Thank you all. There were a number of people that asked questions, thanked us for getting the word out and some just asked questions about their rights.

No police interaction. There were a few zombies, but we let them survive another day.

Thanks again....

Animalou812

WEBN fireworks.

The WEBN fireworks was my first experience participating in a open carry walk. I would like to thank Jeff for his help. Let me know when the next event is planned.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The WEBN fireworks was my first experience participating in a open carry walk. I would like to thank Jeff for his help. Let me know when the next event is planned.
I never would have guess that, seriously. Thank YOU for coming, from out of state, even!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
As posted to the Facebook event page:

First, a HUGE THANKS to those who came. I deeply appreciate your commitment, am glad to know those whom I just met, and was thrilled to see friends from past events.

My friend (who wishes to remain anonymous) and I showed up at 11AM. We quickly found that there was no entrance at the Purple People Bridge for the general public, but was instead at Bicentennial Commons, a short walk to the east, at Eggleston Avenue and US 52. (the other entrance was at Broadway & US 52)

At the entrance we looked at the list of “prohibited” items – neither weapons nor guns was listed. As we walked in I heard a woman say “No weapons” to a co-worker. We turned around and heard her co-worker say that she was told to report our description to the police. My friend and I sat down for a moment to discuss it, and I encouraged my friend to pursue the matter because he felt that we were being profiled. My friend spoke to the second woman, and asked for her boss. He came and said that the police requested that they do so, but couldn’t pinpoint *who* it was who made such a request. The woman’s boss’s boss ended up coming to the gate and assured us that no such order had been given (confusion which I find hard to believe). We asked that he make sure that the word went out to all gate workers, and he said he would do so immediately. None of us had anything said about firearms at either gate later in the day.

Another gate worker asked questions and we informed him of the law, both about firearms and about the “prohibitions” still in place. A female attendee overheard us and she and her husband asked various questions also. We were off to a great start!

Initially the crowd was sparse, but CPD officers paid no obvious attention to us, either then or later in the day. Apparently they’ve been told, in what I feel is a poor command decision, not to interact with open carriers unless they have a law enforcement reason to do so. As we walked various people noticed, some said “thanks”, and when we stopped to rest either I, my friend, or the people we stopped near started a conversation – every one of which was informative and rewarding for both us and the members of the public. On the OH side, and later on the KY side, I was surprised that a number of people recognized me from the Channel 12 interview, and one guy reached up to give me a “high five”, calling me the “open carry dude”! LOL

Fairly early in the day we ran into Dave Wukusick. He told us that earlier in the day the signage around the entrances had included “No weapons” verbiage, then later was covered over, but by the time my friend and I arrived the panel with that language had been replaced entirely, omitting the illegal prohibition! Maybe they figured out that I was serious with my threat to inform any unarmed victims of Clear Channel’s deception?

We ran into the reporter from Channel 12 (Brad Underwood) who did the earlier story. I expressed my appreciation to him for what I felt was a good story, and told him that he cracked the City Solicitor, who upheld the deception until asked if the prohibition was legal. As he and I were talking an attendee came up and offered his hand to me, and said “Thank you for what you’re doing”. I turned to the reporter and said something to the effect of “Did you see that? That’s the kind of thing your story and us being here has accomplished”.

During the day a number of people made it clear to us that either a) they were carrying concealed despite the illegal prohibition, 2) they chose not to carry because of the illegal prohibition, or 3) they wouldn’t have been carrying anyway, but were disgusted by the deceptive practices of Clear Channel and the City of Cincinnati.

What struck me in talking to everyone who participated is how and who approached them to ask questions or make a statement. It’s interesting to find out who is willing to ask questions, and of what participants. Having a cross-section of people really helps with outreach.

An hour or so before it closed, I crossed the Purple People Bridge with Cory Curl and walked the KY side of the river for a half hour or so. Some police officers at the flood gates said “Those guys have guns” as we walked in, but although I was evidently recognized by attendees, people either didn’t notice we were carrying, or didn’t consider a big deal at all.

Participants: people came and went during the day because of other commitments, but the total number of people in the group was between 15 and 20, 80-90% of whom were openly carrying.

There is no doubt that the overall goal was achieved – that of pushing the parties to back off. This was done with the considerable help of my friend, by Mike Titus, Channel 12, and everyone who showed up. Again, THANK YOU so much.

Now to get busy on Oktoberfest Zinzinnati’s rules. Stay tuned!

Brian D.

BB62, just a bit of information for the future: By my understanding, the "Purple People Bridge" has been owned privately for the last several years, going back to when the group set up that ill-fated pay-to-play "tourist attraction" walkway to the portions above the old road bed.

Obviously that fact presented you with no problems during the festival, just something to perhaps keep in mind when down there for any more walks.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
BB62, just a bit of information for the future: By my understanding, the "Purple People Bridge" has been owned privately for the last several years, going back to when the group set up that ill-fated pay-to-play "tourist attraction" walkway to the portions above the old road bed.

Obviously that fact presented you with no problems during the festival, just something to perhaps keep in mind when down there for any more walks.
Thanks for the info Brian. I went back and re-looked at it, and the bridge we crossed was the Taylor Southgate Bridge, west of Yeatman's Cove, not the PPB, which is east of Yeatman's Cove. I got to thinking, why did I not remember seeing purple...?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the info Brian. I went back and re-looked at it, and the bridge we crossed was the Taylor Southgate Bridge, west of Yeatman's Cove, not the PPB, which is east of Yeatman's Cove. I got to thinking, why did I not remember seeing purple...?
Isn't seeing purple very close to seeing red?

PPB is owned by a Kentucky nonprofit 501(c)(3) corp. Their rules don't mention a word about weapons. The rules seem to ask everyone to be good boys and girls.

Brian D.

PPB is owned by a Kentucky nonprofit 501(c)(3) corp. Their rules don't mention a word about weapons. The rules seem to ask everyone to be good boys and girls.

When they were trying to operate that bridge walk, ahem, attraction, they were doing a bang-up job with the 'non-profit' part of the program. You had to pay a minimum of $40 or so, change into a purple and yellow spandex climbing suit with harness, get tethered into the walk rails all the way to the top, and no cameras were allowed. However, for an additional fee they'd take a picture of you on the platform at the end. If it was near sunset or on a weekend the fees went to about $80. I heard that sometimes the locker rooms where patrons changed clothes were left unattended, you can guess what took place while the tour was in progress.

It lasted six months or so if memory serves. At the end the employees of the bridge walk were offering folks who worked at Newport on the Levee's restaurants a free admission so they'd have some justification for staying on duty. What a mega-flop it all was.

And before you ask, no, I didn't take part, hence there are no photos of me in the god-awful climbing outfit to share with y'all.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
When they were trying to operate that bridge walk, ahem, attraction, they were doing a bang-up job with the 'non-profit' part of the program. You had to pay a minimum of $40 or so, change into a purple and yellow spandex climbing suit with harness, get tethered into the walk rails all the way to the top, and no cameras were allowed. However, for an additional fee they'd take a picture of you on the platform at the end. If it was near sunset or on a weekend the fees went to about $80. I heard that sometimes the locker rooms where patrons changed clothes were left unattended, you can guess what took place while the tour was in progress.

It lasted six months or so if memory serves. At the end the employees of the bridge walk were offering folks who worked at Newport on the Levee's restaurants a free admission so they'd have some justification for staying on duty. What a mega-flop it all was.

And before you ask, no, I didn't take part, hence there are no photos of me in the god-awful climbing outfit to share with y'all.
If there were I'd have to wear really really dark glasses.

Sigger

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
Just out of curiosity, I requested records of any 911 calls or police activity involving firearms or MWAG calls. Both Cinci PD and Hamilton County Communications Center reported back that there were no MWAG calls or 911 calls involving firearms.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Just out of curiosity, I requested records of any 911 calls or police activity involving firearms or MWAG calls. Both Cinci PD and Hamilton County Communications Center reported back that there were no MWAG calls or 911 calls involving firearms.
Interesting! Thanks for the info.

On another subject, does anyone have Bill Cunningham's e-mail address?

Listen at the 19 minute mark: http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast.../tracie-hunter-open-carry-nfl-90414-25250487/

You saw the "numerous people" carrying AR-15's across their backs at the Fireworks, didn't you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JmE

IMHO, open carry is doing its job normalizing the sight of firearms in everyday life. Thanks for taking the time and posting that, Sigger.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Here is what I sent to Willie a couple of days ago.

Bill,
Per your 9/04/14 broadcast you made a statement that “there were numerous individuals with AR-15s across their backs walking around...” I helped coordinate the walk. I was present at the event from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Those involved in the open carry walk constantly traversed the entire park area. During that time we did not see one person carrying any long gun, not one. In other words, if there happened to be one or two they did not cross our paths. And one or two persons does not equate with numerous. So, either you were intentionally disseminating propaganda or you were lied to. In either case, the public was deceived and denied the truth.
This open carry walk would not have happened if WEBN had complied with Ohio law, the contract they entered into with the park board and the Park Board Rules. And the City of Cincinnati’s solicitor refused to address WEBN’s noncompliance with the law, contract and rules until WKRC-TV contacted the city solicitor.
I hope your parent company (Clear Channel) understands that as a corporate citizen they are not entitled to any more rights than the general citizenry.
Sincerely

XXXXXXXX

P/S When contacted about their weapons ban at Oktoberfest the Chamber of Commerce immediately removed it from their website.
To date, no response. I'm not surprised.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Sent to both of Bill Cunningham's e-mail addresses a few moments ago:

Bill,

A friend of mine made me aware of your conversation and comments of agreement with a representative of "Moms Demand Gun Sense" on your September 4, 2014 podcast:

http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast.../tracie-hunter-open-carry-nfl-90414-25250487/

During that broadcast you also made inaccurate and derogatory remarks about open carry and stated as fact that "numerous people" were carrying AR-15's across their backs at the WEBN Fireworks (at about the 19 minute mark).

As the organizer of a group of 15-20 the individuals who openly carried at the fireworks, and a long-time Second Amendment activist, it's apparent to me that you need some straightening out.

First, you bought into the lies and distortions of the MDA woman (a representative of a group I and others call the "Lying Mommies") - the biggest of which is the notion that they're just fine fine with concealed carry, but want to get rid of the scary practice of open carry. Have you spent any time reading their web page and their press releases? Have you spent any time reading the press releases of the corporations MDA has scared/convinced to ask gun carriers to leave their guns at home? Do you see any distinctions made between concealed and open carry? Let me give you a hint - there are none. They just want "common sense" gun laws. Uh huh.

Just like every other gun control group before them, they rely on emotion, distortions, lies, and people who don't think critically. Apparently you, a person who allegedly "supports the Second Amendment", have allowed your bias against open carry to crowd out your critical thinking skills.

Second, as to the matter of "numerous people" carrying AR-15's across their backs at the WEBN Fireworks, I don't know whether someone lied to you, or you made it up out of whole cloth, but what you stated as fact is a LIE. Not only was there no one in my group carrying a longarm of any sort, but neither did I see anyone else doing so.

How can I be so sure? Well, such an act would have clearly drawn my (and a lot of others) attention if there were in fact "numerous" people doing so. I'm (very tall) and can see above almost any crowd, as I was able to that day, and I was there from 11 AM until 15-20 minutes into the fireworks, either walking back and forth along the Serpentine Wall, on the lawn, near the port-o-lets, or at the entrances. What you stated as fact was the furthest thing from it.

Finally, your statement that you "support the Second Amendment" is baloney. You don't obtain a government-granted, somewhat costly license to exercise a RIGHT - you only do so when you choose to partake of a privilege. You seem to think that those who open carry only do so to be showboats of one kind or another, and again you are misinformed, purposefully or otherwise.

Below you see any e-mail that I sent to City Council a few days before the fireworks. In that e-mail you will note that I also copied in your boss, Chuck Fredrick. During the prior week, I and others had communicated by phone and e-mail with various parties, starting with Justin Tabas of Clear Channel, and following up with the Cincinnati Police and Cincinnati Law Departments. Each either pointed their finger in someone else's direction, or simply refused to respond to attempts to establish two-way communication. Only when Channel 12 got into the act was the City Solicitor forced to acknowledge the legality of weapon carry at the fireworks. His statement, as well as the inaction/silence of the responsible parties also made clear the accuracy of what I had been saying all along - Clear Channel and the City of Cincinnati were co-conspirators in denying people, by deception, their right to legally carry "weapons" at the event. (FYI - at the time of the event, the "weapons" prohibition still remained on WEBN's website - and if it stays there in any form for next year's event, I'll organize another open carry walk)

As a claimed Second Amendment "supporter" you ought to inform yourself to a greater extent than you apparently have, on a number of subjects.

JmE

Excellent emails, fellows! You really spell everything out, BB62. If Mr. Cunningham is simply ignorant of the facts then he could be a welcomed ally. However, I've been a fan of his for years and I'm betting that he is willfully ignorant and won't "see the light of truth". It's unfortunate as he's losing a big fan. Undoubtedly, I won't be the only one.

Chuck!

Excellent emails, fellows! You really spell everything out, BB62. If Mr. Cunningham is simply ignorant of the facts then he could be a welcomed ally. However, I've been a fan of his for years and I'm betting that he is willfully ignorant and won't "see the light of truth". It's unfortunate as he's losing a big fan. Undoubtedly, I won't be the only one.

I wanna see Willie invite BB62 on the program to debate it for an hour.
I bet BB62 can turn him around,,,,