Thread: MDA Now Targeting Kroger

MDA Now Targeting Kroger

I didn't see this posted anywhere here, so if it has already been discussed, then please delete...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Grocery-Aisles

First paragraph...
    "Michael Bloomberg-funded Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is now pressuring the Kroger supermarket chain to ban guns in its 2,500 stores. Their campaign against the exercise of Second Amendment rights within Kroger kicks off on August 18."

I OC in Kroger on a regular basis. I'll be sending them an email letting them know they will lose business if they cave.

Campaign Veteran
    Sad...but IMO, MOST businesses if pushed would cave-in: Doesn't take much to make the weak-willed (and probably closet anti-gun anyway) owners/CEOs to fold.

I hope Kroger doesn't cave, as I often shop @ King Soopers (Kroger-owned) here in The Great State of Colorado. Should Kroger fold, likely King Soopers would, too. Will then have to "retire" my Kroger Discount card (brought from TX where they HAVE Kroger supermarkets, and useable in King Soopers here). Even Smiths in NM probably would go GFZ, too, as they also are owned by Kroger (along with Albertsons, I go to Smiths when I am in Rio Rancho & ABQ -- and use my Kroger card @ Smiths).

So Kroger folding would make large ripples in the pond...

As per IMO then, if MAD keeps pushing, eventually MOST businesses will fold and become GFZs. At that point, we OC & CC people will have hardly anyplace to go, whether it be grocery shopping, general merchandise, services -- or whatever.

Yet just possibly, as some restaurants have done recently, maybe NEW businesses will see the anti-gun-posting/GFZ trend as an opportunity, and clearly cater TO "gun people," so maybe there is an evolution of sorts taking place presently.

But who knows...

:-(
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 08-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

The story is also on Yahoo. Read the comments listed below the story...they will make your head explode. Nothing but fear from the antis and also from the cc folks. Logic has left the building with Elvis. "I'll never shop here again if I see a gun in the open. Guns are scary." Baaaa......baaaa....baaaa go the sheople!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    --snipped--
    As per IMO then, if MAD keeps pushing, eventually MOST businesses will fold and become GFZs. At that point, we OC & CC people will have hardly anyplace to go, whether it be grocery shopping, general merchandise, services -- or whatever.
    I see and experience the total opposite.

The gun banners/haters are losing big time, in spite of Blomberg's millions and MAD's best efforts. Both the merchants and the public are disinclined to drink the Kool-aid in ever growing greater numbers.

There is virtually nothing I can't buy without disarming. The last major obstacle would seem to be major shopping malls (I don't like them much) and movie theaters (who still goes to these?).
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

We avoid BigBox/chain/franchise stores.

Our little Mom&Pop is nearing 110 years in operation at the same location. The owner is 85 y.o. and still works two 8-hour days each week after the delivery truck is unloaded. Son Jerry, the butcher, cuts great meat, both local and from the distributor. The produce is local and from the distributor. They have a small OTC drug section. Most prescription drugs are USPS delivered on order from the doctor/clinic/hospital.

They still run charge accounts off a little yellow and carbon charge booklet, handwritten.

It all depends on your priorities.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Sadly, the box stores have run Mom & Pops out of business here.

That being said, The only comments I have received at any of the several Krogers I've OCed in have been positive - even the one across the street from Virginia Commonwealth University. Several times I've spent a bit longer than I had anticipated due to conversations about gun rights and the laws about OC/CC. The second time that happened I learned not to pick up ice cream until I was headed directly towards the check-out lanes (as opposed to ice cream then milk then back down the long aisle to the front and the check-outs).

Instead of writing to Kroger threatening to boycot them if they cave in, I'm going to contact them and thank them for following state law as regards carrying.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Sadly, the box stores have run Mom & Pops out of business here.

That being said, The only comments I have received at any of the several Krogers I've OCed in have been positive - even the one across the street from Virginia Commonwealth University. Several times I've spent a bit longer than I had anticipated due to conversations about gun rights and the laws about OC/CC. The second time that happened I learned not to pick up ice cream until I was headed directly towards the check-out lanes (as opposed to ice cream then milk then back down the long aisle to the front and the check-outs).

Instead of writing to Kroger threatening to boycot them if they cave in, I'm going to contact them and thank them for following state law as regards carrying.

stay safe.
    Both excellent suggestions and full of win.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Sad...but IMO, MOST businesses if pushed would cave-in: Doesn't take much to make the weak-willed (and probably closet anti-gun anyway) owners/CEOs to fold.

I hope Kroger doesn't cave, as I often shop @ King Soopers (Kroger-owned) here in The Great State of Colorado. Should Kroger fold, likely King Soopers would, too. Will then have to "retire" my Kroger Discount card (brought from TX where they HAVE Kroger supermarkets, and useable in King Soopers here). Even Smiths in NM probably would go GFZ, too, as they also are owned by Kroger (along with Albertsons, I go to Smiths when I am in Rio Rancho & ABQ -- and use my Kroger card @ Smiths).

So Kroger folding would make large ripples in the pond...

Yet just possibly, as some restaurants have done recently, maybe NEW businesses will see the anti-gun-posting/GFZ trend as an opportunity, and clearly cater TO "gun people," so maybe there is an evolution of sorts taking place presently.

But who knows...

:-(
    And Walmart will send them a thank you card...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    -snip-

stay safe.
    I just wrote and suggested maintaining a neutral stance when it comes to political agenda's, any political agenda, by simply following the laws of the State where the stores are located.

Here is a link if folks wish to contact Kroger............

https://www.kroger.com/customercomments
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/1691...control-fight/ i don't think they care as of now.

Comment I sent to Kroger. Yes, it's long-winded.

First of all, two corrections: I shop at Harris Teeter, but I did not see that as a choice. Also, this is not a policy inquiry, but a policy "thank you". I almost always open carry a .40 caliber pistol on my hip when running errands around town. Most of the people in the local stores know me. A few times a week I will receive a "Thank you for carrying" from either a customer or an employee at any of several stores I frequent. I really appreciate your company's attitude on letting the local/state laws dictate your policy on law abiding citizens being allowed to protect themselves (and others) from the rare (but possible) criminals and nut cases out there wanting to cause trouble. Sadly, there are corporate entities that have bowed to a little bit of pressure from groups that want to restrict other people's rights because they are scared of inanimate objects or think the government's job is to protect everybody 24/7/everywhere. Obviously, that's not the case, nor is it even possible. Unfortunately, there are a few places around town that neither I, nor my family, or friends, will spend money at anymore. One movie theater is loosing about $1200 a year just from my family. I am currently using that money to buy a video projector system. My home theater audio system already beats the rig at the theater! Anyway, thanks for reading this (if you did). Signed: Xxx (don't want to shop at Wal-Mart) Xxxxxx.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    'A spokesman for Kroger, which also owns chains including Harris Teeter and Fred Meyer, said corporate policies abiding by state and local laws are sufficient to protect customers. "Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun," said Kroger spokesman Keith Dailey. "We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores."'

http://online.wsj.com/articles/open-...ger-1408313588

"Still, the antigun groups' success has been limited." ... 'Spokeswoman Molly Snyder said Target continues to follow local gun laws. "If someone is respectfully choosing to disagree with us, we're not going to ask them to leave because they are carrying a gun," Ms. Snyder said. "But if they are causing a disruption, we would address it."'
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    ... 'Spokeswoman Molly Snyder said Target continues to follow local gun laws. "If someone is respectfully choosing to disagree with us, we're not going to ask them to leave because they are carrying a gun," Ms. Snyder said. "But if they are causing a disruption, we would address it."'
    Because they are addressing the behavior, not the mere presence of some item.

How refreshing to see actual logic in action.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Campaign Veteran
    Sounds like Kieth Dailey (Kroger) and Howard Shultz (CEO/Starbucks) are buddies:

Howard tells Keith, "Hey, Keith, just make a public statement saying pretty much what I said when this happened @ Starbucks -- worked for me!"

;-)
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Sounds like Kieth Dailey (Kroger) and Howard Shultz (CEO/Starbucks) are buddies:

Howard tells Keith, "Hey, Keith, just make a public statement saying pretty much what I said when this happened @ Starbucks -- worked for me!"

;-)
    IMO there are many businesses that do not want to be political pawns in this.

They wisely choose to allow what is legal in the state where their establishment is located - easier for all to understand.

Starbucks said we'd rather that you didn't, but if you do, we won't ask you to leave.

Kroger did not say "don't" or "we'd rather that you didn't." There was no negativity in their response at all.

Grocery stores operate, unlike dept stores, on a very slim profit margin. Probably at the most 15%, they cannot afford to run off paying customers that are not a problem. For them to stay in business they have to be smart, and if so I am sure they realize that the MDA are not shoppers anywhere they make a issue.

As far as I know, MDA has been the only people kicked out of both a Chipotle, and a Target for harassing customers. Hopefully Kroger is where the tide turns and more CEO realize that catering to nut cases is a losing proposition.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Go to the below Kroger link and click on "Policy on Customers Carrying Firearms in Stores."

http://www.thekrogerco.com/news-room...ments-policies

Policy on customers carrying firearms in stores
    The safety of our customers and associates is one of our most important company values. Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun. That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping. We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores.
    But when you talk to the store managers and security guards at the Kroger stores it becomes clear that they don't know the store policy. In other words, front line employes and front line management is not getting the message.

I know from personal experience.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Grocery stores operate, unlike dept stores, on a very slim profit margin. Probably at the most 15%, they cannot afford to run off paying customers that are not a problem. For them to stay in business they have to be smart, and if so I am sure they realize that the MDA are not shoppers anywhere they make a issue.

As far as I know, MDA has been the only people kicked out of both a Chipotle, and a Target for harassing customers. Hopefully Kroger is where the tide turns and more CEO realize that catering to nut cases is a losing proposition.
    I agree 100% with this post
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    We avoid BigBox/chain/franchise stores.
    I generally do as well. Local hardware over Lowe's. Local dive over BW3. Etc.

What's funny is that I grew up as a kid in Cincinnati, and forget that it's big now sometimes. It was a small grocery at the end of the street back then, and I still shop at Kroger as an adult. But you are correct... by any measure Kroger is a big box.

I've never seen anyone OC there in hundreds upon hundreds of trips to Kroger, but I've seen some (not very well) concealed carry there. This is all a big deal over nothing.

I received the same text in an email response as color of law posted. I know it is a "canned" response but so are many of our letters to stores and politicians:

===
    Dear Bruce:

Thank you for contacting Kroger Customer Connect regarding our firearms policy. The safety of our customers and associates is one of our most important company values. Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun. That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping. We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores.

We value your feedback and will ensure it reaches our Leadership Team.

Thank you for shopping with the Kroger Family of Stores.

Sincerely,

Jenna
    Kroger Customer Connect
    The Kroger Family of Stores
    ===
    Last edited by wittmeba; 08-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.

I got the same email response from my email - except mine was from David, not Jenna.

Quote Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
    I received the same text in an email response as color of law posted. I know it is a "canned" response but so are many of our letters to stores and politicians:

===
    Dear Bruce:

Thank you for contacting Kroger Customer Connect regarding our firearms policy. The safety of our customers and associates is one of our most important company values. Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun. That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping. We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores.

Sincerely,

Jenna
    Kroger Customer Connect
    ===

Quote Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post

===
    Dear Bruce:

Sincerely,

Jenna
    Kroger Customer Connect
    ===
    I wonder if Jenna even knows what she sent. She may very likely be nothing more than a sender of a e-mail as directed. Auto-signature, my work e-mail does the same thing.

Do you find anything wrong with the response from Jenna et al? The anti-citizen, anti-liberty stores use similar language. What they should be stating and we should be pointing this out in our letters to them, is that: The safety of our customers, except the gun toting customers, and associates is one of our most important company values.

This is a more accurate portrait of their anti-citizen, anti-liberty policy.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Fred Meyer

Fred Meyer is Kroger and guns/ammo are now sold at Fred Meyer in Washington.

I do not believe that the MDA will gain traction.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Not meaning to sidetrack this thread but it reminds me of some of the replies received from Politicians. When asked to send a letter to a Politician by clicking a link from NRA or VCDL it seems to me they are never making it to the specific individual intended. Sometimes it is difficult to relate the reply to your original message submitted.

Not only did I send a letter to Kroger suggesting they simply avoid the entire political bully tactics of MDA by just having a policy of following the laws of the State where their individual stores are located.... I also sent them a letter thanking them for taking the stance of continuing their policy of following the laws of the State where their individual stores are located.

I think sending the thank you letter was equally, if not more, as important as sending the letter addressing the MDA bully tactics because if we don't let businesses know with letters that we appreciate when they refuse to let folks with an agenda run their businesses then those businesses don't know their decisions are appreciated.

Please consider that heads of corporate or even Mom or Pop ALWAYS!!! get complaint letters yet the letters of praise are so very few and far between. However... one letter of praise is remembered far longer than 1000 letters of complaint.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.