Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guilty cop's 20 mo sentence too lienent - so say court

Banned

Guilty cop's 20 mo sentence too lienent - so say court

http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/14/08/131145P.pdf

Never seen a case like this one ... typical case facts..cops beats someone, arrests him, lies under oath, yada yada yada

Court says 20 months not enough....

"Oh crap" says ex-cop lol

Timely post. Well done citing the court case only..
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I could only read the first couple pages before getting too angry to read more. Sounds like it was getting worse. Very glad to hear the cop is doing time with other criminals.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

That's quite a bitchslap to the District Court judge. Which, IMHO, he deserves.

Sadly, it seems that it takes egregiousness of this level to get through qualified immunity and have a civil rights conviction handed down.

Based on the defendant's heavy use of his traumatic experiences as a child, I wonder if Bonds and/or Evans will try a respondent superior suit against the department.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Wow...from a minimum of 135 months down to 20?! Yeah, the district judge needed a slap in the face, and publicly so. I applaud this ruling. Especially inasmuch as the two victims will now fear law enforcement officers, probably for the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by jackrockblc; 08-18-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Updated content.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    The judges and prosecutors are part of the rotten barrel.

No surprise though testilying and abuse is an accepted cultural norm in the circles these folks run in.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Good thread, and well timed. Now just have to wait for the apologists.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

If you build it, they will come.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

He's super busy as of late...no worries though...he'll catch up quickly.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I don't understand why the sentence was cut from the so-called minimum of 135 months to 20. Not a single, individual citizen would ever receive such a cut in sentence, but the civilian bureaucrats with guns do?
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/14/08/131145P.pdf

Never seen a case like this one ... typical case facts..cops beats someone, arrests him, lies under oath, yada yada yada

Court says 20 months not enough....

"Oh crap" says ex-cop lol
    Thanks for the link, and for keeping your post relevant to the article.

Read the entire opinion; Definitely made my blood pressure spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
    I don't understand why the sentence was cut from the so-called minimum of 135 months to 20. Not a single, individual citizen would ever receive such a cut in sentence, but the civilian bureaucrats with guns do?
    Some animals are more equal than others.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 08-19-2014 at 01:03 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

The other cop, who beat a restrained citizen also, only gets a obstruction conviction?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

"knowingly falsifying a police report with the intent to obstruct justice, in violation of 18 U.S.C. §§ 2 and 1519"

This is relevant to my interests.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    the two victims will now fear law enforcement officers, probably for the rest of their lives.
    As should we all.

Dautovic

Mailander
    Last edited by Yard Sale; 08-19-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yard sale View Post
    "knowingly falsifying a police report with the intent to obstruct justice, in violation of 18 u.s.c. §§ 2 and 1519"

this is relevant to my interests.

As should we all.

dautovic

mailander
    cops or russian mobsters?
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Banned
    Telling the truth about police officers on this website is considered cop bashing, and is a violation of rule # 15.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    Telling the truth about police officers on this website is considered cop bashing, and is a violation of rule # 15.
    No, but equating the actions of one to the body whole is the problem!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    No, but equating the actions of one to the body whole is the problem!
    Not until the body whole gets its **** together.

A 20 mo. sentence. You gotta be kidding me! Lower court judges are downright corrupt when it comes to their treatment of LEOs.

The barrel remains rotten, even if we can see one or two healthy stragglers peeking out from the hole left by this scumbag.

If the barrel is rotten the good ones are irrelevant. I'm sure you guys saw that lady talking about how this applies to the middle east problem.

A rotten barrel (the department) will spoil the apples (rank and file cops).

This is why you "cop shop bash," not cop bash. Beat cops can change their department...well, in theory anyway.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The other cop, who beat a restrained citizen also, only gets a obstruction conviction?
    He pled guilty. Right, wrong or indifferent he knew if he fought the charges he would loose which would result in an unacceptable outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Not until the body whole gets its **** together.

A 20 mo. sentence. You gotta be kidding me! Lower court judges are downright corrupt when it comes to their treatment of LEOs.

The barrel remains rotten, even if we can see one or two healthy stragglers peeking out from the hole left by this scumbag.
    I've been in court watching the daily revenue gathering process and hear judges say, on a regular basis, that they always believe the cop. And the defence attorneys don't even object.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    I've been in court watching the daily revenue gathering process and hear judges say, on a regular basis, that they always believe the cop. And the defence attorneys don't even object.
    Cops are officers of the court and deemed - presumed - trustworthy and honest by their fellow officers of the court. Either we are equal or we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Cops are officers of the court and deemed - presumed - trustworthy and honest by their fellow officers of the court. Either we are equal or we are not.
    So, that is the definition of impartial. I understand now....

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    So, that is the definition of impartial. I understand now.
    Where did you find mention of impartial, please?

Have you ever enjoyed an adversarial relation with a court? You could not have to still consider impartiality.

Obama's coming off vacation?
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast