• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could this be the beginning of the end for gun-free zones?

Arma1911

A judge in Colorado ruled that lawsuits by several families of the victims of the Colorado cinema massacre in 2012 may go to trial. The cinema company tried to get the lawsuits dismissed.

I am not a lawyer, but if a jury decides that the cinema is liable, I would image that either a) other gun-free zones would think twice about banning firearms, or b) they would choose to provide security.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/judge-allows-lawsuits-against-cinema-owner-in-colorado-massacre

davidmcbeth

Banned
First off, I don't think that this judge's decision will stand ... the argument was not that people were not able to defend themselves- which I think would have had merit. But the argument was that they could have foreseen the shooting.

I thought of the same thing .. but alas, no, I don't think it will have any real effect as you (and I) desire.

Now if another person makes a claim that their policy did not allow them to defend themselves (and wins) then businesses would have to weigh their anti-leanings against needing to hire security and the associated costs involved with that.

I could be wrong .... businesses might put in metal detectors or other intrusive measures as well as a condition for entry.