Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Permanent Record: How Arrests Stick With Tens of Millions of Americans WSJ Today

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    Permanent Record: How Arrests Stick With Tens of Millions of Americans WSJ Today

    The federal government is holding the records of 77.7 million people in its master criminal records file. That is one record for about every three U.S. adults. Our page one story today looks at the often lifelong consequences of these arrest records, even for minor offenses or for charges that were thrown out. Here is a rundown.

    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/0...-of-americans/

    As Arrest Records Rise, Americans Find Consequences Can Last a Lifetime
    Even if Charges Were Dropped, a Lingering Arrest Record Can Ruin Chances of a Job [or a paycheck, k?]

    At the same time, an information explosion has made it easy for anyone to pull up arrest records in an instant. Employers, banks, college admissions officers and landlords, among others, routinely check records online. The information doesn't typically describe what happened next.

    Many people who have never faced charges, or have had charges dropped, find that a lingering arrest record can ruin their chance to secure employment, loans and housing. Even in cases of a mistaken arrest, the damaging documents aren't automatically removed. In other instances, arrest information is forwarded to the FBI but not necessarily updated there when a case is thrown out locally. Only half of the records with the FBI have fully up-to-date information.

    http://online.wsj.com/articles/as-ar...ime-1408415402
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Custodian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Capital City of Oaks - Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    293

    Well...damn.

    As a man, who was falsely arrested, for a crime I did not commit (no, this is not the opening to the A-Team, no matter how awesome that'd be), I wonder how my record looks with even the criminal charges being dropped in the 'Interest of Justice' as well as the civil charges being dropped 'With Prejudice'.

    Dang this sucks. Also, my mugshot is still on the county website, a grim reminder of my stay.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

    Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

  3. #3
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The federal government is holding the records of 77.7 million people in its master criminal records file. That is one record for about every three U.S. adults. Our page one story today looks at the often lifelong consequences of these arrest records, even for minor offenses or for charges that were thrown out. Here is a rundown.



    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/0...-of-americans/



    As Arrest Records Rise, Americans Find Consequences Can Last a Lifetime

    Even if Charges Were Dropped, a Lingering Arrest Record Can Ruin Chances of a Job [or a paycheck, k?]



    At the same time, an information explosion has made it easy for anyone to pull up arrest records in an instant. Employers, banks, college admissions officers and landlords, among others, routinely check records online. The information doesn't typically describe what happened next.



    Many people who have never faced charges, or have had charges dropped, find that a lingering arrest record can ruin their chance to secure employment, loans and housing. Even in cases of a mistaken arrest, the damaging documents aren't automatically removed. In other instances, arrest information is forwarded to the FBI but not necessarily updated there when a case is thrown out locally. Only half of the records with the FBI have fully up-to-date information.



    http://online.wsj.com/articles/as-ar...ime-1408415402

    Wow. Quite the reach for Massa Doug. Don't you obsess over my "record?" By the way, for those interested, I'm 8-4. 6 dropped, 2 not guilty.

    They hate it when you win.

  4. #4
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
    As a man, who was falsely arrested, for a crime I did not commit (no, this is not the opening to the A-Team, no matter how awesome that'd be), I wonder how my record looks with even the criminal charges being dropped in the 'Interest of Justice' as well as the civil charges being dropped 'With Prejudice'.





    Dang this sucks. Also, my mugshot is still on the county website, a grim reminder of my stay.


    Expect unreasonable searches as an end result. Expect guns drawn for walking home through a nice neighborhood at night. Expect to sit in your car for 25 minutes for a traffic ticket while the cop searches and searches for a reason to arrest you.



    No warrant? Dammit, he must have one somewhere!!!



    I deal with it every time I get stopped. Some people, like the OP, find it incredulous that people can be innocent or change their ways. It makes them stomp their feet and act like the selfish child they are.



    Or maybe the OP is pissed because I point out that he stalks people and has a criminal record for doing so.
    Last edited by wimwag; 08-19-2014 at 11:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    File charges against the court clerk. File charges against the cop secretary. File charges against the top cop. In Mo there are statutes that can be applied to the criminal acts of not doing their job. All monior misdemeanors but a arrest could still be made. If the charges are dropped , I'll guarantee that their arrest record would disappear as should have ours.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    [ ... ]Or maybe the OP is pissed because I point out that he stalks people and has a criminal record for doing so.
    LOL I'm so evil.

    Last time it was for violation of a restraining order, now "stalking." Bwahaha! Stalking is a felony Wisc Stats 940.32

    Enough with the baseless allegations, put up or shut up.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-20-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    I thought this interesting, on defamation.

    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    [ ... ]Or maybe the OP is pissed because I point out that he stalks people and has a criminal record for doing so.
    Wisc. Stats 942.01  Defamation.
    (1) Whoever with intent to defame communicates any defamatory matter to a 3rd person without the consent of the person defamed is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (2) Defamatory matter is anything which exposes the other to hatred, contempt, ridicule, degradation or disgrace in society or injury in the other's business or occupation.
    (3) This section does not apply if the defamatory matter was true and was communicated with good motives and for justifiable ends or if the communication was otherwise privileged.
    (4) No person shall be convicted on the basis of an oral communication of defamatory matter except upon the testimony of 2 other persons that they heard and understood the oral statement as defamatory or upon a plea of guilty or no contest.
    History: 1977 c. 173; 1979 c. 110 s. 60 (6); 1993 a. 486; 2005 a. 253.

    The defense of conditional privilege applies to criminal defamation, but the defense is not absolute and may be forfeited if abused. State v. Gilles, 173 Wis. 2d 101, 496 N.W.2d 133 (Ct. App. 1992).
    Perjury committed in a judicial proceeding is absolutely privileged under sub. (3). The sanction for perjury is under the perjury statute, s. 946.31, and not under the defamation statute. State v. Cardenas-Hernandez, 219 Wis. 2d 516, 579 N.W.2d 678 (1998), 96-3605.

    942.03  Giving false information for publication. Whoever, with intent that it be published and that it injure any person, and with knowledge that it is false, communicates to a newspaper, magazine, or other publication any false statement concerning any person or any false and unauthorized advertisement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    History: 1977 c. 173.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I'm not inclined to advertise my run-ins with the law regardless of the ultimate outcome.

    YMMV
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  9. #9
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    I already have put up Doug. You stalk people online and you violate a restraining order placed in protection of your ex wife. No defamation here.

    Didn't you go crying to the mods when I pointed out that we've met and my relatives know yours? Yup.
    Quit being a bitch.

  10. #10
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Remember when you told me that someone ripping a campaign sticker off my bumper was a federal offense?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Up until computers became common it took time and personal knowledge to track down a persons records.

    Then when finger prints were only taken for major crimes knowing who's records you were looking at was some time suspect.

    Now days just a few clicks of a mouse one can find all kinds of info.

    And it there on the net for ever.

    Not a good thing for most people.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    [ ... ]Not a good thing for most people.
    I believe that is why faux anonymity is so important to some.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    HS student arrested. "I regret it because they put it on my record, but I don't see

    "I regret it because they put it on my record, but I don't see the harm in it," Stone said."I think there might have been a better way of putting it, but I think me writing like that, it shouldn't matter unless I put it out towards a person."

    According to police, when Stone was asked by school officials about the comment written on the assignment, he said it was a joke. Summerville police officials say Stone was disruptive and was told that he was being detained for disturbing schools. Stone was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. District officials say the student has been suspended.

    http://www.nbc12.com/story/26319685/...ZblaU.facebook
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •