Thread: need help with new gun buy???

need help with new gun buy???

i took my ccdw test the other day, i passed and outshot everyone there with my ruger service six, yes the same service six i at one time thought of trading or selling because of a little rust and a few tiny pits. not anymore as at 7yds double action 20rds tore a hole in the plyboard that my fist would go through. i was the only one there with a revolver, now to my question. i have a safariland 568 for my service six, and will use it till i get another gun, but now it seems i can get another gun in about two months. i want a revolver and a ruger if i can, what do ya'll suggest? the 357 lcr or the 357 sp101? mabe something else? i know it's two months but i like to plan ahead, thanks

I have an SP101 and love it. It's the DAO with the spur-less hammer and the 2 1/4 barrel. It's got enough mass to shoot comfortably with all but the heaviest loads. It's just the right size for me as a smaller carry. I shoot pretty tight groups with it too.

On the other hand, the LCR is very light and compact. It's easy to to carry and hide if you choose to CC. It's really a bit light for .357 loads but I don't think that'll matter much in a survival situation. Even with .38spl it's a little stiff to shoot, on par with a S&W airlight J-frame.

For their intended use, both are excellent choices. One thing you have going for you if you stay with Ruger is that their DA revolvers all work the same so there's less to learn when switching between them.

I really like Ruger revolvers and feel only Colts are superior. (I said FEEL all you flamers.) S&W makes excellent revolvers but feel and operate drastically different. I would recommend you go to a range that rents out fire arms and try out an LCR, an SP101, an airlight J-frame, a steel J-frame, and a K-frame.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    If it's a revolver you want, and a Ruger at that, I'd go with the GP100 in either the 3 or 4.2 inch barrel and most likely in stainless. This is a very versatile gun and was built on the excellent Security Six design from over 30 years ago. Plus you get six rounds instead of five with the SP101.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 08-20-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Love my 3" GP100... awesome gun. Its not that easy to conceal though its kind of large...

I like my Rhino much more for concealed. Six shots around the size of a j-frame and rather easy to conceal. Draw backs..? Chiappa has quality control issues. I have 2 Rhino's, and both had minor issues brand new... but Chiappa was great in getting 1 fixed, and I was able to fix the other. They feel more like a semi-auto when shooting, and very easy to keep on target, i really love them... but they are also quite expensive.

Hope the OP doesn't mind if I borrow this thread a bit, seeing as I'm in a similar situation:

Want a revolver for discreet carry as my BUG while the 1911 is OC (that way I can also have that super tactical surprise advantage the CC-only types rave about).

I would prefer a Ruger, and think .357 would give more ammo versatility. The candidates are the SP101 and the GP100.
    In regards to the latter, is it a viable option for someone who would describe himself as "medium-framed"? Anyone else carry either as a BUG while OCing something else?
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 08-20-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    If it's a revolver you want, and a Ruger at that, I'd go with the GP100 in either the 3 or 4.2 inch barrel and most likely in stainless. This is a very versatile gun and was built on the excellent Security Six design from over 30 years ago. Plus you get six rounds instead of five with the SP101.
    i already have a service six 4 inch, and holster to conceal it. i now want a smaller gun to use according to the clothes i wear. thanks

I have both a GP100 and an SP101. The GP100 is a bit big for concealed carry and significantly heavier. It's really Ruger's version of the Colt Python. The SP101 is much more suitable to concealed carry and I use it both as a BUG and a concealed only carry. All but the smallest people should be able to conceal it easily.

Even though the SP101 is smaller and lighter, it is still a heavy framed revolver. You will have to account for that fact when you carry.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I have both a GP100 and an SP101. The GP100 is a bit big for concealed carry and significantly heavier. It's really Ruger's version of the Colt Python. The SP101 is much more suitable to concealed carry and I use it both as a BUG and a concealed only carry. All but the smallest people should be able to conceal it easily.

Even though the SP101 is smaller and lighter, it is still a heavy framed revolver. You will have to account for that fact when you carry.
    Thanks for the input; hope boomer92266 didn't mind me borrowing the thread a little.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Thanks for the input; hope boomer92266 didn't mind me borrowing the thread a little.
    don't mind at all, are there any other reliable guns in the $0-$500 range that would be good for conceal carry? i can not go over $500 that's all i will have when it comes in. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    don't mind at all, are there any other reliable guns in the $0-$500 range that would be good for conceal carry? i can not go over $500 that's all i will have when it comes in. thanks
    I've been looking at the Walther PPK/S and the Makarov pistol (if I decide to get a semi-auto BUG); they are very similar in design (some would say "suspiciously" so), but tend to be rugged, overly-built, and reliable. I've found the Walther in the $430-470 range more than a few times, and the Makarov may be found in the .380 ACP if the 9x18 Makarov doesn't convince you.

I skipped over the Bersa Thunder (also a PPK/Makarov clone?) because of its magazine disconnect (won't fire unless magazine is inserted) as well as the Ruger LCP (I still don't trust polymers very much), but both can be had in the $340-380 range new, and both are chambered in .380 ACP.

Hope this helps.

Add.:

In the $0-150 range, you might be able to pick up a Hi-Point from someone who doesn't realize how reliable/rugged the design itself is. The execution may be rough, but nothing a little TLC (Tender Love and Care) can't fix. Also, the design lends itself to inherent accuracy. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 08-24-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Addendum

Walking wolf has a hi-point in 380 & says it's a keeper. I have several in larger calibers and they are all damn functional guns. If you want a decent bug rusty might also check out Kahr's line up - the cw9 & cw40 can be had for under $300 new as of today's date. As with all semi autos they can be ammo picky, but I can save you some time and money there. Bonus they come in stainless at no extra charge
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

spam post reported

only 1 this time?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Well one should be enough
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Delete it man!

many many years ago i purchased a sw 340pd j frame 38/357 and absolutely love it...have a custom built leather holster with thumb strap and it goes everywhere with me as it slips into the back pocket quite nicely or my attache or under the arm rest of my truck....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    Rusty listed several semiauto choices,to add to his list check out the CZ-82 and CZ-83.Kind of Makarov-ish pistols,.380 and 9mm Mak cals.IIRC they have 12 round mags,DA/SA action with cock and lock safety.I keep seeing them used at the gun shows for about $300.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    spam post reported

only 1 this time?

stay safe.
    ???
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ???
    Check the date - back during the Great Spambot Attack of October '14.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

stay safe.
    We lost so many good young men...

NEVER FORGET
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

stay safe.
    Ah soo. Those were the days.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.