• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop with AR in ferguson threatens to kill

OC for ME

The Truth

Officer has been removed from the field.

http://www.thewire.com/national/201...ll-ferguson-protesters-taken-off-duty/378877/

Further proof that Police need to be on camera at all times, and that the movement to film Police and document injustice is doing its job. Once they are all required to wear a camera either all of this will stop or cops will start getting a lot more paid vacations I mean suspensions/terminations, and after a few years, maybe the whole dynamic will change. This is a long time coming.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Officer has been removed from the field.

http://www.thewire.com/national/201...ll-ferguson-protesters-taken-off-duty/378877/

Further proof that Police need to be on camera at all times, and that the movement to film Police and document injustice is doing its job. Once they are all required to wear a camera either all of this will stop or cops will start getting a lot more paid vacations I mean suspensions/terminations, and after a few years, maybe the whole dynamic will change. This is a long time coming.

Should be removed from the job ... there are zillions of idiots who want to be cops

OC for ME

Don't stop beating that drum until it's mandatory nationwide. For every interaction.
+10

Got "consensually encountered" by one of my local cop shops finest and he wanted to know why I was OCing in my little town...blah blah blah. I know this officer, he know me and why I OC, he would not have been so "engaging" if it were not for the dash camera and the camera mounted to his left collar. He is a nice fella out of uniform, much more "sedate" after they were issued cameras when in uniform.

The Truth

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it gives me a boost of confidence when police wearing cameras is starting to become a real mainstream issue that's being talked about - especially when activism was the catalyst to this officer's accountability.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it gives me a boost of confidence when police wearing cameras is starting to become a real mainstream issue that's being talked about - especially when activism was the catalyst to this officer's accountability.

No, I was thinking something similar. I've been tooting that horn for years on this forum (and elsewhere). I recall that my position was fairly contentious, several years back. But now, folks only seem to disagree with me over how sharp the "teeth" (penalties for noncompliance) should be, myself advocating for a default assumption of civil liability for any and all harm/damage caused on the part of willfully noncompliant officers (which is admittedly harsh, that being quite called-for, IMO).

Last edited:

OC for ME

Claimed budgetary constraints aside, what cop would not desire to have his own video evidence. The cop who arrested a detective supplied his own GoPro camera because he knew that the truth would set him free.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Claimed budgetary constraints aside, what cop would not desire to have his own video evidence. The cop who arrested a detective supplied his own GoPro camera because he knew that the truth would set him free.

Rhetorical question I know, but the answer is, of course, a criminal cop. See above.

Unlike within our bedrooms, there is nothing within the legitimate purview of a cop (while on duty) which he should fear being exposed to the light of day.

Also, that story gives an example why I feel we should, having made recording mandatory, feel free to assume (at the very least) the existence of civil liability for any harm caused by any officer who "forgets to turn the camera on" or, god forbid, turns a functioning camera off.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
This is exactly why police officers should NOT have any access to their recorded footage or power/on-off functions. The IT staff (should be non police) should be liable for any abetting of badged felons.

Marshaul - is correct in wanting harsh penalties..without "very sharp teeth" the body cams lose their deterrent effect.

Taking the control out of their hands (at least so far as is possible) isn't a bad idea.

And you're absolutely correct; if a cop intends to commit murder (and thus risk life in prison), a slap on the wrist won't serve as an additional deterrent. Police need to know they will be held to blame if they fail to provide footage of their actions. The natural way to do that, and to make the punishment concomitant to the offense, is to simply assign civil liability for any harm caused by the officer without such footage.

You can bet that, real quick, two things would start happening:

1. Police abuse would plummet

2. Good cops would start recording in triplicate

Both of these are desirable.

Maverick9

Police don't want to control riots. They want to be seen at the scene of riots, looking tough. If there's no riot, then they threw away an opportunity for some free self-justification (this being the real job of all bureaucrats the world over).

The Oakland PD probably have a handbook on this, somewhere.

Wow you are too dammed (sic) smart AND funny. I thought only I was that insightful and humorous. Thanks for the laugh...and sadly for the real truth.

OC for ME

St. Ann cop. St. Ann PD website is down.

http://www.stannmo.org/131/Police-Department

That cop will be named. The cop should be charged and then prosecuted. The cite I provided above is a Class B felony. Toss in the armed criminal action RSMo 571.015. "First offense" :rolleyes:, mandatory three years in prison, no early outs or suspended sentence.

Also, he certainly resides squarely in the 80% of cops are fat demographic.

OC for ME

‘The unified command strongly feel these actions are inappropriate, and not indicative of the officers who have worked daily, to keep the peace.'
Yeah, cuz he was the only cop pointing a sport rifle at unarmed "peaceful" protesters since this gig started.

MontanaResident

Hillarious commentary at the end. The scared cop should seek another type of employment, like landscaping or floral arrangement. :lol:

Fallschirjmäger

Speaking of which, the news is reporting "... Ferguson Officer suspended for pointing semi-automatic assault rifle ....".
1) Any bets that it would be reported as a machine gun or an assault rifle if one of us lower class plebeians had said rifle in hand?
2) Any bets that it wasn't a 'semi-automatic' anything but instead a fully automatic Colt m4?

http://gjallarhornallewerk.tumblr.com/post/95345644837/cerebralzero-lunostar-when-cops-misuse-their