• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Has Open Carry Brought on the Wild West in Mississippi and Elsewhere?"

Repeater

Very nice op-ed from The Bull Elephant. Anyone know Greg Stone?

Has Open Carry Brought on the Wild West in Mississippi and Elsewhere?
Having been at this gun rights thing for awhile, I have seen and heard the cries of the coming "Wild West" in those States that have expanded the rights of gun owners.

In the mid 90′s it was Virgina’s turn. We implemented a Shall Issue law and the critics proclaimed the Commonwealth to be the next Dodge City with gun fights breaking out everywhere. When we expanded gun rights into those establishments that served alcohol every restaurant and pub in the state was going to be the Saloon in Dodge City. It never happened, Shall Issue and the expansion of gun rights again provided for a downturn in crime and a safer Virginia.

So now, it is Mississippi’s turn to be that place where the "Wild West" is rejected yet again. It seems the only place the "Wild West" is welcome is in the cities of Chicago, Baltimore or Detroit. All that is required for the "Wild West" to actually find a home is Draconian Gun Control laws.

More on Mississippi here.

The Mississippi Op-Ed is about the "horrors" of Open-Carry there ... except nothing happened:
About this time last year, there was furor about state House Bill 2, the "open carry" bill.

HB 2 allows someone to openly carry a firearm. It caused an uproar, and litigation to block it, even though the state constitution already had given Mississippians such a right since 1890.

In late August last year, with opponents warning it would bring "chaos" and "the wild West" and with no-guns-allowed signs popping up everywhere, the state Supreme Court upheld the law.

Since then, I've noticed … nothing. I've seen two people who I suspected were just citizens and not law enforcement wearing holstered pistols. Neither caused an uproar, and neither of their pistols jumped out of their holsters and committed a crime.

Conclusion: Open-Carry is cool, wherever it's not illegal.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It always amazes me how the hysterical anti-gun blood-dancers never have anything to say after such laws are passed and the record show no horses fainted, no women stampeded, and for some unknown reason the streets failed to run red with the blood of innocent victims.

The disappointment must be crushing to be able to silence them like that.

stay safe.

Maverick9

Skidmark should write copy for movie promos.

"The Wild Wild West, part deux" - you'll see women stampeding, horses throwing their skirts over their heads in panic. Come one, come all

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skidmark should write copy for movie promos.

"The Wild Wild West, part deux" - you'll see women stampeding, horses throwing their skirts over their heads in panic. Come one, come all

Thank you.

But you left out the blood running in the streets (washing little children into the storm drains). :shocker:

I've been using that description for years - it never fails to get the attention of folks who hear it mostly because they are trying to figure out if it was I who "misspoke" or they who "misheard". It's an old propagandist trick - try it some time.

stay safe.

Repeater

Thank you.

But you left out the blood running in the streets (washing little children into the storm drains). :shocker:

I've been using that description for years - it never fails to get the attention of folks who hear it mostly because they are trying to figure out if it was I who "misspoke" or they who "misheard". It's an old propagandist trick - try it some time.

stay safe.

Yeah. Speaking of the Wild West, did you know words really can hurt you?

Jessie?