• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOI Hearing Scheduled for September 8th at 11:00 am

Edward Peruta

Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 5:42 AM
To: DESPP Bradford, Reuben; DESPP Plourde, Christine; AttorneyAinsworth, Janet
Cc: 'rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'm.lake@rachelbairdlaw.com'; PattyTartaglino (ptartaglino@rachelbairdlaw.com); 'file@rachelbairdlaw.com';'records@rachelbaridlaw.com'
Subject: Freedom of information request for prompt access to publicrecords

CommissionerBradford,

This request ismade on December 30th 2013to provide your department the time necessary to prepare the requested information and have it available for access by the undersigned on the first business day following the assault weapon deadline of December 31, 2013.

I would expect that your department will not be open for business on January 1, 2014, and request that the information be made available prior to 4:30 pm on January 2,2014.

This request is made to approximate the number of illegally possessed assault weapons and possible felons that may exist in the Stateof Connecticut on January 1, 2014.

I authorizeAttorney Rachel M. Baird to act in my behalf.

The undersignedrequests prompt access to:

All internal hardcopyor email communications, directives or policies which address DESPP's plans to identify UNREGISTERED assault weapons after January 1, 2014

ALL computer stored database information/records maintained on the registration of"ASSAULT WEAPONS" in the state of Connecticut on or before the registration deadline of 11:59pm on December 31, 2013.

All policies and/or documents which set forth the procedures for handling late filed "ASSAULT WEAPONS" registration forms received after the December 31st 2014 deadline.

Any policies and/or procedures to document and record late filed applications received after the December 31st deadline.

Anylist of known "ASSAULT WEAPONS" compiled or used to project the number of expected registrations.

A database list of all firearms known to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection on December 31, 2014 at 11:59pm.

This request includes and is not limited to the following type computer stored records.

1. A list of all declarations of ownership filed on or before January 1, 2014 to obtain Certificates of Possession minus the names and addresses of the individual submitting the declaration.
2. The DATABASE lists of ALL known "ASSAULT WEAPONS" currently known to exist in the State ofConnecticut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward Peruta

FOI Hearing scheduled for September 8th 11:00 am

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:17 AM
To: DESPP Bradford, Reuben; 'Christine.Plourde@ct.gov'; AttorneyAinsworth, Janet; 'rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'm.lake@rachelbairdlaw.com';'Patty A. Tartaglino'; 'file@rachelbairdlaw.com'
Subject: FOI request for updated extracted DESPP database of all currentfirearms in the possession of DESPP that were privately surrendered,confiscated or received by court order to the current date

Commissioner

Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection

Middletown, CT

January 13, 2014

Commissioner,

As the Commissioner of the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, I believe that you are the custodian of DESPP records, and I hereby request that you forward this FOI request to the head of your department's IT unit and any other personnel with instructions to comply with the provisions of state law regarding Freedom of Information requests.

It has been brought to my attention that your Legal Affairs Unit has experienced difficulty in obtaining timely computer database extracts in responseto FOI requests. I am requesting that you exercise your administrative authority and control to assure that your IT department complies with the provisions of state law regarding FOI requests.

Prompt access to the following public records in database format is requested at this time, and will be requested in the future on a monthly basis in the first week of each month.

It is requested that this information be available for prompt access during the first week of each month. This request is an attempt to provide your department with the opportunity to schedule the export of the requested public information/records.

The undersigned is aware of certain exemptions regarding the "Names and Addresses" contained in some of these requests and understands the need to redact certain information prior to providing access or exporting computer stored information. It is our belief that the current computer software should be able to sort and export non-exempt information as part of its functions.

The undersigned is also aware that there are also costs associated with the transfer of these records to digital mediums like Compact Discs or DVDs. When applicable, email of the records is requested to save all parties time,efforts and costs. When discs are required, data should be consolidated onto the fewest number of discs possible. Any costs for these discs may then be invoiced to American News and Information Service Inc. c/o Attorney Rachel M.Baird .

1. Complete, extracted DESPP database of all current firearms in the possession of DESPP that were privately surrendered, confiscated or received by court order to the current date.

* The undersigned understands that these requests will be redacted according to state statutes regarding disclosures of names and addresses and disclosures about ‘certain individuals’.

Respectfully Submitted,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
8 Church Street
Torrington, CT 06790

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have audio of a case involving DESPP of a hearing in which DESPP legal dept. employee stated that 20-30 requests a year is not harassing them ...

So it would be good to have in case they start claiming you are harassing them...shoot me a PM if you want further information..I would have to look up the case (date, case #) .. you could then ask for the audio transcript of that testimony.

Still not even gotten the records I assume ... typical DESPP. Yet the FIC allows them to continue w/o civil penalties ... and the SA will do nothing criminally under 1-240(b) even with persons who violate specific orders of the FIC.

The FOI Act appeal process in this state is dead IMO ... law needs to be switched to a CA-like process.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ed may wish to listen to the FIC reg. meeting hearing of 27 AUG 14 ... wherein, upon the "roll call" of the cases, C. Murphy did note that requiring requests to go through a legal dept. as a matter of policy may constitute a promptness violation. The case 2013-690 was the case discussed and changes were made to the proposed decision.

Of course, DESPP requires that all requests go through their legal dept. as well.

I have had requests where the custodian of the records sent me an email saying that he collected records and provided them to the legal dept. where they sat and sat and sat for almost a year.

Last edited: