Thread: How would this affect Virginians? Anyone with first hand experience.

How would this affect Virginians? Anyone with first hand experience.

Gun discharges at amusement park.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...-family-picnic

We have all talked about Fairs, but I don't recall much discussion on amusement parks.

Most likely the guy will be trespassed from the amusement park - fancy legalese for banned.

It's up to the pollice and prosecutor to determine what, if any, criminal charges will be filed.

Both moms are going to find lawyers and sue the heck out of the guy. That may happen before or after a decision is made on criminal charges. The guy will, if his lawyer is smart, work out a settlement.

[major rant ]It clearly states the guy pulled the trigger. Therefore the gun did not "go off"! It was fired. Even if the guy did not intend to fire it, he did fire it. He even said so!

How long has it been that handguns have been manufactured with some sort of drop safety mechanism?

And how many more times do we have to remind folks that if their gun falls, do not try to catch it before it hits the ground? Better some serious scratches than, like this guy, getting your finger inside the trigger guard. When we catch something the physical act involves closing the hand. If your finger is inside the trigger guard when you close your hand there is a high probability you will be pulling on the trigger, which will cause the gun to go bang.[ /major rant]

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Pardon me while I climb up on my soapbox......

If you choose to carry a handgun, use a propper holster! If you use pocket carry, use a pocket holster and NOTHING else goes in that pocket! Digging for anything in the same pocket as a handgun is incredibly STUPID! If the business has a posted policy, follow it or go elsewhere.

I am done now. I yeild the remainder of my soapbox to the next presenter.
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 08-21-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Banned
    Was he at one of those shooting games that have their guns rigged?

Unless he injured someone I would say not guilty.

If he did, I would still find him not guilty - until gun laws are repealed.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member
    What an idjit. Then again this goes to show the uselessness of signs and policies, and for that matter even laws (Ohio law specifically prohibits carrying past a "no-guns" sign, but charges it as a trespass). If the guy hadn't been stupid enough to discharge the gun, no one would have known he had it. Sadly, the park operator seems to think this is the only person that's ever carried though.

In Virginia the guy could be charged under the law written to make violation of amusement park rules, a criminal violation. (Citation coming.)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    What an idjit. Then again this goes to show the uselessness of signs and policies, and for that matter even laws (Ohio law specifically prohibits carrying past a "no-guns" sign, but charges it as a trespass). If the guy hadn't been stupid enough to discharge the gun, no one would have known he had it. Sadly, the park operator seems to think this is the only person that's ever carried though.

In Virginia the guy could be charged under the law written to make violation of amusement park rules, a criminal violation. (Citation coming.)
    Waiting for that cite. Can't recall ever seeing such.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    This is the topic in the code that I was thinking of, but it appears it is more geared to those who are riding the amusement device following the posted rules, not just those within an amusement park. The penalty is the issuance of a civil penalty carrying a maximum of a $500 fine only.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...45000000000000

It was discussed a while back by User in this forum, that's the only reason I was even aware of it.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1620483

I knew I'd seen the postings at amusement parks, but could not recall the details. Some times the old memory is not what it should be.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 08-25-2014 at 09:57 AM.

I need a better monitor with bigger fonts.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.