• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How would this affect Virginians? Anyone with first hand experience.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most likely the guy will be trespassed from the amusement park - fancy legalese for banned.

It's up to the pollice and prosecutor to determine what, if any, criminal charges will be filed.

Both moms are going to find lawyers and sue the heck out of the guy. That may happen before or after a decision is made on criminal charges. The guy will, if his lawyer is smart, work out a settlement.

[major rant :cuss::banghead::cuss:]It clearly states the guy pulled the trigger. Therefore the gun did not "go off"! It was fired. Even if the guy did not intend to fire it, he did fire it. He even said so!

How long has it been that handguns have been manufactured with some sort of drop safety mechanism?

And how many more times do we have to remind folks that if their gun falls, do not try to catch it before it hits the ground? Better some serious scratches than, like this guy, getting your finger inside the trigger guard. When we catch something the physical act involves closing the hand. If your finger is inside the trigger guard when you close your hand there is a high probability you will be pulling on the trigger, which will cause the gun to go bang.[:cuss::banghead::cuss: /major rant]

stay safe.

The Wolfhound

Pardon me while I climb up on my soapbox......

If you choose to carry a handgun, use a propper holster! If you use pocket carry, use a pocket holster and NOTHING else goes in that pocket! Digging for anything in the same pocket as a handgun is incredibly STUPID!:shocker: If the business has a posted policy, follow it or go elsewhere. :banghead:

I am done now. I yeild the remainder of my soapbox to the next presenter.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Was he at one of those shooting games that have their guns rigged?

Unless he injured someone I would say not guilty.

If he did, I would still find him not guilty - until gun laws are repealed.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
What an idjit. Then again this goes to show the uselessness of signs and policies, and for that matter even laws (Ohio law specifically prohibits carrying past a "no-guns" sign, but charges it as a trespass). If the guy hadn't been stupid enough to discharge the gun, no one would have known he had it. Sadly, the park operator seems to think this is the only person that's ever carried though.

In Virginia the guy could be charged under the law written to make violation of amusement park rules, a criminal violation. (Citation coming.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What an idjit. Then again this goes to show the uselessness of signs and policies, and for that matter even laws (Ohio law specifically prohibits carrying past a "no-guns" sign, but charges it as a trespass). If the guy hadn't been stupid enough to discharge the gun, no one would have known he had it. Sadly, the park operator seems to think this is the only person that's ever carried though.

In Virginia the guy could be charged under the law written to make violation of amusement park rules, a criminal violation. (Citation coming.)
Waiting for that cite. Can't recall ever seeing such.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This is the topic in the code that I was thinking of, but it appears it is more geared to those who are riding the amusement device following the posted rules, not just those within an amusement park. The penalty is the issuance of a civil penalty carrying a maximum of a $500 fine only.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC59010000045000000000000

It was discussed a while back by User in this forum, that's the only reason I was even aware of it.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...amsburg-area&p=1620483&viewfull=1#post1620483

I knew I'd seen the postings at amusement parks, but could not recall the details. Some times the old memory is not what it should be. :)

Last edited: