Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: First post | First OC

  1. #1
    Regular Member GrimeTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10

    First post | First OC

    Howdy! First time in the site and wanted to say hello from Ohio.

    Last night I went for a walk as I often do concealed, and for no particular reason, decided to carry open. Put on the OWB holster and off I went. I have to admit that it felt strange... much stranger than the first time I carried concealed. But I certainly liked that I had better access to my firearm while holding a flashlight... no cover garment to move first with both hands.

    Anyhow, hello! Looking forward to looking around the site and reading the stories.
    sent from my Lumia Icon Windows Phone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimeTime View Post
    Howdy! First time in the site and wanted to say hello from Ohio.

    Last night I went for a walk as I often do concealed, and for no particular reason, decided to carry open. Put on the OWB holster and off I went. I have to admit that it felt strange... much stranger than the first time I carried concealed. But I certainly liked that I had better access to my firearm while holding a flashlight... no cover garment to move first with both hands.

    Anyhow, hello! Looking forward to looking around the site and reading the stories.
    Welcome! Glad you had an uneventful first OC "experience". But then again, they usually are!

    OC might feel "strange", but then by comparison CC feels "painful". I promise, if you do it enough, you're likely to basically stop CCing. OC is more comfortable, more practical, and once you become accustomed to "standing tall" it's socially fine as well.
    Last edited by marshaul; 08-21-2014 at 02:26 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Welcome! Glad you had an uneventful first OC "experience". But then again, they usually are!

    OC might feel "strange", but then by comparison CC feels "painful". I promise, if you do it enough, you're likely to basically stop CCing. OC is more comfortable, more practical, and once you become accustomed to "standing tall" it's socially fine as well.
    Well yeah...but he won't be able to draw as fast now that he will be OCing.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  4. #4
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Welcome to OCDO and to the world of Open Carry. I've suggested to the moderator that this thread be moved to the Ohio forum. Certain that you'll get more specific information there. You also might want to modify your profile to indicate where in Ohio you are.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Another welcome to OCDO.

    You have been healed - go forth and conceal no more!

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Welcome to OCDO! It can be a fun coaster ride!

    I second Marshall's comment, OC is the more natural method of carry for me. I feel weird the few occasions I CC.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Welcome to OCDO and to the world of Open Carry. I've suggested to the moderator that this thread be moved to the Ohio forum. Certain that you'll get more specific information there. You also might want to modify your profile to indicate where in Ohio you are.
    Moved to the Ohio sub-forum.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    welcome !

    OC is better for getting it out and in action than CCing ... its why its goooood !

    OC/CC both good of course.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimeTime View Post
    I have to admit that it felt strange... much stranger than the first time I carried concealed.
    That strange feeling comes from a self-conscious delusion that everyone is watching you. A few may be; most are not. And the less you think about it, the less people will notice. It's more about how you carry yourself than how you carry your handgun.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,726
    I think Werz might agree that your dress should be along this line.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frito_Bandito.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	11938
    Welcome to OCDO.

  11. #11
    Regular Member independence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    339
    Welcome! I find that OCing is a must for me as I have young children. When I'm carrying a little one in my arms it would be cumbersome at best to draw from concealment. I like knowing that with the little one in my left arm, I can easily draw with my right arm.
    Open means open...

  12. #12
    Regular Member RU serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Welcome! I find that OCing is a must for me as I have young children. When I'm carrying a little one in my arms it would be cumbersome at best to draw from concealment. I like knowing that with the little one in my left arm, I can easily draw with my right arm.
    OC or CC, in a live fire situation, what do you plan on doing with your child, hold them?

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Welcome! I find that OCing is a must for me as I have young children. When I'm carrying a little one in my arms it would be cumbersome at best to draw from concealment. I like knowing that with the little one in my left arm, I can easily draw with my right arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RU serious View Post
    OC or CC, in a live fire situation, what do you plan on doing with your child, hold them?
    Obviously best to avoid, but circumstances will dictate/reduce options.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member independence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Welcome! I find that OCing is a must for me as I have young children. When I'm carrying a little one in my arms it would be cumbersome at best to draw from concealment. I like knowing that with the little one in my left arm, I can easily draw with my right arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RU serious View Post
    OC or CC, in a live fire situation, what do you plan on doing with your child, hold them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Obviously best to avoid, but circumstances will dictate/reduce options.
    I agree with Grapeshot that the best solution is situational awareness. I also agree that in a self defense situation the exact circumstance will dictate. If a threat is immediate and at point blank range, the best I may be able to do is draw and fire, perhaps swinging to the left to shield the child and do the least eardrum damage possible. There are going to be various problems with setting the child down, but I suppose that there may be a situation that would apply to. It will also depend on whether my wife is present, etc.

    Or perhaps you would like the more closed minded ninja reponse: "If I was in the store, as soon as I saw a threat, I would hide the child in some nook or cranny and tell them not to move. Then, I would lower my sunglasses, unholster and use that cool two-handed grip from the movies while clearing each aisle. Once I saw the bad guys, I would triple-tap each with headshots. If there are huge amounts of them and both my primary and backup guns were out of ammo, I'm pull my Rambo knife and start slitting throats and taking names. I'd prolly get shot in the shoulder or something, but before you know it, the local news would be showing me sitting on a gurny holding the child while they patch me up. With, blue and red lights reflecting off our faces, of course." ...Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Last edited by independence; 08-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    Open means open...

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    I agree with Grapeshot that the best solution is situational awareness. I also agree that in a self defense situation the exact circumstance will dictate. If a threat is immediate and at point blank range, the best I may be able to do is draw and fire, perhaps swinging to the left to shield the child and do the least eardrum damage possible. There are going to be various problems with setting the child down, but I suppose that there may be a situation that would apply to. It will also depend on whether my wife is present, etc.

    Or perhaps you would like the more closed minded ninja reponse: "If I was in the store, as soon as I saw a threat, I would hide the child in some nook or cranny and tell them not to move. Then, I would lower my sunglasses, unholster and use that cool two-handed grip from the movies while clearing each aisle. Once I saw the bad guys, I would triple-tap each with headshots. If there huge amounts of them and both my primary and backup guns were out of ammo, I'm pull my Rambo knife and start slitting throats and taking names. I'd prolly get shot in the shoulder or something, but before you know it, the local news would be showing me sitting on a gurny holding the child while they patch me up. With, blue and red lights reflecting off our faces, of course." ...Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Geico45 is that you?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •