• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First post | First OC

GrimeTime

Howdy! First time in the site and wanted to say hello from Ohio.

Last night I went for a walk as I often do concealed, and for no particular reason, decided to carry open. Put on the OWB holster and off I went. I have to admit that it felt strange... much stranger than the first time I carried concealed. But I certainly liked that I had better access to my firearm while holding a flashlight... no cover garment to move first with both hands.

Anyhow, hello! Looking forward to looking around the site and reading the stories.
sent from my Lumia Icon Windows Phone using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Howdy! First time in the site and wanted to say hello from Ohio.

Last night I went for a walk as I often do concealed, and for no particular reason, decided to carry open. Put on the OWB holster and off I went. I have to admit that it felt strange... much stranger than the first time I carried concealed. But I certainly liked that I had better access to my firearm while holding a flashlight... no cover garment to move first with both hands.

Anyhow, hello! Looking forward to looking around the site and reading the stories.

Welcome! Glad you had an uneventful first OC "experience". But then again, they usually are! :banana:

OC might feel "strange", but then by comparison CC feels "painful". I promise, if you do it enough, you're likely to basically stop CCing. OC is more comfortable, more practical, and once you become accustomed to "standing tall" it's socially fine as well.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Welcome! Glad you had an uneventful first OC "experience". But then again, they usually are! :banana:

OC might feel "strange", but then by comparison CC feels "painful". I promise, if you do it enough, you're likely to basically stop CCing. OC is more comfortable, more practical, and once you become accustomed to "standing tall" it's socially fine as well.
Well yeah...but he won't be able to draw as fast now that he will be OCing.;)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Welcome to OCDO and to the world of Open Carry. I've suggested to the moderator that this thread be moved to the Ohio forum. Certain that you'll get more specific information there. You also might want to modify your profile to indicate where in Ohio you are.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO.

You have been healed - go forth and conceal no more!

stay safe.

sudden valley gunner

Welcome to OCDO! It can be a fun coaster ride!

I second Marshall's comment, OC is the more natural method of carry for me. I feel weird the few occasions I CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO and to the world of Open Carry. I've suggested to the moderator that this thread be moved to the Ohio forum. Certain that you'll get more specific information there. You also might want to modify your profile to indicate where in Ohio you are.
Moved to the Ohio sub-forum.

Werz

I have to admit that it felt strange... much stranger than the first time I carried concealed.
That strange feeling comes from a self-conscious delusion that everyone is watching you. A few may be; most are not. And the less you think about it, the less people will notice. It's more about how you carry yourself than how you carry your handgun.

independence

Welcome! I find that OCing is a must for me as I have young children. When I'm carrying a little one in my arms it would be cumbersome at best to draw from concealment. I like knowing that with the little one in my left arm, I can easily draw with my right arm.

RU serious

Welcome! I find that OCing is a must for me as I have young children. When I'm carrying a little one in my arms it would be cumbersome at best to draw from concealment. I like knowing that with the little one in my left arm, I can easily draw with my right arm.

OC or CC, in a live fire situation, what do you plan on doing with your child, hold them?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

OC or CC, in a live fire situation, what do you plan on doing with your child, hold them?
Obviously best to avoid, but circumstances will dictate/reduce options.

independence

Obviously best to avoid, but circumstances will dictate/reduce options.

I agree with Grapeshot that the best solution is situational awareness. I also agree that in a self defense situation the exact circumstance will dictate. If a threat is immediate and at point blank range, the best I may be able to do is draw and fire, perhaps swinging to the left to shield the child and do the least eardrum damage possible. There are going to be various problems with setting the child down, but I suppose that there may be a situation that would apply to. It will also depend on whether my wife is present, etc.

Or perhaps you would like the more closed minded ninja reponse: "If I was in the store, as soon as I saw a threat, I would hide the child in some nook or cranny and tell them not to move. Then, I would lower my sunglasses, unholster and use that cool two-handed grip from the movies while clearing each aisle. Once I saw the bad guys, I would triple-tap each with headshots. If there are huge amounts of them and both my primary and backup guns were out of ammo, I'm pull my Rambo knife and start slitting throats and taking names. I'd prolly get shot in the shoulder or something, but before you know it, the local news would be showing me sitting on a gurny holding the child while they patch me up. With, blue and red lights reflecting off our faces, of course." ...Sorry, couldn't resist...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree with Grapeshot that the best solution is situational awareness. I also agree that in a self defense situation the exact circumstance will dictate. If a threat is immediate and at point blank range, the best I may be able to do is draw and fire, perhaps swinging to the left to shield the child and do the least eardrum damage possible. There are going to be various problems with setting the child down, but I suppose that there may be a situation that would apply to. It will also depend on whether my wife is present, etc.

Or perhaps you would like the more closed minded ninja reponse: "If I was in the store, as soon as I saw a threat, I would hide the child in some nook or cranny and tell them not to move. Then, I would lower my sunglasses, unholster and use that cool two-handed grip from the movies while clearing each aisle. Once I saw the bad guys, I would triple-tap each with headshots. If there huge amounts of them and both my primary and backup guns were out of ammo, I'm pull my Rambo knife and start slitting throats and taking names. I'd prolly get shot in the shoulder or something, but before you know it, the local news would be showing me sitting on a gurny holding the child while they patch me up. With, blue and red lights reflecting off our faces, of course." ...Sorry, couldn't resist...

Geico45 is that you?