• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in San Bernadino National Forest ??

NosePicker

I am going on an off road trip with some friends up near Big Bear in the San Bernadino national forest. Is it legal to open carry a handgun (loaded or unloaded) while we are out on the trails ?

mjones

I am going on an off road trip with some friends up near Big Bear in the San Bernadino national forest. Is it legal to open carry a handgun (loaded or unloaded) while we are out on the trails ?

Loaded carry (open or concealed) is legal withing one's temporary residence or campsite.

Unloaded Open Carry (UOC) is generally only legal in areas where Loaded Open Carry (LOC) is legal (unless you meet one of the other exceptions to anti-UOC laws)

UOC/LOC is generally illegal in incorporated cities and unincorporated areas where discharge is prohibited.

Here's a link to 'recreational shooting map' for San Bernadino County http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=306

I don't know that area as well as I know the Angeles National Forest - but I *think* your essentially SoL in that area.

NosePicker

holy sh*t !! I looked at that map and I cant believe the areas that shooting is banned except for shotguns !!!

that entire area around Lucerne valley is only for shotguns ? I used to shoot around there all the time as a kid. WTF has this state become ?

I need to leave this communist hell hole

mjones

holy sh*t !! I looked at that map and I cant believe the areas that shooting is banned except for shotguns !!!

that entire area around Lucerne valley is only for shotguns ? I used to shoot around there all the time as a kid. WTF has this state become ?

I need to leave this communist hell hole

Ya, oddly enough SB County is actually worse then LA County for shooting areas...