• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Body Armor Ban

since9

Campaign Veteran
= Hi Point

Yeah, as far as big ugly guns go, that would qualify. Around 1992, answered an add in the paper and went to look at a Hi Point. I don't have the largest hands, but they're certainly not the smallest, either. The pistol was clearly made for Andre the Giant. Weighed about as much as he did, too.

I'm just fine with the medium frames and grips. :)

Back on topic...

Having wore armor every day of my 33 year career I can tell you its not fun.

But a very good idea to have if you are going into harms way.

I would recommend buying armor over a BUG if your serious about survival.

Not as nice as a BUG but a lot more practical.

As a military aviator, I only wore body armor while flying in and out of hostile territory. Our armor was not designed to stop bullets, but rather, shrapnel, such as that created by flying debris when a surface to air missile explodes next to the cockpit. As such, it weighed less than ballistic armor and only qualified as Type I. Even so, it would absorb a lot of energy before a bullet punched through. Better than nothing. From what I understand, that's been upgraded to ballistic armor.

Click here for the full list of standards.

I'm intrigued by liquid armor. It's kevlar that's soaked in non-Newtonian fluids, also known as shear thickening fluids (or STF), where viscosity increases with the rate of shear strain. They're quite pliable at low shear, such as while being worn and moving around. When struck by a bullet or knife, however, Van der Waals forces skyrocket, instantly turning the fluid into a solid. STFs can be stabilized either electrostatically or sterically (under pressure).

With the right engineering geometries, it's conceivable a full body suit of liquid armor would weight the same as today's Type IV vests while providing greatly enhanced ventilation.

Last edited:

Primus

Yeah, as far as big ugly guns go, that would qualify. Around 1992, answered an add in the paper and went to look at a Hi Point. I don't have the largest hands, but they're certainly not the smallest, either. The pistol was clearly made for Andre the Giant. Weighed about as much as he did, too.

That's because when they break you need to use it as an impact weapon.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

Back on topic...

As a military aviator, I only wore body armor while flying in and out of hostile territory. Our armor was not designed to stop bullets, but rather, shrapnel, such as that created by flying debris when a surface to air missile explodes next to the cockpit. As such, it weighed less than ballistic armor and only qualified as Type I. Even so, it would absorb a lot of energy before a bullet punched through. Better than nothing. From what I understand, that's been upgraded to ballistic armor.

Click here for the full list of standards.

I'm intrigued by liquid armor. It's kevlar that's soaked in non-Newtonian fluids, also known as shear thickening fluids (or STF), where viscosity increases with the rate of shear strain. They're quite pliable at low shear, such as while being worn and moving around. When struck by a bullet or knife, however, Van der Waals forces skyrocket, instantly turning the fluid into a solid. STFs can be stabilized either electrostatically or sterically (under pressure).

With the right engineering geometries, it's conceivable a full body suit of liquid armor would weight the same as today's Type IV vests while providing greatly enhanced ventilation.

Man, don't you just love science?

stealthyeliminator

Bullet resistant vehicles and tires for the commoners?

I've actually looked into that (sort of, just out of curiosity). It's pretty expensive, but a private party could certainly have their everyday driver outfitted with armor if they had the money. Not only armor, but even countermeasures potentially. The real barrier to the average Joe obtaining it is the cost.

wimwag

it bans a person from purchasing/owning/possessing level 3 or higher body

--Moderator edited spam link--

spam! Spaaaaammmm!!!! Sssspppppaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm!

I apologize for the outburst. I found spam.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWCook

Activist Member
Not to revive an old thread here, but I wear daily Level 3A conceal vest under my shirt 7 days a week. Most folks can't even tell that I am wearing it and it doesn't make me sweat.

DWCook

Activist Member
Armor Shield is the brand I wear, sorry for the late response. 3A with a trauma plate, comfortable vest and no complaints for me!

Meanaction

I signed this earlier this year!

I own level 3 plates with PX2100 spall protection on them carried in a Banshee plate carrier. Trying to ban defensive items like body armor is counter intuitive and asinine. It's pitiful that a bill like this even sees the light of day while we have groups like ISIS talking about random and coordinated attacks on Americans here in the US. What is some liberal going to try to ban next my IFAK. (Individual First Aid Kit) In the trunk on my blacked out big body Buick rides a few things I might need one day to fight my way home. Remington 870, a bandolier of 00 buckshot, and body armor.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Attempting to ban body armor is about as asininely brain-dead stupid as banning:

• seat belts
  • sunglasses
  • sunscreen
  • fire extinguishers
  • umbrella
  • spare tires
  • car bumpers
  • windshields
  • personal floatation devices
  • motorcycle helmets
  • bicycle helmets
  • football helmets
  • skateboard helmets
  • wrestling helmets
  • boxing helmets
  • boxing gloves
  • rear-view mirrors
  • tail lights
  • turn signals
  • emergency response vehicle sirens
  • traffic lights
  • knee and elbow pads for skateboarders
  • mouth guards for athletes
  • gloves
  • safety goggles
  • ear plugs
  • nomex suits for military aviators and race car drivers
  • curbs
  • guardrails
  • safety nets
  • air masks for firefighters
  • sweaters
  • jackets
  • ski pants
  • retention straps for surfboards
  • diving masks
  • buoyancy compensators
  • hemorrhoid cushions
  • etc...

I mean SERIOUSLY, people. We the People have the RIGHT to defend ourselves any way we see fit. When some freakin' retard tries legislating otherwise, it's time to FLOOD their office and every news agency in the land with a rock-solid list of reasons as to WHY they're a freakin' retard, how we're NOT going to re-elect the SOB, and who we're going to elect to replace him or her, as well as WHY, namely, because their imminent replacement RESPECTS our rights instead of trying to undermine them.