• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Body Armor Ban

Aknazer

In short, it bans a person from purchasing/owning/possessing level 3 or higher body. Only exceptions are armor owned before enactment and government agencies.

From the way it reads it appears that it would even prevent privatized security from using the armor since even if the company purchased/owned the armor, the individual would have to be in possession of it while on duty. If that isn't true, and the whole "a trust isn't a person" bit, then one could side-step it via the trust/business route.

Luckily I doubt this will go very far, but definately something to keep one's eye on.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
By a show of hands - how many here wear body armor regularly?

Yes, it is another attempt to pull and end-run on the Second Amendment, and for that we need to be watchful and oppose it.

I don't know about where you live, but it's already illegal here to wear body armor (any level) while committing a felony. How about we get the word out to all the criminals, so they will stop wearing body armor just like they obey the laws against robbing and killing. That's the ticket!

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

I'd probably buy body armor just for the 'fun of having it.' You can get level 3 armor super cheap, I was surprised last time I looked up prices. Edit: It's on my wishlist, for sure.

Last edited:

Primus

I'd probably buy body armor just for the 'fun of having it.' You can get level 3 armor super cheap, I was surprised last time I looked up prices. Edit: It's on my wishlist, for sure.

What do u consider "super cheap"? $500+?

Are you talking about IIIa soft armor with no trauma plates?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

What do u consider "super cheap"? $500+?

Are you talking about IIIa soft armor with no trauma plates?

I'm talking about (2) level 3 plates and a carrier. Such as those found at ar500armor.com. You can get 2 plates and a carrier sub $300. Of course, then you only have plate protection. Not sure if it's more typical to wear plates over Kevlar that covers more than what the plates cover, I don't know much about body armor :)

Last edited:

Primus

I'm talking about (2) level 3 plates and a carrier. Such as those found at ar500armor.com. You can get 2 plates and a carrier sub $300. Of course, then you only have plate protection. Not sure if it's more typical to wear plates over Kevlar that covers more than what the plates cover, I don't know much about body armor :)

Ahh ok. Your talking about a plate carrier then and just putting trauma plates in. No kevlar.

I was hoping you had a connection for kevlar body armor since im sick of dropping like $800 every few years.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have several sets of armor that I use for a variety of legal purposes. I have a range set that I use for teaching (ebay-US$75). I also have several others in soft and a few plate carriers to go over them. I guess I will be legally "grandfathered" in? I doubt that.
View attachment 11934
Have you ever been to the "Pit"? When I go to shooting areas like that I always wear armor. It only takes one idiot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

cabledawg

Wouldn't any body armor be better than no body armor? Like the caliber discussion, I'd rather have a 22 cal then no gun at all.........

davidmcbeth

Banned
You do realize that advertisement is for used body armor of unknown age and condition, right?

Most soft body armor sold in the United States is rated for five years of service. That's the standard of the National Institute of Justice (NIJ).
http://www.policemag.com/channel/pa...things-you-need-to-know-about-body-armor.aspx

I would guess that various additives and plasticizers eventually leave the fibers...making the fibers more brittle over time.

I have not seen any studies regarding this but its a good guess IMO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would guess that various additives and plasticizers eventually leave the fibers...making the fibers more brittle over time.

I have not seen any studies regarding this but its a good guess IMO.
It would seem that separation of fibers is a major point.

Any body armor system that has been heavily worn (for example, moderate-to-heavy set wrinkles throughout the ballistic panels, open breaks in the outer shell carrier, the outer shell carrier is heavily stained and worn), regardless of its age, SHALL BE DEEMED TO BE ABUSED AND AUTOMATICALLY VOIDS THIS WARRANTY IN ALL RESPECTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO VOIDING ANY BALLISTIC PERFORMANCE WARRANTY.
http://www.safariland.com/bodyarmor/Warranty-NIJ-04-NIJ-05.aspx

Testing & studies of body armor:
http://www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/Pages/welcome.aspx

http://nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/pages/research.aspx

davidmcbeth

Banned
It would seem that separation of fibers is a major point.

Any body armor system that has been heavily worn (for example, moderate-to-heavy set wrinkles throughout the ballistic panels, open breaks in the outer shell carrier, the outer shell carrier is heavily stained and worn), regardless of its age, SHALL BE DEEMED TO BE ABUSED AND AUTOMATICALLY VOIDS THIS WARRANTY IN ALL RESPECTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO VOIDING ANY BALLISTIC PERFORMANCE WARRANTY.
http://www.safariland.com/bodyarmor/Warranty-NIJ-04-NIJ-05.aspx

Testing & studies of body armor:
http://www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/Pages/welcome.aspx

http://nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/pages/research.aspx

I did not see an accelerated aging methods or light exposure methods ... so I guess that they tested actual 5 yr old vests or similar .. or they just guessed (which happens more often than you think).

I recall the dragon skin body armor case where they actually failed with different degree angle of shots ... whoops ... the company lost their case.. cop got killed, family sued vest manufacturer..

Firearms Iinstuctor

I did not see an accelerated aging methods or light exposure methods ... so I guess that they tested actual 5 yr old vests or similar .. or they just guessed (which happens more often than you think).

The actual test by NIJ was done by handing out some thing like 100 vest then after 5 years they went back and recovered something like 5 of them.

Then they shot those 5 a couple of those vest failed the NIJ tests It was my under standing that the vests that failed were in bad shape oiled stained ect.

Because of those vests that failed they adopted the 5 year standard.

The vest manufactures are very happy to say their vest are only good for 5 years they sell a lot more then saying 10 or even 15 years.

Many vests kept in good shape retained ballistic protection for decades.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having wore armor every day of my 33 year career I can tell you its not fun.

But a very good idea to have if you are going into harms way.

I would recommend buying armor over a BUG if your serious about survival.

Not as nice as a BUG but a lot more practical.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When a BUG is a primary

Alternate definition of BUG = big ugly gun.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.