• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry is uncivilized

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
It's not "uncivilized" if you're wearing a suit.

Remember, presenting a clean-cut and "professional" appearance -- along with proper deportment while OCing of course -- makes a good, reassuring and calming impression on the general public. A suit completes this "civilized" presentation.*

* Please, be sure to color-coordinate appropriately also. Don't be a clueless imitator "poser" but instead, look like you know how to dress. "Power ties" are optional, but a tie color/finish that complements the color/finish of your gun indicates to everyone that the carrier has achieved the highest level of "being civilized" (and fashion-awareness) presently possible. In the example pictured below, we see our model carrier opting for simple shades of gray...a more "no-nonsense/no-frills/business-like" & somewhat "city-industrial" presentation -- but nonetheless, certainly still sporting a quite "civilized" appearance.

Attachments

• Gorilla With Gun.jpg
    Gorilla With Gun.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's not "uncivilized" if you're wearing a suit, period.

Remember, presenting a clean-cut and "professional" appearance -- along with proper deportment while OCing of course -- makes a good, reassuring and calming impression on the general public. A suit completes this "civilized" presentation.*

* Please, be sure to color-coordinate appropriately also. Don't be a "poser" but instead, look like you know how to dress. "Power ties" are optional, but a tie color/finish that complements the color/finish of your gun indicates to everyone that the carrier has achieved the highest level of "being civilized" (and fashion-awareness) presently possible. In the picture below, we see a carrier opting for simple shades of gray...a more "no-nonsense/no-frills/business-like" & somewhat "industrial" presentation -- but certainly still quite civilized nonetheless.

Purple journalism. :p

SovereignAxe

Unless you live in Arizona, Vermont, Wyoming, or Alaska...

Tell him that, by acquiescing to obtaining a permit, he has already abandoned that which is a right in favor of a mere privilege, able to be revoked at the whim of a bureaucrat.

He's already freely given up his 2nd, so what's he worried about? That they won't grant him permission some day? Indeed they might not, for when you ask for permission, you implicitly grant the authority to deny that permission. But the solution is to deny the authority to grant or withhold permission, which in most states means OC.

Or ND, MN, IA, UT, OK, TN, GA, MA, or CT or a few others where open carry also requires a permission slip.

SovereignAxe

I referenced the states which allow concealed carry without a permission slip, saying that my response wouldn't apply there.

Also Arkansas apparently. I missed that one. :p

What I meant wouldn't apply in the states I listed either. In TN I can't tell someone that it's a right to OC but not CC, because, despite what it says in our state's constitution, it's not a right to do either in our state.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What I meant wouldn't apply in the states I listed either. In TN I can't tell someone that it's a right to OC but not CC, because, despite what it says in our state's constitution, it's not a right to do either in our state.

It's a right regardless of whether government chooses to recognize it.

OC for ME

Tell him that, by acquiescing to obtaining a permit, he has already abandoned that which is a right in favor of a mere privilege, able to be revoked at the whim of a bureaucrat.

He's already freely given up his 2nd, so what's he worried about? That they won't grant him permission some day? Indeed they might not, for when you ask for permission, you implicitly grant the authority to deny that permission. But the solution is to deny the authority to grant or withhold permission, which in most states means OC.
If Amendment 5 means what we think (hope) it means, and with a little time (and luck), MO could be a AZ et al state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I thought you were supposed to call the attorney first.

You're most likely going to be arrested once the police show up.
Some have said as much. I don't want to give the impression that my comfort is more important than another's life.

I will call 911 with a request for medical assistance. Immediately thereafter I will call my attorney.....and then keep my big mouth shut until he arrives and speak only through him.

stealthyeliminator

I was going to say, in regards to calling emergency responders first, my lawyer told me not to, so doesn't that mean lawyers are the uncivilized ones? :lol: ;) I kid, of course.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was going to say, in regards to calling emergency responders first, my lawyer told me not to, so doesn't that mean lawyers are the uncivilized ones? :lol: ;) I kid, of course.

My attorney explains options and gives advice - and yes he is very good.

Still, I am the ultimate decider of my fate and how I proceed in life.

Packer fan

If I saw an OC'er I'd shoot him/her.

Arkansas, too.

All though many LOE's will tell you that Arkansas is not a constitutional carry state they can't come up with the statute to charge you with.

Many people listen to the the "experts" and so who wants to be seen as uneducated according the experts. I was once confronted by a man who is a rabid CC person in the middle of a church just before the church service; we have since come to a mutual understanding. He still doesn't agree with me but that's ok.

Here is a question I have to ask CC'ers, if you are so adamant that CC is the only way to carry then why are you blabbing to me that you are carrying or not carrying, didn't you just give away the element of surprise and now I know you are the first one I should shoot?

Here is a question, how many have heard from the CC crowed that if they were to see someone OC that they (CC'er) would shoot him/her? Yes, I have been told that by more than one.

JustJack

Here is a question I have to ask CC'ers, if you are so adamant that CC is the only way to carry then why are you blabbing to me that you are carrying or not carrying, didn't you just give away the element of surprise and now I know you are the first one I should shoot?

Found an image online the other day that pretty well sums up my reaction to the standard CC 'tactical advantage' BS. I can't seem to post a decent copy here, so I'll just write out a slightly improved version.

CC Guy: I conceal because I like the element of surprise when a criminal comes after me.

Me: That sounds sadistic, like you WANT to shoot someone. I open carry to deter crime. No reason to shoot if the crime is deterred before it happens.

CC Guy: You are ruining our carry rights!!

Me: Bwahahahahahaha! Or you serious? Wow. Get therapy.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Found an image online the other day that pretty well sums up my reaction to the standard CC 'tactical advantage' BS. I can't seem to post a decent copy here, so I'll just write out a slightly improved version.

CC Guy: I conceal because I like the element of surprise when a criminal comes after me.

Me: That sounds sadistic, like you WANT to shoot someone. I open carry to deter crime. No reason to shoot if the crime is deterred before it happens.

CC Guy: You are ruining our carry rights!!

Me: Bwahahahahahaha! Or you serious? Wow. Get therapy.

Can you post a link to the photo? Small world, I lived in Findlay back in 1988.

The Truth

Here is a question, how many have heard from the CC crowed that if they were to see someone OC that they (CC'er) would shoot him/her? Yes, I have been told that by more than one.

What the hell? Why do you even associate with these people? Sorry, but no one is going to tell me they are going to kill me with zero consequence, especially if they are armed, and especially if they are CC'ing. Sounds like little man syndrome and probably 5 or 6 doses of liquid courage to me.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Allowing criminals to wreak havoc on civilization, particularly within me in it, is uncivilized.

OC deters crime, which is far more civilized than ambushing a criminal who didn't know you were carrying.