• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry is uncivilized

decklin

Don't bother. This is a person who has already made up their mind and will not listen to reason. It doesn't matter how logical an argument you present, they will counter it with misinformation. Usually some crap about, "You'll be the first one shot, someone will try to take it, extra attention from cops, element of surprise, etc."
Now if someone approaches you with something like, "Why do you open carry?" or another open ended question then absolutely take the time to speak with them. This is a person that is demonstrating the will to actually listen to what you might have to say.
I have rarely encountered negativity to OC and that's with living in the uber liberal Puget Sound area of Washington State.
Just the other day I OC'd into a mall and had zero issues. Even had a security guard walk by me. He looked right at my gun then tipped his hat and said, "Good afternoon, sir."
I nodded and smiled, "You too, sir!"

The Truth

One could argue that it's uncivilized to conceal, but it's just not really worth it to argue with these types. CC has its place. Even my Dad doesn't really fully support my decision to OC, so I've heard a number of the reasons to strictly CC.

decklin said:
"You'll be the first one shot, someone will try to take it, extra attention from cops, element of surprise, etc."

I've heard these before too, to which I tend to think:

A) hiding the fact that you are armed makes you a more likely target, contrary to the logic that an OC weapon is a target

B) concealing in hopes that you are targeted so that you can 'get yer rocks off' by engaging in a Hollywood-like shootout "surprise style" is not the best tactical measure

C) you're afraid to exercise your rights (where applicable) and instead enjoy appeasing people as opposed to standing up for what is right, although it is ok to be uncomfortable with OC and to choose not to in that regard.

I would never come at anyone verbally for questioning my OC rights, but if the guy was condescending and clearly lacking reasoning skills I might think of dropping one of these on him right before I chose to end the conversation. This site is a pretty useful resource and there are others too. There's a pretty effective essay written on another site supporting OC that I enjoy reading, and that is on Virginia Open Carry.

Baked on Grease

I ask a few very sumple questions and leave it at this...

"Do you have a Right to carry a firearm concealed?"

They always answer yes, because ignorance.

"Then why do you need to ask permission to conceal? "

And wing it from there. I set the tone and premise of the debate from the start so I can lead them down logical pathways. Some people follow, but most CC diehards shut their minds and refuse to consider that thair position was false.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
How do you respond to this, asked buy a guy who conceals and thinks OC will cause us to lose the 2nd.

Unless you live in Arizona, Vermont, Wyoming, or Alaska...

Tell him that, by acquiescing to obtaining a permit, he has already abandoned that which is a right in favor of a mere privilege, able to be revoked at the whim of a bureaucrat.

He's already freely given up his 2nd, so what's he worried about? That they won't grant him permission some day? Indeed they might not, for when you ask for permission, you implicitly grant the authority to deny that permission. But the solution is to deny the authority to grant or withhold permission, which in most states means OC.

Aknazer

He asked you a statement?

As for the intent of your post, it would depend on their demenor. If they come across as someone who is close-minded and is just looking to argue, then I would respond with "I think it is uncivilized to conceal my weapon like a criminal as I have nothing to hide." If they seem to be more open then I would state that it isn't being uncivilized, but rather it is passive deterrence so that I hopefully don't have to draw my gun, compared to CCers who have to draw their gun to try and get any deterrence effect from it. If at any time it starts to become an arguement then I would just revert to the initial part of my post and move on.

Last edited:

cjohnson44546

I ask a few very sumple questions and leave it at this...

"Do you have a Right to carry a firearm concealed?"

They always answer yes, because ignorance.

"Then why do you need to ask permission to conceal? "

And wing it from there. I set the tone and premise of the debate from the start so I can lead them down logical pathways. Some people follow, but most CC diehards shut their minds and refuse to consider that thair position was false.

of course we have a right to conceal... we ask permission because the government is infringing our rights, and we don't alone have the power to stand up to them, and would rather not go to prison. Some people may choose to defy illegal laws, but they'll till end up illegally detained in prison for years, and lose several of their other rights forever too.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do not argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience.

If it was a passing comment, let it (and you) pass.

If it is someone youy regularly talk with, add it to weather, politics, and religion to the list of subjects you agree not to discuss.

If it is a family member, look up the laws in your state on how to disown someone.

stay safe.

Baked on Grease

of course we have a right to conceal... we ask permission because the government is infringing our rights, and we don't alone have the power to stand up to them, and would rather not go to prison. Some people may choose to defy illegal laws, but they'll till end up illegally detained in prison for years, and lose several of their other rights forever too.
Oh trust me, I believe just as you say. It's merely a starting point to get the gears turning in their heads upon which I can build an argument one step at a time where each part challenges their existing mindset.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Collaborators don't listen anyway. He doesn't want a legitimate debate. See the line about adminstering medicine tot he dead in my signature.

Don't waste your time on collaborators.

F350

I generally take the position... "Don't wrestle with hogs, the only result is you get dirty and the hog has fun".

BUT if I do I quote the Colorado Constitution....

Article II Section 13. Right to bear arms.
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

SOOOO, in Colorado open carrying is civilized while concealed carry is the provenance of the card sharp, hustler, pimp and back alley thug.

stealthyeliminator

I would probably just look at them funny, like they had said something offensive, or tell them that I'm sorry they feel that way.

wittmeba

He may likely be one that would support concealed carry to the extent that Open Carry would lose their rights. Then soon after the concealed carry would lose their rights and he would want to raise hell with anger over losing his rights - and not have a clue to understanding how/why it happened.

twoskinsonemanns

Some folks claim owning any gun is uncivilized. Luckily I don't give a damn what they think either.