• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry is uncivilized

The Truth

Allowing criminals to wreak havoc on civilization, particularly within me in it, is uncivilized.

OC deters crime, which is far more civilized than ambushing a criminal who didn't know you were carrying.

Both of these statements are great, but the latter statement is exceptionally logical.

I know how the CCer would respond though. "Who cares about the criminal?"

Arin Morris

I know how the CCer would respond though. "Who cares about the criminal?"

My response to that would be to ask what they think happens after the shoot. I don't care about the criminal. I care about my family and me. There are consequences to actions, even if they are justified.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
My own answer:

I care for everyone. I just care for myself more.

The firearm makes it clear what the stakes are. If a would-be criminal does not wish to predate upon me, given firmly-established stakes of life or death, I am happy to let him abort and think about his ways. If a criminal wants to go there anyway, I am content to put him down or die trying.

Last edited:

wimwag

Someone told me today that being a militia member is uncivilized because militas are full of "violent right wingers with guns."

wimwag

Primus...your true colors are showing again. Choose your side wisely. The penalty for treason is stiff.

Primus

Primus...your true colors are showing again. Choose your side wisely. The penalty for treason is stiff.

Relax. It was a joke. You of all guys should know how to take one.

Sorry to disappoint but there are no "sides" and none of these militias (to include yourself) have anything to do with the penalty for "treason".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

wimwag

I may joke with you from time to time...I'd have to be blind to not know what side you're on.

Let me ask you this...do you arrest people for open carry?

F350

This little ditty aught-a make them soil themselves...

U.S. Code › Title 10 › Subtitle A › Part I › Chapter 13 › § 311
10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes

Current through Pub. L. 113-163. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)
US Code
Notes
prev | next
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

SFCRetired

Just to weigh in with another state's (Alabama) view of concealed carry:

1. The act of the 1st of February, 1839, "To suppress the evil
practice of carrying weapons secretly
," does not either directly,
or indirectly tend to divest the citizen of the "right to bear arms
in defence of himself and the State;" and is, therefore consistent
with the 23d section of the 1 Art. of the constitution.

Cite is from State vs Reid, 1840.

That far back, the act of carrying a concealed weapon was considered evil. :lol:

This also points up the fact that open carry is, and always has been, legal in the Great State of Alabama.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I may joke with you from time to time...I'd have to be blind to not know what side you're on.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

navigating the state laws of MA gave me a headache...convoluted.

Anyway, it seems that carry is OK with a Class A or B, I think. OC is not mentioned, or I could not find references to the manner of carry.

Primus

Never have. Never seen an open carrier in my city other then myself. Only MWAG calls I go to is when someone I'd being robbed/shot/ assaulted or some other illegal violence.

I've had a guy who was hammered while driving (fell into the back of his car while doing field sobriety HE insisted on doing to show me how soooiber he was). This guy happened to lie to me and had a loaded gun stored in his vehicle. He was called a cab home and his gun was stored at the station till he came back SOBE the next day. Let's say he was extremely grateful.

Ive had a few other intersections with legal gun owners. Never busted their chops or made any type of arrest. Ever.

And I'll say again... YOU can put me on what whatever "side" you want my friend. But I refuse to even acknowledge there are "sides". There isnt. I'm a gun owning freedom loving dude who owns a house and has a family just like you. I put my pants on just like you and work a full time job just like everyone. If YOU think my job puts me on a different "side" the that's your problem. Its made up in your head if so.

The only "side" I'm on is legal good guys. Period. That should be every dude on this forum. Doesn't matter if I flip burgers or sell cars.

To think that ones employment dictates anything else is naïve. Among many other things.

I still love you even when your totally wrong. :p

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Never have. Never seen an open carrier in my city other then myself. Only MWAG calls I go to is when someone I'd being robbed/shot/ assaulted or some other illegal violence.

I've had a guy who was hammered while driving (fell into the back of his car while doing field sobriety HE insisted on doing to show me how soooiber he was). This guy happened to lie to me and had a loaded gun stored in his vehicle. He was called a cab home and his gun was stored at the station till he came back SOBE the next day. Let's say he was extremely grateful.

Ive had a few other intersections with legal gun owners. Never busted their chops or made any type of arrest. Ever.

And I'll say again... YOU can put me on what whatever "side" you want my friend. But I refuse to even acknowledge there are "sides". There isnt. I'm a gun owning freedom loving dude who owns a house and has a family just like you. I put my pants on just like you and work a full time job just like everyone. If YOU think my job puts me on a different "side" the that's your problem. Its made up in your head if so.

The only "side" I'm on is legal good guys. Period. That should be every dude on this forum. Doesn't matter if I flip burgers or sell cars.

To think that ones employment dictates anything else is naïve. Among many other things.

I still love you even when your totally wrong. :p

Obviously, I don't think any of us are prepared to argue with any of this. The problem is, it doesn't always jibe with your... readiness to defend cops for behavior which is at the very least demonstrative of a need for reform in training practices, policies, etc.

wimwag

Obviously, I don't think any of us are prepared to argue with any of this. The problem is, it doesn't always jibe with your... readiness to defend cops for behavior which is at the very least demonstrative of a need for reform in training practices, policies, etc.

Or a need for prison sentences for the offender with a badge.

wimwag

Oh there are sides.

Those who think that if we don't like the infringements on liberty need to leave are on one side for sure....

Definitely. There are a horde of government employees from various alphabet soup agencies trying to infiltrate, spread dissent within and discredit any and every law abiding militia in the nation by any means possible. Obviously there are sides. Just look at what happened to the Wisconsin State Militia and the staged firing position set up at the overpass near the Bundy ranch. Two very good examples.