• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sexual Assault on Virginia campuses: McAuliffe promotes 'Bystander Intervention'

Repeater

McAuliffe evidently accepts the Progressive Gospel that empathy and Bystander Intervention can help revent violent crime; no thought to alternate ideas that might actually work, liked ARMED intervention -- self-defense.

Gov. McAuliffe forms task force to combat sexual violence at Virginia colleges
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe formed a task force to combat sexual violence at the state’s colleges and universities, addressing a problem that has commanded attention this year in Washington and on campuses nationwide.

On Thursday in Richmond, McAuliffe (D) announced the task force and released a declaration signed by himself, state Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) and 17 public higher education leaders pledging numerous steps to prevent sexual violence and ensure prompt and fair resolution when cases arise.

“Listen, I want Virginia to be out front on this issue,” McAuliffe said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “It’s a nationwide issue. We can and must do a lot better.”

The joint declaration from Virginia leaders embraces “bystander intervention,” a prevention method that aims to encourage students who witness a troublesome situation at a late-night party or elsewhere to step in before an offense occurs. Obama’s task force also endorsed this tactic.

In sharp contrast, David Codrea describes the Sisters in Arms approach:
Women and guns is hardly a new phenomenon.

That’s despite fear-mongering by the antis. They would have us believe that women are more likely to be killed with a gun in the home than ever use it in self-defense -- but they never seem to separate out criminal households from normal homes when they make those claims. My personal favorite is the assertion that if a woman has a gun her attacker will take it away from her. One wonders how many who make that claim would like to show us how it’s done, especially with some of the women I know. I chronicled the boasts of one such self-impressed he-man some years back, but it never elicited a response.

There are plenty of directions I could go with this, from female gun owners I know and admire, to survivors and trainers and champions, but today I want to focus on one small part of all that, a group I came into contact with through social media that I’ve since gone on to establish friendly and supportive communications with: Women Against Gun Control, or as they refer to themselves, “Ladies of High Caliber.”

Similar examples of leadership, perseverance and refusal to knuckle under to "progressive" standards on approved viewpoints for women can be found in other groups, such as the aforementioned Second Amendment Sisters and The Well Armed Woman. So it’s understandable why “progressive” media favors subsidized weaklings, spooked by propaganda-fed fears, over self-confident women who refuse to be victims. After all, the latter have mastered tools that give most members of the press, especially the anti-gun male contingent, a case of the vapors.

I wonder if the Governor's 'Task Force' would even consider other points of view?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Intervention becomes a lot less likely when there is an obvious disparity of force. Worse, a person forcibly raping a woman in a setting public enough to allow for possible intervention likely possesses a force disparity over most people (statistically-speaking). Thus the person who comes along is already unlikely to intervene.

Armed intervention is much more practical. That doesn't mean we should shoot first, or whatever. It's all about incentives and preparedness.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What is McAuliff going to do about the "guilty even if proven innocent" policies of our state schools of higher learning regarding sexual assault accusations?

But as for his present program - how much farther does a busybody need to go to get from "bystander intervention" to "if you see something, say something"?

I don't think we need to force males to go through "how not to rape" educational indoctrination, nor do I think we need to force females to go through "how not to be raped" educational indoctrination. But with the nexus between alcohol and sexual events, it might not hurt if we allowed our underage college students to attend "how to drink" and "how to take responsibility for your behavior" classes - both with extensive practicums.

If those two programs work out well, we can start looking for someone to teach "how to think logically" and "how to guess what will happen next if I do X" classes. I know the search will have to go well outside the usual academia circles, but there might be someone who is willing to come in as a guest lecturer.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>

I wonder if the Governor's 'Task Force' would even consider other points of view?

Such task force may include public input and testimony ... sure they'll consider anything that is brought to their attention, not that they give it due consideration

CoryB

If those two programs work out well, we can start looking for someone to teach "how to think logically" and "how to guess what will happen next if I do X" classes. I know the search will have to go well outside the usual academia circles, but there might be someone who is willing to come in as a guest lecturer.

stay safe.

Highly unlikely. The LAST thing Liberals want is for people to think for themselves, much less logically. And having spent a number of years in the educational system (IT - not classroom related), I observed that educators typically exist in their own little world, blissfully ignorant of how things are in real life.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Unlike your state, people actually listen here.

Again, you lose. Congratulations.

Hooray ! And I did not say that they don't listen .. its just that they may not care what you have to say...

I'll assume that in your state, they are happy with restrictions on RKBA ... after all, they listen, right?