• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wayne State OC?

MikeTheGreek

So, My girlfriend goes to Wayne State in downtown Detroit. She lives in a private apartment complex, across the street from campus. I think technically WSU owns all of the property around there, but am I allowed to carry? Or can they actually legally ban anyone who lives around there (including people who don't go to WSU) from possessing or carrying a firearm? That just sounds strange to me.

I know obviously I cant carry in their buildings or on actual campus, I was told that WSU owns all of the property that the bars, apartments, stores are on too. Can anyone confirm this? It's pretty damn confusing. There are about 15 apartment buildings around there that don't only house students, and I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single CPL holder/firearm carrier in any of those buildings.

Also, first time I was visiting her I was OC'ing, and multiple WSU Police cars passed me, waved, nodded, the usual. I don't know if that means its legal, or some cops don't care. Don't want to take a chance and have one ******* cop who's having a bad day arrest me or anything.

Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

FreeInAZ

Mike we have a poster on here who is well versed in what WSU police can / cannot do. Commander Iceman. Hope he chimes in. While you may "think" it sounds funny, many universities attempt a ban on legal guns be they anywhere on school property. I would ask your girl to find her lease agreement and review it with her. Even if WSU police cannot do anything to you, if they can, WSU may go after your girlfriend for creating a "threat" on campus by inviting you. Amazing how hard scholars will work to oppress others. :( Often they bend/break the law knowing full well most people just don't have the resources to force them to obey the law.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Mike we have a poster on here who is well versed in what WSU police can / cannot do. Commander Iceman. Hope he chimes in. While you may "think" it sounds funny, many universities attempt a ban on legal guns be they anywhere on school property. I would ask your girl to find her lease agreement and review it with her. Even if WSU police cannot do anything to you, if they can, WSU may go after your girlfriend for creating a "threat" on campus by inviting you. Amazing how hard scholars will work to oppress others. :( Often they bend/break the law knowing full well most people just don't have the resources to force them to obey the law.

I actually called WSU police and they told me that no matter what land they own down there, as long as I don't actually go onto the school campus (where the classrooms and etc) are located, they don't care what I do. He was pretty nice about it, basically said every cop has their own opinion of OC but there was nothing wrong with OCing on WSU owned land unless it's on the actual campus so that's good.

rightwinglibertarian

I actually called WSU police and they told me that no matter what land they own down there, as long as I don't actually go onto the school campus (where the classrooms and etc) are located, they don't care what I do. He was pretty nice about it, basically said every cop has their own opinion of OC but there was nothing wrong with OCing on WSU owned land unless it's on the actual campus so that's good.

NEVER trust an LEO for accurate info. Never ever. While i'm out of state and can't provide much more help than that, there are people who can.

MikeTheGreek

NEVER trust an LEO for accurate info. Never ever. While i'm out of state and can't provide much more help than that, there are people who can.

He was the head of Campus PD, and I have the call recorded (All of my calls are recorded on my phone) so if I ever get any trouble I can just use that. I made sure to have him repeat the part where I can legally OC/CC on WSU property without violating any laws a few times, so there is no confusion.

rightwinglibertarian

He was the head of Campus PD, and I have the call recorded (All of my calls are recorded on my phone) so if I ever get any trouble I can just use that. I made sure to have him repeat the part where I can legally OC/CC on WSU property without violating any laws a few times, so there is no confusion.

Looks like you covered your back there.

wizzi01

You did get permission to record him correct?

FreeInAZ

You did get permission to record him correct?

IIRC - He is a public official, in the performance of his duties, using public equipment (the phone/building etc..), so single party consent (1 of the parties) is all that is needed. This is why crooked cops use their cell phones vs. the radio, so it is much more difficult to FOIA.

See Sullivan v. Gray, 342 N.W. 2d 58, 60-61 (Mich. Ct. App. 1982).

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/michigan-recording-law

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
IIRC - He is a public official, in the performance of his duties, using public equipment (the phone/building etc..), so single party consent (1 of the parties) is all that is needed. This is why crooked cops use their cell phones vs. the radio, so it is much more difficult to FOIA.

Correct, Michigan only requires the consent of one of the parties to record a conversation. Mike, as a party to the conversation, obviously consented to himself recording.

wizzi01

I didn't see anything about public officials using personal cell phones in that link. Which will still make it shady. As that link says "The Michigan Supreme Court has not yet ruled on this question, so it is not clear whether you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to it." So you could still have to go through a battle if someone wants to be a *****.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Correct, Michigan only requires the consent of one of the parties to record a conversation. Mike, as a party to the conversation, obviously consented to himself recording.

+1 for this. I'm young, but not stupid! I looked into it a while back before I installed it. Don't have any links or anything, I'll try to find them when I have time, but there were a few cases in Michigan where the courts ruled that it's legal unless you're a third party that not otherwise involved in the phone conversation being recorded.

If I find any evidence that shows that I'm incorrect, I'll definitely uninstall it.

FreeInAZ

I didn't see anything about public officials using personal cell phones in that link. Which will still make it shady. As that link says "The Michigan Supreme Court has not yet ruled on this question, so it is not clear whether you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to it." So you could still have to go through a battle if someone wants to be a *****.

While anything is possible, I guess? I doubt any DA worth a rats ass would venture pressing charges. For what? Recording a public servant doing their job - to which multiple courts have rule that "they have no expectation of privacy while performing their duty". You live in MI not RUSSIA or NY, NJ, IL, CA... So you are somewhat free last I checked?

wizzi01

While anything is possible, I guess? I doubt any DA worth a rats ass would venture pressing charges. For what? Recording a public servant doing their job - to which multiple courts have rule that "they have no expectation of privacy while performing their duty". You live in MI not RUSSIA or NY, NJ, IL, CA... So you are somewhat free last I checked?

You know what I totally misread the whole damn thing you said before. lol I was thinking you were saying Mike was a public figure for some damn reason. Sometimes my brain just doesn't work right. lol

FreeInAZ

You know what I totally misread the whole damn thing you said before. lol I was thinking you were saying Mike was a public figure for some damn reason. Sometimes my brain just doesn't work right. lol

Happens to the best of us! No worries. :cool: