Thread: chesterfield county fair

chesterfield county fair

For years I think it was posted. I may be wrong but I think it was posted. Never cared too much cause Im one of those evil concealed slingshot carriers. This year, no sign in sight at all. One catch would be the parking is at three schools. I park on the side in a ditch every year to avoid that. Didnt oc, just cc but perhaps you could?
    If you can not move at 1100 fps, then pass me by.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Have OCd at the Chesterfield County Fair in the past, but had special parking arrangement that allowed me to park inside the fair grounds proper. Now days the only public parking is on school property and that is problematic. Chesterfield refuses to address the issue.

I've thought about having a "designated driver" (no gun) drop me off at the gate. I'd be OCing, maybe with an extra handgun for the driver if we can figure out how to transfer it w/o attracting negative attention.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

parkin

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Have OCd at the Chesterfield County Fair in the past, but had special parking arrangement that allowed me to park inside the fair grounds proper. Now days the only public parking is on school property and that is problematic. Chesterfield refuses to address the issue.

I've thought about having a "designated driver" (no gun) drop me off at the gate. I'd be OCing, maybe with an extra handgun for the driver if we can figure out how to transfer it w/o attracting negative attention.
    I parked on the fair side of the road with no problem except that I thought I was in my truck and damn near ripped the exhaust off of my van....um kay

I'll be there tonight - there were no signs on the gates that I saw on Saturday. I'll be concealed, though. My daughter is one of the fair queens, so I guess I'll just be undercover security.

Saturday we parked in the grass near gate 3, across the road from the school. If we can't find a spot there tonight, I'll have my wife drop me off I guess.

At the fair - don't think this sign was there yesterday, but might have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post
    At the fair - don't think this sign was there yesterday, but might have missed it.

Just found this:

21. No alcohol, drugs, or firearms are permitted on Fair property.
    http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.or...egulations.pdf

Here we go again

I do not see an exemption for prescription medication either.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-26-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Just found this:

21. No alcohol, drugs, or firearms are permitted on Fair property.
    http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.or...egulations.pdf

Here we go again

I do not see an exemption for prescription medication either.
    So, who exactly is claiming this authority?

The fair is put on by the Chesterfield County Fair Association. Their VA corporate ID is 0101459-6, and their most recent annual report is here.

If the Association is indeed a private entity, and the fairgrounds (a/k/a, "Bird Park") is being leased to them, then as I understand it they would have the authority to set whatever rules they'd like.

If the Association is authorized by municipal code or receives money from the county or another subdivision of the Commonwealth, then they would not be able to set rules in violation of state law.

Either way, the sign I posted appears to be permanently attached to the building - that doesn't suggest that it is a policy put in place by someone leasing the facility for the week. I also noticed that while the midway had similar signs prohibiting alcohol and wheel vehicles, those signs were free-standing and used a different font and color scheme. I assume those were the property of the amusement company that handles the rides and such.

So. How do we proceed here? The fair is going on until Saturday I believe. I'd be happy to drive back down there Friday night to see if I'm denied entry, posted signs notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Lyndsy Simon; 08-27-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Also, grapeshot - the PDF you linked appears to apply only vendors. I've not found any written policy for attendees.

I found a published rule prohibiting firearms. It's at the bottom of page 5 of their brochure:

ATTENTION VISITORS FOR EVERYONE'S SAFETY
    SHOES & SHIRTS ARE REQUIRED
    NO PETS, FIREARMS, WEAPONS, DRUGS OR ALCOHOL ARE ALLOWED ON THE FAIRGROUNDS

Interesting note: the brochure is hosted on the county's website. It's also on the association's website, but this one is the one that came up in a search.

The Chesterfield County Fair Association appears to be a private entity.
    http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/board.htm

The are listed as a non-profit, charitable organization:
    http://www.faqs.org/tax-exempt/VA/Ch...cCharityStatus

IF they are a separate private entity (a venue) then they may well be able to set the rules - so saith the VA AG opinion.
    http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...09-Greason.pdf

The Chesterfield County Fair Association appears to be a private entity.
    http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/board.htm

The are listed as a non-profit, charitable organization:
    http://www.faqs.org/tax-exempt/VA/Ch...cCharityStatus

IF they are a separate private entity (a venue) then they may well be able to set the rules - so saith the VA AG opinion.
    http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...09-Greason.pdf
    That opinion is only valid until a court decides what the actual, real, proper interpretation of the law is.

Sadly, out current AG will in all probability support it even though it was issued by someone of the opposite political party.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    That opinion is only valid until a court decides what the actual, real, proper interpretation of the law is.

Sadly, out current AG will in all probability support it even though it was issued by someone of the opposite political party.

stay safe.
    Is there a volunteer in the audience? Do we need to start a defense fund?

If I recall correctly, this AG opinion was generated by one of our own asking the wrong question. One must be careful to not generate an answer they do not want.

sign

that sign wasnt there because I look with great detail everywhere I go. Someone actually reads what we write and now, like a bad magic trick....a sign appears. Or maybe someone ocd and it produced this. I prefer the bad magic trick. What have I done? Ill be there tonight just as I was opening night. I have a dirty little secret. Well many of them but whatever. Anyone going to hillsville gun show/flea this weekend...Ill see ya there pushing a wheelchair and wearing something pretty outside of my pants for all the honest world to feel.

I do hope you meant "SEE"

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilrobyjohn View Post
    that sign wasnt there because I look with great detail everywhere I go. Someone actually reads what we write and now, like a bad magic trick....a sign appears. Or maybe someone ocd and it produced this. I prefer the bad magic trick. What have I done? Ill be there tonight just as I was opening night. I have a dirty little secret. Well many of them but whatever. Anyone going to hillsville gun show/flea this weekend...Ill see ya there pushing a wheelchair and wearing something pretty outside of my pants for all the honest world to feel.
    You may have invited the world to pet your OC firearm.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

poncho

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    You may have invited the world to pet your OC firearm.
    o
    poncho and lefty reference but my horse isnt fast as polished steel. Funny how the sign reads no weapons and they are selling knives, stun guns and batons in the building. I see this often at fairs and festivals.....No weapons allowed, well of course unless you pay to get in and purchase them here, same with alcohol.
    Last edited by thedevilrobyjohn; 08-28-2014 at 11:15 AM.