• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

chesterfield county fair

thedevilrobyjohn

For years I think it was posted. I may be wrong but I think it was posted. Never cared too much cause Im one of those evil concealed slingshot carriers. This year, no sign in sight at all. One catch would be the parking is at three schools. I park on the side in a ditch every year to avoid that. Didnt oc, just cc but perhaps you could?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have OCd at the Chesterfield County Fair in the past, but had special parking arrangement that allowed me to park inside the fair grounds proper. Now days the only public parking is on school property and that is problematic. Chesterfield refuses to address the issue.

I've thought about having a "designated driver" (no gun) drop me off at the gate. I'd be OCing, maybe with an extra handgun for the driver if we can figure out how to transfer it w/o attracting negative attention.

thedevilrobyjohn

parkin

Have OCd at the Chesterfield County Fair in the past, but had special parking arrangement that allowed me to park inside the fair grounds proper. Now days the only public parking is on school property and that is problematic. Chesterfield refuses to address the issue.

I've thought about having a "designated driver" (no gun) drop me off at the gate. I'd be OCing, maybe with an extra handgun for the driver if we can figure out how to transfer it w/o attracting negative attention.

I parked on the fair side of the road with no problem except that I thought I was in my truck and damn near ripped the exhaust off of my van....um kay

Lyndsy Simon

I'll be there tonight - there were no signs on the gates that I saw on Saturday. I'll be concealed, though. My daughter is one of the fair queens, so I guess I'll just be undercover security.

Saturday we parked in the grass near gate 3, across the road from the school. If we can't find a spot there tonight, I'll have my wife drop me off I guess.

Lyndsy Simon

At the fair - don't think this sign was there yesterday, but might have missed it.

783decfcd40ad8bbc3c49eccc461a10b.jpg

Lyndsy Simon

Just found this:

21. No alcohol, drugs, or firearms are permitted on Fair property.
http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/rules-regulations.pdf

Here we go again :banghead:

I do not see an exemption for prescription medication either.

So, who exactly is claiming this authority?

The fair is put on by the Chesterfield County Fair Association. Their VA corporate ID is 0101459-6, and their most recent annual report is here.

If the Association is indeed a private entity, and the fairgrounds (a/k/a, "Bird Park") is being leased to them, then as I understand it they would have the authority to set whatever rules they'd like.

If the Association is authorized by municipal code or receives money from the county or another subdivision of the Commonwealth, then they would not be able to set rules in violation of state law.

Either way, the sign I posted appears to be permanently attached to the building - that doesn't suggest that it is a policy put in place by someone leasing the facility for the week. I also noticed that while the midway had similar signs prohibiting alcohol and wheel vehicles, those signs were free-standing and used a different font and color scheme. I assume those were the property of the amusement company that handles the rides and such.

So. How do we proceed here? The fair is going on until Saturday I believe. I'd be happy to drive back down there Friday night to see if I'm denied entry, posted signs notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Lyndsy Simon

I found a published rule prohibiting firearms. It's at the bottom of page 5 of their brochure:

ATTENTION VISITORS FOR EVERYONE'S SAFETY
SHOES & SHIRTS ARE REQUIRED
NO PETS, FIREARMS, WEAPONS, DRUGS OR ALCOHOL ARE ALLOWED ON THE FAIRGROUNDS

Interesting note: the brochure is hosted on the county's website. It's also on the association's website, but this one is the one that came up in a search.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Chesterfield County Fair Association appears to be a private entity.
http://www.chesterfieldcountyfair.org/board.htm

The are listed as a non-profit, charitable organization:
http://www.faqs.org/tax-exempt/VA/C...Association.html#reasonForPublicCharityStatus

IF they are a separate private entity (a venue) then they may well be able to set the rules - so saith the VA AG opinion.
http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2010opns/10-009-Greason.pdf

That opinion is only valid until a court decides what the actual, real, proper interpretation of the law is.

Sadly, out current AG will in all probability support it even though it was issued by someone of the opposite political party.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That opinion is only valid until a court decides what the actual, real, proper interpretation of the law is.

Sadly, out current AG will in all probability support it even though it was issued by someone of the opposite political party.

stay safe.
Is there a volunteer in the audience? Do we need to start a defense fund?

If I recall correctly, this AG opinion was generated by one of our own asking the wrong question. One must be careful to not generate an answer they do not want.

thedevilrobyjohn

sign

that sign wasnt there because I look with great detail everywhere I go. Someone actually reads what we write and now, like a bad magic trick....a sign appears. Or maybe someone ocd and it produced this. I prefer the bad magic trick. What have I done? Ill be there tonight just as I was opening night. I have a dirty little secret. Well many of them but whatever. Anyone going to hillsville gun show/flea this weekend...Ill see ya there pushing a wheelchair and wearing something pretty outside of my pants for all the honest world to feel.

The Wolfhound

I do hope you meant "SEE"

that sign wasnt there because I look with great detail everywhere I go. Someone actually reads what we write and now, like a bad magic trick....a sign appears. Or maybe someone ocd and it produced this. I prefer the bad magic trick. What have I done? Ill be there tonight just as I was opening night. I have a dirty little secret. Well many of them but whatever. Anyone going to hillsville gun show/flea this weekend...Ill see ya there pushing a wheelchair and wearing something pretty outside of my pants for all the honest world to feel.
You may have invited the world to pet your OC firearm.:lol:

thedevilrobyjohn

poncho

You may have invited the world to pet your OC firearm.:lol:
o
poncho and lefty reference but my horse isnt fast as polished steel. Funny how the sign reads no weapons and they are selling knives, stun guns and batons in the building. I see this often at fairs and festivals.....No weapons allowed, well of course unless you pay to get in and purchase them here, same with alcohol.

Last edited: