• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, Safeway has a policy of giving robbers what they want

Freedom1Man

I learned today that if someone tries to rob a cashier the cashier is supposed to simply give the criminal anything they ask for. The cashier is not supposed to resist for their own safety. I don't think that they understand that resistance is safer than compliance.

Also if you work at a Safeway, and your a gun carrier, you cannot shop at Safeway while armed, even off the clock without special permission in writing.

Learned that Safeway has not read the case against UPS also, Safeway claims that it had the authority to search your car, if you work there, to see if you have anything in your car that is prohibited via their policies (eg firearms and knives). If you do have those in your car you can be terminated from working there.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
No knives? Then they go and issue you a very sharp box cutter?
I don't actually work for Safeway, but as a contractor working in Safeway I've seen first hand how their hands are tied even when it come to shoplifting. They really aren't allowed to do squat.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
No knives? Then they go and issue you a very sharp box cutter?
I don't actually work for Safeway, but as a contractor working in Safeway I've seen first hand how their hands are tied even when it come to shoplifting. They really aren't allowed to do squat.

People working there know the conditions of employment, yes? But to not allow a person to defend themselves, a natural right, is not right IMO.

cpgrad08

People working there know the conditions of employment, yes? But to not allow a person to defend themselves, a natural right, is not right IMO.

You can defend yourself, but you will most likely will be fired but their will be no legal charges against you.

Jeff Hayes

As an employee of Safeway why would you want to defend Safeway's money?

If you do not like the rules work someplace else, Safeway can not force you to work there.

Freedom1Man

As an employee of Safeway why would you want to defend Safeway's money?

If you do not like the rules work someplace else, Safeway can not force you to work there.

True but if you work there, you cannot OC/CC while shopping there.

So, you'll have to shop at the competition if you want to CC/OC.

I think it's funny (stupid) for that policy to exist.

cpgrad08

Why in the world would you claim that? Prosecutors file groundless charges against people engaged in legal behaviors they don't like all the time.

DO you think Safeway would want the BAD PR of pressing charges if one their Employees saved lives and property with a gun?

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

True but if you work there, you cannot OC/CC while shopping there.

So, you'll have to shop at the competition if you want to CC/OC.

I think it's funny (stupid) for that policy to exist.

I absolutely agree that Safeway's policy is stupid but they get to make the rules on their property just like I do not allow anyone to open carry n my property on the fifth Saturday of the month wearing Levis, a cowboy hat and a pink shirt silly but my rules.

Freedom1Man

I absolutely agree that Safeway's policy is stupid but they get to make the rules on their property just like I do not allow anyone to open carry n my property on the fifth Saturday of the month wearing Levis, a cowboy hat and a pink shirt silly but my rules.

I can choose to exercise my rights and shop somewhere else, while working there, until such rule is changed.

EMNofSeattle

Work for Dutch bros instead, they will allow you to defend yourself. Your Safeway horror story is standard across retail. I think in the interest of public policy we need a law imposing a civil penalty of 5 million dollars per offense for any company that disciplines an employee for lawful self defense. That would end the silliness real quick... I would not be willing to fight for an employers money, but if the robber says get on your knees, you ain't getting off those knees on your own power if you comply,,,,

Last edited: