Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: May i OC a holstered handgun if i am inder 21 in Arizona?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Alejo6217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    8

    Lightbulb May i OC a holstered handgun if i am inder 21 in Arizona?

    My brother owns a few side-arms and would like to give me a handgun(Beretta 92fs) so that I can OC the vehicle and were it is safe to carry. Can he just hand over the gun to me or is there a certain type of transfer that has to be completed, indicating that the firearm is now mine? I have read mixed forums and articles that read that OC in Arizona under 21 is legal. Others say that you must be 21 to OC or CC. What's the bottom line here? Can I open carry under 21? Thanks advance for any replies that I receive

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    18 for open carry, 21 for concealing.

    There is no transfer paperwork or registration in free states like AZ.

    Enjoy your gun and carry safely and responsibly, which also means carry at all times.

    Welcome to OCDO. Stick around and enjoy the company!

    Here is a good site for many of the details: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-23-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Adding to MAC702----

    A handgun/firearm is a powerful tool. As such it needs to be treated with the respect such power deserves. While I'll object to any GOVERNMENT requirement of a certain level of training being needed to carry, but just the same, I strongly recommend one train and practice to obtain and maintain proficiency in its use. Carried and used in a lawful manner with wisdom and discretion. Remember the old saw about to the hammer everything is a nail--- Don't do this with your firearm. There are times where the gun is the only option you have available--- I'd recommend the gun NOT be the first choice in the use of force continuum when other methods are available.

    Don't read this to say "I don't like OC"! Contrarily, I like OC very much and carry in that manner 95-99% of the time by personal choice. I rue the day I need it and don't have it but I do hope that I can carry it for a lifetime and never need to use it.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  4. #4
    Regular Member Alejo6217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    8

    I will certainly respect the power of a firearm.

    Thank you guys for the replies. You guys provided valuable information that helped me well.

  5. #5
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    1. Know the law. 18-21 public gun carry is covered in ARS 13-3102.B.3. I personally avoid websites that purport to have all gun laws in all states. The chance for error is just too great.

    2. Buy or borrow the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide. Alan Korwin does a great job of summarizing our gun laws.

    3. Join AzCDL. Our goal is to restore and protect your right to keep and bear arms.

    4. Even though you can't have a CCW permit yet, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get some serious training. A typical CCW class will at least teach you how to "carry" a gun, which is a good start. However to "use" a gun for self-defense is entirely different training. My personal recommendation is Front Sight. You can pick up a lifetime Front Sight membership for $200 at AzCDL's online store.

    Fred

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Alejo6217 View Post
    My brother owns a few side-arms and would like to give me a handgun(Beretta 92fs) so that I can OC the vehicle and were it is safe to carry. Can he just hand over the gun to me or is there a certain type of transfer that has to be completed, indicating that the firearm is now mine? I have read mixed forums and articles that read that OC in Arizona under 21 is legal. Others say that you must be 21 to OC or CC. What's the bottom line here? Can I open carry under 21? Thanks advance for any replies that I receive
    Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Tucson Alejo6217!

    Here's a link to an AZ thread along the same lines:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...laws-correctly

    The basics have been covered well, and I can personally vouch for the usefulness of Alan Korwin's book.
    As to AzCDL, there's a reason I'll be tabling with the folks next weekend as well as renewing my membership.

    Besides what has already been covered, I would recommend reading some threads on OCDO regarding the carrying of a small video recorder to record any and all interactions (gun-grabbers have been known to make the Devil look honest).

    Please, AT THE VERY LEAST, carry a voice recorder. Applicable law can be found in ARS Title 13 Chapter 30 (Eavesdropping and Communications). As long as you are part of the conversation, you don't need to inform the person (LEO, Opinion Enforcement Officer, or anti) that you are recording the conversation.

    Other than a quality holster and tucking in your shirt to avoid accidental concealment (almost comically within the law), I imagine you would be good to go. Best of luck, and glad to have you around.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 08-23-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    IMHO, licenses are for subjects.

  8. #8
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by g21sfpistol View Post "I'll draw just as fast or faster than someone with a OC holster."
    That would be interesting to see.

    As someone who attempted a Combat Master's course the difference between concealed and open carry presentation can be significant, like about 1/2 second from my experience.

    Fred

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    That would be interesting to see.

    As someone who attempted a Combat Master's course the difference between concealed and open carry presentation can be significant, like about 1/2 second from my experience.

    Fred

    More if your clothes do something unexpected and get in the way more than you practice with.

  10. #10
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    May i OC a holstered handgun if i am inder 21 in Arizona?

    Ahh... Lots of internet commandos seem to stop by here at times. I remember one guy posting he carried his pistol in the cargo pocket of his shorts? He claimed it was a faster draw than OC? Sure it is ....

    "Hold on bad person ... While I reach down fumble with the Velcro or buttons on my cargo shorts, fish for my pistol and draw a bead on you in one fluid motion..,, "...sure..,
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-24-2014 at 01:28 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  11. #11
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    More if your clothes do something unexpected and get in the way more than you practice with.
    Amen! Practice is the key word. There are really only two ways to expose your pistol. With an open shirt or vest it's a sweeping movement with your gun hand. With a closed shirt you need both hands to pull up the shirt.

    Back to the original issue of presenting faster from concealment; regardless of the method used, under the best conditions and with lots of practice, it takes about a half second longer to present your pistol from under a concealment garment than from open carry.

    The skills test at Front Sight is done wearing a concealment garment over your holstered firearm with your arms hanging loose at your side (no TV gunfighter stuff). At 7 yards, you get 1.9 seconds to put two rounds into the thoracic cavity area (just hitting anywhere on the body doesn't count). The Combat Master time is 1.5 seconds. And that's just shooting holes in paper in a training environment with no one shooting back where the only stress is from the clock.

    Fred

  12. #12
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    May i OC a holstered handgun if i am inder 21 in Arizona?

    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    1. Know the law. 18-21 public gun carry is covered in ARS 13-3102.B.3. I personally avoid websites that purport to have all gun laws in all states. The chance for error is just too great.

    2. Buy or borrow the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide. Alan Korwin does a great job of summarizing our gun laws.

    3. Join AzCDL. Our goal is to restore and protect your right to keep and bear arms.

    4. Even though you can't have a CCW permit yet, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get some serious training. A typical CCW class will at least teach you how to "carry" a gun, which is a good start. However to "use" a gun for self-defense is entirely different training. My personal recommendation is Front Sight. You can pick up a lifetime Front Sight membership for $200 at AzCDL's online store.

    Fred
    @Fred - is that the membership that allows anyone to take just about any of the classes there including: NV CCW, pistol/shotgun/carbine etc... for only $200? Those classes individually cost more don't they? If so, wow! What a deal one gets simply by joining AZCDL.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-24-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  13. #13
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Fred - is that the membership that allows anyone to take just about any of the classes there including: NV CCW, pistol/shotgun/carbine etc... for only $200? Those classes individually cost more don't they? If so, wow!
    Yep - It's an "all you can eat" Diamond Front Sight membership (does not include an AzCDL membership) that allows you to take any and all classes as often as you wish. All for $200.

    I paid several thousand dollars for my membership but have been taking classes for about 10 years so I more than made my money back.

    We snatched these up when Front Sight was offering them as a promotional item. The retail value of their classes equates to $500 per class day. If you only take one class you got a screaming deal and the training is world class.

    Like I mentioned before, a CCW class only teaches you how to "carry" a gun. Classes like ones at Front Sight teach you how to "use" a gun for self-defense. Most of the training is on the range but is intermingled with classroom lectures covering things like dealing with the aftermath of a self-defense shooting and what to expect.

    Fred

  14. #14
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Yep - It's an "all you can eat" Diamond Front Sight membership (does not include an AzCDL membership) that allows you to take any and all classes as often as you wish. All for $200.
    SNIP...
    Like I mentioned before, a CCW class only teaches you how to "carry" a gun. Classes like ones at Front Sight teach you how to "use" a gun for self-defense. Most of the training is on the range but is intermingled with classroom lectures covering things like dealing with the aftermath of a self-defense shooting and what to expect.

    Fred
    I'm intrigued. Just the video shows me it isn't one of the "tacticool" operator courses, instead focusing on realistic scenarios. And it is a life membership (if I understood it correctly)?

    Does AzCDL ever organize a carpool up to Front Sight? That would be my biggest difficulty, really.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  15. #15
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I'm intrigued. Just the video shows me it isn't one of the "tacticool" operator courses, instead focusing on realistic scenarios. And it is a life membership (if I understood it correctly)? Does AzCDL ever organize a carpool up to Front Sight? That would be my biggest difficulty, really.
    The basic class is primarily standing and shooting and building basic skills. No Rambo stuff. No Boot Camp. Adult training. Class includes home invasion and house clearing scenarios but mostly learning how to rapidly present and shoot with accuracy. There is a timed skills test at the end so you can see how much you have learned.

    AzCDL has been organizing an annual pilgrimage to Front Sight for about 6 years now. Every Spring.

    Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 08-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Yep - It's an "all you can eat" Diamond Front Sight membership (does not include an AzCDL membership) that allows you to take any and all classes as often as you wish. All for $200. ...
    Plus $50 per year that you actually attend classes for the "background check."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •