Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: UMW Student Newspaper changes name; deemed offensive & 'violent'

  1. #1
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    UMW Student Newspaper changes name; deemed offensive & 'violent'

    Anyone here regard "The Bullet" as connoting violence?

    University newspaper changes its name because it ‘propagated violence’
    The student-run newspaper at the University of Mary Washington (UMW) is changing its name from The Bullet to The Blue & Gray Press over concerns that its original name carried violent connotations.

    “The editorial board felt that the paper’s name, which alludes to ammunition for an artillery weapon, propagated violence and did not honor our school’s history in a sensitive manner,” the press release provided to Campus Reform states. “The board intends to remain faithful to the history our university stands upon, and we continue to honor this history both in a respectful and meaningful way.”

    Alison Thoet, the paper’s editor-in-chief, told Campus Reform in an interview that the editorial board felt the old name was “a little outdated” and was more representative of the Fredericksburg, Va., community’s ties to the Civil War and not the school as a whole.

    “In this day and age, no one really cares about the Civil War. We wanted something that was updated,” Thoet said.
    Anyone?

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    PC for its own sake hardly fits the image freedom of thought and honest discourse.

    They wanted to get away from the Civil War connection, yet picked a new name that specifically reflects that still. Will they change the school colors and the name of the yearbook too? BTW, the latter is The Battlefield.

    Bullet points are used to draw attention to important information within a document so that a reader can identify the key issues and facts quickly.

    The originial name, The Bullet, could easily have been said to be about issues and facts......if it really needed to be justified.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    PC for its own sake hardly fits the image freedom of thought and honest discourse.

    They wanted to get away from the Civil War connection, yet picked a new name that specifically reflects that still. Will they change the school colors and the name of the yearbook too? BTW, the latter is The Battlefield.

    Bullet points are used to draw attention to important information within a document so that a reader can identify the key issues and facts quickly.

    The originial name, The Bullet, could easily have been said to be about issues and facts......if it really needed to be justified.
    Liberal indoctrination. Uhoh
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Too bad the new name totally sucks.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    [ ... ] Anyone?
    John R. Lott, Jr. blog site has the contact-us URL to which I responded @ 0630, "The Truth shall rise again!"
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "The Truth shall rise again!"
    Might just have to sig' this one!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Might just have to sig' this one!
    Don't take it personally.

    Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and guns and The Truth. God Bless US Bitter Clingers. American by the Grace of God, Southeron by my choice.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Might just have to sig' this one!
    Veritas vos liberabit = the truth shall set you free

    Then there is also: And Ye Shall Know the Truth and the Truth Shall Make You Free

    Lastly:

    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-23-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Aside from the fact that those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it, I question the new name "The Blue and Gray" in reference to “In this day and age, no one really cares about the Civil War. We wanted something that was updated,” Thoet said. One worries that journalistic hijinks are starting earlier and earlier in "journalists" careers.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Veritas vos liberabit = the truth shall set you free

    Then there is also: And Ye Shall Know the Truth and the Truth Shall Make You Free

    Lastly:

    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  11. #11
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Aside from the fact that those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it, I question the new name "The Blue and Gray" in reference to “In this day and age, no one really cares about the Civil War. We wanted something that was updated,” Thoet said. One worries that journalistic hijinks are starting earlier and earlier in "journalists" careers.
    They chose the name based on the school's colors, apparently oblivious to the fact that the school's colors were chosen due to the 4 major Civil War battles fought within 15 miles of the campus.

    If it weren't so pathetic, it would be funny.

    TFred

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Too bad the new name totally sucks.
    Should have gone with " The Bloody Hatchet"?

    or "The Ricochet"?

    or "The AR?"

    or "The Red Hot Poker"?

    or "The Paper Formerly Known as 'Bullet'"?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    PC for its own sake hardly fits the image freedom of thought and honest discourse.

    They wanted to get away from the Civil War connection, yet picked a new name that specifically reflects that still. Will they change the school colors and the name of the yearbook too? BTW, the latter is The Battlefield.

    Bullet points are used to draw attention to important information within a document so that a reader can identify the key issues and facts quickly.

    The original name, The Bullet, could easily have been said to be about issues and facts......if it really needed to be justified.
    What's hilarious is this gem:
    ... alludes to ammunition for an artillery weapon, propagated violence ...
    Now Grape, you have quite a handsome cannon.


    So shiny; so level-headed! What sort of bullets would you load it with?

    The lesson here is that those who are ignorant are disqualified from judging others.

  14. #14
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Veritas vos liberabit = the truth shall set you free

    Then there is also: And Ye Shall Know the Truth and the Truth Shall Make You Free

    Lastly:

    This can also be found at the enterance's at Autzwitz and other German concentration camps...

    Translated means the same thing....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thCAAL8FV0.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	11942  

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Now Grape, you have quite a handsome cannon.


    So shiny; so level-headed! What sort of bullets would you load it with?
    I have a propensity for canister at close range. Can't you tell?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    This can also be found at the enterance's at Autzwitz and other German concentration camps...

    Translated means the same thing....
    "Arbeit" = "Work". Nothing to do with truth.

    Thanks for Godwining the thread. With massive FAIL.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    California bans the Rebel flag ...

    I wonder if similar attempts will be made here? Look at the rationales ...

    Confederate Flag Doesn't Fly With California Lawmakers
    "No Californian should be exposed to the type of hate or threat of violence caused by the image of the Confederate flag," the bill's author, Assemblyman Isadore Hall III (D-Compton), said in a press release.

    ...

    But Hall explained on Monday, "AB 2444 respects Constitutional protections by restricting government speech, not individual speech, and will send a strong message that California and its taxpayers will not be in the business of promoting racism, exclusion, oppression or violence towards others."

    In this day and age, it seems a lot of politicians really care about Civil War symbols and legacies.
    I guess "Heritage, not Hate" doesn't fly on the Left Coast.

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    I object to the term, "blue".
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I object to the term, "blue".
    Overruled.

    Now, had you said you were offended by it....

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •