• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC experience

Joe Manco

I have applied for my CHP July 1st and I'm still waiting (EDIT: received my permit today 8-26-14 exactly 8 weeks). During the wait I have been "practicing" concealed cary on my home property and at work(I own the business so I can CC). For some reason I have been reluctant to OC anywhere but sporting good stores that allow OC and while fueling at gas stations. Today I felt comfortable enough to go inside King Soopers while open caring my SA Micro Compact 1911 on my hip. Wasn't inside for more then two minutes while in the soft drink isle an older gentlemen(like myself) looked right at my right hip and pointed at my gun, looked into my eyes and said "Thank You, did they give you any trouble?" I said "your welcome and nope". Then we went on our separate ways and kept shopping. He was wearing an untucked shirt and may or may not have been CC. Not another person(that I could notice) even glanced. Overall a great experience.

Last edited:

Arma1911

Good job and thank you for your post! I suspect you will have many more uneventful OC experiences in your future. Just the act of OCing, if done responsibly, does a lot to help the 2A cause. I tip my hat to you, sir.

The Truth

OCing for me has become as regular as putting my wallet in my pocket. When I put my belt on in the morning my leather holster is usually still there from the day before. I feel as comfortable open carrying as I do wearing my leatherman on my belt. It's simply another tool.

Keep doing what you're doing. Practice shooting often. Keep gaining confidence! I haven't been OCing very long. I'd wager to say most people won't see it, will ignore you, or will openly support you. That's my experience anyway. I've gotten one comment in the last 2 months, and it was my mailman in my front yard openly supporting me.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP... Today I felt comfortable enough to go inside King Soopers while open caring my SA Micro Compact 1911 on my hip. Wasn't inside for more then two minutes while in the soft drink isle an older gentlemen(like myself) looked right at my right hip and pointed at my gun, looked into my eyes and said "Thank You, did they give you any trouble?" I said "your welcome and nope". Then we went on our separate ways and kept shopping. He was wearing an untucked shirt and may or may not have been CC. Not another person(that I could notice) even glanced. Overall a great experience.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Joe Manco!:)

Glad to hear your OC experience was a positive one, and hope it is only the first of many to come.

Hamans-gallows

I have applied for my CHP July 1st and I'm still waiting. During the wait I have been "practicing" concealed cary on my home property and at work(I own the business so I can CC). For some reason I have been reluctant to OC anywhere but sporting good stores that allow OC and while fueling at gas stations. Today I felt comfortable enough to go inside King Soopers while open caring my SA Micro Compact 1911 on my hip. Wasn't inside for more then two minutes while in the soft drink isle an older gentlemen(like myself) looked right at my right hip and pointed at my gun, looked into my eyes and said "Thank You, did they give you any trouble?" I said "your welcome and nope". Then we went on our separate ways and kept shopping. He was wearing an untucked shirt and may or may not have been CC. Not another person(that I could notice) even glanced. Overall a great experience.

Kroger's official policy is that you may OC if it is legal for you to do so. "Carry" on, Sir.

Last edited: